When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling all gen GMT 6542 Experts

freddy333

Help me choose the best bezel.  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which bezel looks more like the genuine GMT Master 6542? (Please vote ONLY if you are familiar with the genuine 6542)

• A
    • B

I voted B, not that I'm really an expert. So I went to the old standby- ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-Rolex-GMT-Master-...Q2em118Q2el1247

An old 6542 from Watch-navi

And a bezel from Pandora's box

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-GMT-Master-6542-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Haven't checked Michael Young yet to see what he has.

A is definitely most accurate tho not quite right. B is for the 6536/6538/5508/5510 and it's even sorts wrong too.

Considering what was even available 8 years ago both are lightyears better than that.

Go with A but get it made from (poorly) plated brass.

Very confusing. :g:

The gen 6542 was apparently made with 2 (& possibly 3) different bezel variations, depending on which vendor's stock Rolex had on hand that day. 1 version looked very similar to my A (like Avitt's 1st link, but which has deeper beveling from the bottom of the teeth to the bottom of the bezel) & the other version is very similar to B (like Avitt's 2nd link). Initially, both were made of brass with a zinc plating (which lasted about as long as the average 'gold' plating does on a rep watch, tending to fade/wear off & for the same reasons) & later made out of steel.

So, either version is actually correct. The question is which of the 2 bezels -- A or B, as you see them, will be best on this project watch?

Before posting the poll, I was pretty sold on A, especially, since it already looks naturally beat up. Then, when the 1st comments started rolling in, I was persuaded that B was the better options. But, now, I am confused again. :g:

You could use "B" and attempt to match the 6542 details to the bezel so they're period appropriate. But I'd say to go with the "A" bezel more for the reason of distinctly setting it apart from a NCG Sub case. I mean, what's to stop me from dropping in a GMT movement in my 6536, using my coin edge bezel with a bakelite insert, and calling it a 6542? You can avoid that with bezel "A".

You could use "B" and attempt to match the 6542 details to the bezel so they're period appropriate. But I'd say to go with the "A" bezel more for the reason of distinctly setting it apart from a NCG Sub case. I mean, what's to stop me from dropping in a GMT movement in my 6536, using my coin edge bezel with a bakelite insert, and calling it a 6542? You can avoid that with bezel "A".

Nanuq, can you clarify your comment a bit? Are you saying that A is more period correct, but B would make it look different than a Sub case?