When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kit List

TeeJay

Okay, quite a while back, I ordered a 'Hong Kong Tactical Vest', for use while camping. However, despite my time as a Scout, I'm having trouble thinking of what to load the various pockets with :lol: Here's what I have so far...

In the elastic loops on the left chest, I have two waterproof 9 LED mini torches, permanantly mounted, facing down. One is stock, the other, I have tinted the lens red to be more 'night sight friendly' :) In other pockets, I have... Four glo-sticks, a wind-up LED torch, a scarfe, and plans to fit a plastic 'poster tube' to the back, so I can put some things in it. I'm thinking I should have a first aid kit, and other assorted stuff, but can't think what :lol: Normally, I would say batteries for my torches, but, as I have the wind-up backup, I know that's not such an issue. Any suggestions will be greatfully received :)

Well....a few watches ;)

Of course, that goes without saying :lol: I figured my 187-fantasy, on a nylon strap would be suitably rugged for outdoor use :) (come to think of it, so would any of my other PAMs, afterall, they were designed as tool watches, but I wouldn't want to get them beaten up :lol: )

Start with the 10 Scout Essentials (notice there are no flashlights on this list) and add in

what will fit in your pockets. Some of these won't fit, but it's a starting point if you have

a backpack. For mountain biking I use a small daypack and I bring compass, map,

matches, tire kit, first aid, mirror, water.

Scout Essentials

1. Map and Compass

2. Sun and Insect Protection

3. Water Bottles filled with disinfected water

4. Rain Gear and extra layered clothing

5. First Aid Kit

6. Matches

7. Tell someone your itinerary

8. Extra food

9. Pocket Knife

10. Watch

For backpacking you can use as guidelines some of the checklists I've put together for my Troop:

http://www.nanuq-alaska.net/Troop215/packdiagram.jpg

http://www.nanuq-alaska.net/Troop215/backpackchklist.htm

http://www.nanuq-alaska.net/Troop215/summerlist.jpg

http://www.nanuq-alaska.net/Troop215/winterlist.jpg

Start with the 10 Scout Essentials (notice there are no flashlights on this list) and add in

what will fit in your pockets. Some of these won't fit, but it's a starting point if you have

a backpack. For mountain biking I use a small daypack and I bring compass, map,

matches, tire kit, first aid, mirror, water.

Scout Essentials

1. Map and Compass

2. Sun and Insect Protection

3. Water Bottles filled with disinfected water

4. Rain Gear and extra layered clothing

5. First Aid Kit

6. Matches

7. Tell someone your itinerary

8. Extra food

9. Pocket Knife

10. Watch

For backpacking you can use as guidelines some of the checklists I've put together for my Troop:

http://www.nanuq-alaska.net/Troop215/packdiagram.jpg

http://www.nanuq-alaska.net/Troop215/backpackchklist.htm

http://www.nanuq-alaska.net/Troop215/summerlist.jpg

http://www.nanuq-alaska.net/Troop215/winterlist.jpg

That's fantastic, thankyou :) Of course, much stuff I will carry in my regular rucksack, but I figured that it would be good to make full use of the vest's capabilities :)

Easy:

:)

Not so easy in my corner of the world, but, I would if I could :)

[Edit to add]

This is what it looks like :)

Viper_Hong_Kong_Police_vest.jpg

The back has 3 pockets on it. One, about the size of a VHS Cassette, one which is large enough to hold a large pashmina fully folded, and one which is large enough to hold a Sky Remote control. Those are all positioned on the left side of the back. On the right side, there are no pockets, but three strap loops. This is where I plan to secure the poster tube, to carry things like a change of dry clothes :)

You need to add 100 feet (30Meters) of "550" cord, an MRE (Meal Ready to Eat) and one or two butane lighters and some water proof matches. A wet weather ponch is not a bad idea too.

Awesome suggestions, thanks :)

With regards the butane lighters, am I right in thinking those are the ones which produce a 'mini-blow torch' effect, or are they the 'flameless' lighters?

Awesome suggestions, thanks :)

With regards the butane lighters, am I right in thinking those are the ones which produce a 'mini-blow torch' effect, or are they the 'flameless' lighters?

Those are great, but a couple of disposable Bics will do.

Also, a few "ziplock" plastic bags in various sizes and a small hygiene kit is a nice addition. Make sure you take foot powder and some extra socks too! A small coil of 18 or 20 Gage steal wire goes a long way also along with a polished stainless steel mirror. I'm not sure what kind of adventure you are planning but these are things that I always have with me on patrol (excluding weapons of course).

Also, consider purchasing some small "Pelikan" water proof cases to keep important things dry. And never go anywhere without a "Leatherman Tool"!

Cheers

Those are great, but a couple of disposable Bics will do.

Also, a few "ziplock" plastic bags in various sizes and a small hygiene kit is a nice addition. Make sure you take foot powder and some extra socks too! A small coil of 18 or 20 Gage steal wire goes a long way also along with a polished stainless steel mirror. I'm not sure what kind of adventure you are planning but these are things that I always have with me on patrol (excluding weapons of course).

Also, consider purchasing some small "Pelikan" water proof cases to keep important things dry. And never go anywhere without a "Leatherman Tool"!

Cheers

All excellent suggestions, please keep them coming :) I remember watching the Stargate movie, and Daniel rummaging all through his equipment pouches, but unable to find suncream :lol: I take it the foot powder is to keep feet dry on hikes? No major adventure planned, maybe just a weekend's camping, and, while we'll have stuff in our bags, I figured a 'survival kit' of sorts in the vest might come in handy :)

Bullets and water!

Sun cream

insect repelant

condoms

Tampons

foil blanket

and if you smoke spare ciggys

Well, I haven't got a gun, so I don't think the bullets would be much use :lol: Everything else though, excellent idea :) The pocket on the upper right chest is a perfect size for a pack of smokes. Only thing is, I don't smoke :lol:

I do though, i once sat in a hedgerow for about 3 days and had ran out, dried grass and tea leaves are no substitute i can tell you

It's funny you should say that, I once bought some 'nature sticks' for my guinea pigs, which, for all the world, looked like green cigars :o It was basicly just dried grasses in some kind of wrapping, but, when the guineas turned their noses up to them, I thought I'd see how they smoked, and, it was actually a very good smoke :lol: It actually burned like a proper cigar/cigarette, and didn't taste too bad. Okay, not one of my proudest moments, but, I wasn't going to let them go to waste :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the kit list is building, and nearly complete. Well, it's a few things missing, but I think I've got the essentials. Let me know what you think....

Three 'bandana'-size cloths (for use as bandanas or triangular bandages)

A4-sized zip lock bag (containing a sheet of tissuepaper as kindling) (could be used as emergency 'food bowl')

One 'carrier bag' (without any holes in it. I figured it would do for an 'emergency latrine' :lol: )

One 'tool card' (Magnifier, compass, blade, can opener, multi-wrenches)

Four glo-sticks

One pack of 24 waterproof matches (in heavy-duty plastic waterproof case) which is attached to a luminous compass key-fob

Contents of three first aid kits (everything from plasters to condoms)

Packs of batteries for vest and hand torches

Two permanantly mounted downward facing LED (9 LEDs) torches (one red-tinted, the other with stock lens)

One 'windup' torch (3 LEDs)

One spare 'mini-maglite'-style torch (3 LEDS, with lens red-tinted)

One Stanley Knife with five spare blades

Two Sharpie pens (double ended - Fine and Ultra Fine)

One Butane 'blowtorch' lighter

One black pashmina

Platypus water bladder (2 ltr capacity, but only .5ltr useable capacity in the pocket) Drinking line is fed through the same elastic straps as the torches, and stows neatly under the padded collar

One ready to eat meal (Not an MRE, but a camping meal which is edible hot or cold)

One Spork

One tube foot powder

One 'poster tube' containing: 1000 rolled plastic bags, dry pair of socks, and two SS thermos flasks (one for drink, one for spaghetti)

One waterproof poncho

One pack of tissues

One mini 'tool kit' of hex wrenches and screw-drivers (to be upgraded to Leatherman tool in time)

To come...

550 cord

Stainless Mirror

Sun block

Insect repellent

What do folks think? Am I missing anything vital

An emergency bivvy bag, here's one on ebay mate, 310084383871 that's the ebay number for you to have a look. They can be a real lifesaver, cheap, emergency shelter, even for storing kit and they usually have printed survival instructions on them too :thumbsupsmileyanim:

An emergency bivvy bag, here's one on ebay mate, 310084383871 that's the ebay number for you to have a look. They can be a real lifesaver, cheap, emergency shelter, even for storing kit and they usually have printed survival instructions on them too :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It's definitely on my 'to get' list now, thanks for the suggestion, amigo :) Well, I'm about to put 'the kit' into operation, let's see how well it holds out on an all night paranormal investigation B)

• 1 month later...

Okay, so I had been using this:

Viper_Hong_Kong_Police_vest.jpg

as the base for my kit for taking on paranormal investigations (up to 8 hours duration), and future camping trips. I decided to down-size the vest to one of these:

Vest-SA-DPM-camo-F_03.jpg

and, despite down-sizing the vest, it has actually increased the amount of what I can comfortably carry ^_^

I've added four additional 'pouches' on the sidestraps between the front and rear sections for carrying some of the smaller items, but I am really impressed by the capacity of the large front pockets. I can fit two 1 ltr thermos flasks in one pocket, thus eliminating the need for the poster-tube to store them, and improving my mobility ^_^

Here's an updated list:

Three 'bandana'-size cloths (for use as bandanas or triangular bandages)

A4-sized zip lock bag (containing sheets of tissuepaper as kindling) (could be used as emergency 'food bowl')

One 'carrier bag' (without any holes in it. I figured it would do for an 'emergency latrine' :lol: )

One 'tool card' (Magnifier, compass, blade, can opener, multi-wrenches)

Six chemical glo-sticks

Two Battery glo-sticks (Essentially a small torch, with a 3 inch red-tinted plastic cone instead of a torch lens)

One pack of 24 waterproof matches (in heavy-duty plastic waterproof case) which is attached to a luminous compass key-fob

Contents of three first aid kits (everything from plasters to condoms)

Four packs of batteries for vest torches

Two permanently mounted downward facing LED (9 LEDs) torches (one red-tinted, the other with stock lens, both torches modified with wraps of non-slip matting to maintain their position in the elastic straps)

One heavy-duty hand torch (5 LEDs, with lens red-tinted)

One 20mm wide roll electricians tape

One backup 'windup' torch (3 LEDs, with lens red-tinted)

One Stanley Knife with five spare blades

One Sharpie pens (double ended - Fine and Ultra Fine)

One Butane 'blowtorch' lighter

One black pashmina

One black long-sleeved T-Shirt

One 2 ltr Platypus water bladder (Now useable to full capacity) Drinking line is fed through an existing flap in the top of the upper spine pouch, and secured to a shoulder strap for easy access

One ready to eat meal (Not an MRE, but a camping meal which is edible hot or cold, with room in lower spine pouch for about 4 more)

One Spork

One tube foot powder

One can insect repellent

Four disposable/re-useable waterproof ponchos

One pack of tissues

Two bulldog clips

One pair sunglasses (prevents me getting dazzled by flash-photography in dark, or, makes useful spare pair of sunglasses for daytime wear :lol: )

One mini 'tool kit' of hex wrenches and screw-drivers (to be upgraded to Leatherman tool in time)

Two 1 ltr stainless steel thermos flasks (One for spaghetti, one for additional water in 'un-burstable' container)

All distributed thus:

DSCN0299.jpg

To come...

550 cord

Stainless Mirror

Sun block

Bivvy Bag

20mm wide roll glow in the dark electricians tape (for securing camera wires in a visible manner)

Can anyone think of anything else which would be useful?

"paranormal investigations" ???????

Seriously ..... W T F LOL

Essentially, sitting in a dark room with spiritually inclinded Soccer Moms, asking if "Anyone is there..." :lol: If you watch a show called TAPS, that's the kind of investigations I go on, not 'Most Haunted-style' screamathons ;)

Guest carlsbadrolex

Well in that case... You will need a couple additional things.

1 10 pack of Trojan XL condoms

1 2fl oz. bottle of lube

1 digital camera

I dont know if soccer moms are the same everywhere... but if they are anything like they are here, you should "shoot the winning goal" on your very first outting!

Well in that case... You will need a couple additional things.

1 10 pack of Trojan XL condoms

1 2fl oz. bottle of lube

1 digital camera

I dont know if soccer moms are the same everywhere... but if they are anything like they are here, you should "shoot the winning goal" on your very first outting!

B):lol:B)

If only it was 'that kind' of get together :lol: At least the company is good :) Good to see you posting again, I hope things are good with you :) Can you think of anything vital I'm missing from my list (besides the pleasure kit? ;) )

All excellent suggestions, please keep them coming :) I remember watching the Stargate movie, and Daniel rummaging all through his equipment pouches, but unable to find suncream :lol: I take it the foot powder is to keep feet dry on hikes? No major adventure planned, maybe just a weekend's camping, and, while we'll have stuff in our bags, I figured a 'survival kit' of sorts in the vest might come in handy :)

Stargate movie !!!! Suncream !!!! YOUR GOING CAMPING FOR 2 DAYS in winter.