When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Pre-V case?

rmcsherry

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

Well... a lot of info in this thread, but i still have no clue where i can get a nice pre-V case... :(

The $40,- of Ebay looks like crap, it's being sold by someone named Alpha-something and this is probably the seller of Alpha watches... cheap asian knock-offs with their own name on the dial.

Sooooo... if anyone can help me any further, i would really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I have finally found what I believe is the best preV case of the current crop out there.

This case has a saphire crystal with no AR and the preV double screws as standard.

I can't vouch for the quality as mine is still in transit but as soon as it gets here I will do a small review on it.

Case is $80 without shipping which is a bit steep but there are not many other options at the moment.

So do we have a winner here?

DSCN0005.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

I know the case BW, it's close but not quite, still quite a way to go. It's the case informally known as "Ruby" or "Angus" 111E case, it comes like this in S/S and Ti flavor (remember Ruby's PAM036 ?) It's slightly off looking as the bezel is higher and chunkier than 201/A, the top flat portion of the bezel is wider, lugs are deeper and too much cut off at the bottom (flat bottom part is much more accentuated compared with gen 201/A case). There's still that strap cutout between the lugs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the xtal although sapphire, comes with pink-ish A/R hue?

I've yet to receive the case in question and although not perfect it looks at least in the photos to be closer than our normal crop of cases.

I will take some photos of the case I receive once this arrives. As for the old 05 case and caseback I think we are all wishing these were still available.

I've yet to receive the case in question and although not perfect it looks at least in the photos to be closer than our normal crop of cases.

I will take some photos of the case I receive once this arrives. As for the old 05 case and caseback I think we are all wishing these were still available.

Cool thanks mate,

so is this case the one you got thru Mary (www.swissgallory.com) as a spare "111G" case she used to sell as spare part only? Her price was also $80 last time I enquired. If that's the case, it may well be the better one than I thought it is, as Ruby/Angus case still has quite a way to go :)

keep us posted,

cheers,

b

Edited by babola

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so the PreV case that I have been waiting on has arrived in my hot hands and has some good points and some bad points to it.

IMG_1095.jpg

It has rounded and stubby lugs which are nice and the case set also comes with some pre v screws which means you don't have to drill your case if you buy the ebay ones.

Having said that they are not all that accurate and the ebay set are the preferred preV screws.

IMG_1098.jpg

The crystal is Sapphire with no AR and no pink hue to it like Davidsens crystals.

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

So far the case is looking pretty good but it does have some bad points.

Firstly test fitting the T48 crown.. The tube in the case is just a little bigger inside than our standard rep tubes and there is a little bit of wobble...It does not fit in as snuggly as I would like.

Also there are no flat portions where the crownguard feet sit so the V crownguard does not sit flatly at all on this case.

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1105.jpg

I think if this was going off to The Zigmeister to mod then this would not be a problem but for the home modders there is a little bit more work than usual in getting the crown and the Crownguard to fit and look perfect.

The last bad point is it has the strap cutouts which I believe are not accurate for a good pre V case.

IMG_1096.jpg

This case set did come with a crown and crownguard but they are normal rep fare and the crown is a throw away as it is just crap....Here's a photo to laugh about..Not sure what the hell the blue stuff is.

IMG_1100.jpg

So if you are prepared to work with this case then it could be pretty good but all in all I think it has it's share of weakness's just like the rest.

The caseset cost me $80 and was from Mary at www.swissgallory.com... Her email address is watchgallery88@gmail.com and she takes paypal.

I had a very smooth transaction with Mary and she is very nice but I never bought a watch from her website so please take all the usual cautions if you decide to do this....Besides her prices are high and why deviate from our standard dealers for these.

I hope this mini review helps out a bit.

Not that bad at all, The Zigmeister could fix you up with a replacement crown tube, and the case can be re-finished to create flat base for CG feet to rest on. I know of at least one person that can do this for you, he has been doing this in the past to fit diferent styled CGs and cases together.

The bezel looks the right shape and height for a pre-V case, xtal is slightly recessed than it should be, IMO. Case side edges could be a little sharper, to me it looks like they're rounded, especially lugs and 4 corners, but that's really nitpicking.

While it does require some case re-work, for $80, it's a great find and provides for a good base frorm which to start off, IMO.

cheers,

babola

I have one of these cases on its way from Mary also

It does seem to me from reading this post that there is a lot of similarity's with DSN cases (thicker tube & oversize screws) , I dont have a DSN to compare to but perhaps the same source as his?

Also Bwhitesox how is the CG that comes with it?

I dont have a V CG so I would be using the one that comes with it but from the pictures I received it looked like it fitted the case fairly well

Thanks Bwhitesox,

looks like I'll need to do some work on this one, ah well you live & learn :)

Great review Bwhitesox!

IMO the CG issue makes this case a no go. Not only will the look of the watch be obviously different from the way the CG and case meet, but you'll never be able to use the V CG on a different case if an improvement is ever made. Speaking of which, I hope there is a new "Davidsen" out there (a kind of like Davidsen except with the skill to actually get things right) reading these threads. With all the dials and CG available, looks like a run of accurate PreV cases and backs would sell out mighty quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note for any thinking about the case from swissgallory, I wouldn't bother.

I received mine a few days ago & its not the same as Bwhitesox's version, basically its a standard rep case with normal screwbars, it has a strange CG that when the lever is in the locked position it sits around 5mm from the case & if that wasn't bad enough no casebacks I have will fit ( standard rep or DSN).

Others may have seen this case before but its a new one on me, I havn't bothered to get in touch with Mary yet & to be honest I would imagine it will be a waste of time as I would guess I will get the standard its all we have reply.

Looks like the search continues