When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What watch would you buy for $5K?

dylan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gosh...I love this forum...very knowledgable folks...

thank you thank you thank you...

Ok...so I was in the city today...

1. first stop: korean lunch special in k-town 32nd/broadway

2. Soiffer Haskins @ 33rd/8th ave hosting a Tourneau trunk sale..

I thought it would be a bunch of watches that nobody wanted, like the Tourneau in Jersey...but

it wasn't so...some amazing watches...I checked out some Glashutte....the only affordable one was

a PanoDate on bracelet...Retail $10K +, but with the 50% off, $5K. It looked a little beat up and

while debating...someone else bought it...the rest of them were unaffordable since they were like

$100K retail (tourbillon, etc.)

So the set up was this...an inner circle watch counters (high end), an outer circle with a variety of stuff...

Some stuff were 20% off...most were 50% off...and the Tourneau branded stuff were 70% off...

From the IWC line...majority were the ingeniuer & aquatimer series....so essentially for $2500 you could

pick up a gen Ingy.

I was informed that they had Audemar Piguet Royal Oak & Offshore the very first day 9/6, for 50% off...

So you could pick up a APROO for like $10K.

I saw some lovely JLCs as well...

So if you're in the area, its worth checking out...even just to browse...

3. Next headed to the diamond district (47th/between 5th/6th Ave) Some Zeniths caught my eye (35% off retail)

and a Panerai. It was the PAM 74: essentially a 40mm version of the 196 but with a Zenith movement.

Found a used one for $7500, w. box/papers.

4. Headed to Tourneau on 57th...they just closed at 6 pm...so stopped by the 54th one...Tried on a variety of stuff...

I think I've narrowed it down to JLC, Glashutte, Zenith, Blancpain, UN....

And Delta is right...I do believe my mother-in-law would want me to go more dressy...

I realized today that although I love the 42mm + watches like the UN Maxi...they wear too large

to be dressy...even the Glashutte Sport Evo was just to 'clunky' for me...I'm going to

have to stick to the 40mm-ish range...

The PAM 74 was sooooo sweet..

So I guess I need to look into

-JLCs in the $5K range

-UN GMT Big Date

-Glashutte PanoReserve (big date + power reserve + running secs)

-Zenith Class Open, Chronomaster, etc..

Don't forget the original UN Marine Diver which is 40MM if you prefer that size Dave. Essentially the same watch and same movement - just without crown guards. Wears much smaller and much dressier - although the Big Date may be a more suitable hybrid as you always have the option of bracelet or leather there as it was meant to be...

263-55-7_92.jpg

gosh...I love this forum...very knowledgable folks...

thank you thank you thank you...

Ok...so I was in the city today...

1. first stop: korean lunch special in k-town 32nd/broadway

2. Soiffer Haskins @ 33rd/8th ave hosting a Tourneau trunk sale..

I thought it would be a bunch of watches that nobody wanted, like the Tourneau in Jersey...but

it wasn't so...some amazing watches...I checked out some Glashutte....the only affordable one was

a PanoDate on bracelet...Retail $10K +, but with the 50% off, $5K. It looked a little beat up and

while debating...someone else bought it...the rest of them were unaffordable since they were like

$100K retail (tourbillon, etc.)

So the set up was this...an inner circle watch counters (high end), an outer circle with a variety of stuff...

Some stuff were 20% off...most were 50% off...and the Tourneau branded stuff were 70% off...

From the IWC line...majority were the ingeniuer & aquatimer series....so essentially for $2500 you could

pick up a gen Ingy.

I was informed that they had Audemar Piguet Royal Oak & Offshore the very first day 9/6, for 50% off...

So you could pick up a APROO for like $10K.

I saw some lovely JLCs as well...

So if you're in the area, its worth checking out...even just to browse...

3. Next headed to the diamond district (47th/between 5th/6th Ave) Some Zeniths caught my eye (35% off retail)

and a Panerai. It was the PAM 74: essentially a 40mm version of the 196 but with a Zenith movement.

Found a used one for $7500, w. box/papers.

4. Headed to Tourneau on 57th...they just closed at 6 pm...so stopped by the 54th one...Tried on a variety of stuff...

I think I've narrowed it down to JLC, Glashutte, Zenith, Blancpain, UN....

And Delta is right...I do believe my mother-in-law would want me to go more dressy...

I realized today that although I love the 42mm + watches like the UN Maxi...they wear too large

to be dressy...even the Glashutte Sport Evo was just to 'clunky' for me...I'm going to

have to stick to the 40mm-ish range...

The PAM 74 was sooooo sweet..

So I guess I need to look into

-JLCs in the $5K range

-UN GMT Big Date

-Glashutte PanoReserve (big date + power reserve + running secs)

-Zenith Class Open, Chronomaster, etc..

thx Robbie...

its on the list...I realize the Maxi is too big on bracelet for me...

this is perfect...a 40mm version...

Ok...i'm going to check out the following tomorrow...

1. UN Marine Diver: 40mm (most likely silver dial) & UN GMT

2. Zenith 40mm & 44mm...see how I feel about size on leather strap...

3. Glashutte: Pano-series...

4. JLC

5. Blancpain

ITs a nice variety...the UN if I'm feeling a diver...The Zenith..I get dressy w. chrono + power reserve...The Glashutte..I get the BIG DATE + some complication depending on model...

I need to research JLCs & Blancpain

for the record, i've been hocking the maxi marine *but the chrono version) for longer than robbieg :)

and - also, the xxt zenith open - to me, its very classy and its HUGE - so, it makes a statement - super class, dress, HUGE, classic yet modern

can be had for 4900 somewheres on the internets

you get a 1 of a kind movement, you get a real collectors watch, you get a dress watch, you get a large watch

these are the 2 gens i would actually spend $$ on if i had it

here is the chrono

nardinyl6.jpg

Alright, I won`t pound again the virtues of the Go series with their beautiful inhouse movements that are a steal on the secondary market. :D You saw a Pano on bracelet that looked a little roughed up. Polish it man, the lucky buyer got a helluv a deal for that price.

Just saw your looking for around 40mm or so. This one is a bit larger at 44 mm. Has a inhouse movement and very nicely made, 7 day reserve.

Arnold & sons White Ensign.

I have the orange dial which came in 250 pieces. Several models from them available on the secondary market at a nice price Imo.

Wears like a 2007 or 06 Cousteau, in that the face is all dial along with a big clops at 6. Other options are red, yellow, or black dial which is the standard for it.

Very much a visual treat on the wrist. B)

Mine.

ezew139tw4.jpg

And no, not a Unitas reworked. I thought so myself, until I saw one disassembled.

ezew142cu7.jpg

UN, and Jlc would be my next targets. Add some bucks and get the Jlc compressor, magnificent...

Dave,

If you can go to 5500 I would look for a JLC Master Compressor Geographic from a reliable seller on Ebay (or similar). Covers dress/sport, unique movement, no rep out there, good 42mm size, actually useful if you travel or invest. Really everything but a visible movement.

At any rate, have fun!

@Dave: how did I know you were going to say that? :)

Ok...

So...I love the idea of a Jaeger...but I don't think its going to fit in the mother in law's budget...and i don't

have a lot of time to wait for a deal...seems the affordable ones are the master control and master compressor...but they aren't doing it for me...

The Glashutte Pano-lovely lovely...but I think I'm wanting a chrono...

UN Marine Diver: beautiful as well...but a very specific watch...not sure I should go the diver route...

also not sure about the overworked ETA mvmt...i'd like to get away from that..

IWC: I tried on a lot...and seriously...a fully modded rep version is just as good...i'm talking in terms of Ingys/3717...the higher end stuff obviously are amazing...but not affordable

Zenith: has chrono...exhibition front/back...power reserve...a cool running secs...

HOWEVER, some opinions are that they are on the downslide....it is definitely true you can get some

deep discounts on them...I've seen 44% retail.

SIGH....

Zenith: has chrono...exhibition front/back...power reserve...a cool running secs...

HOWEVER, some opinions are that they are on the downslide....it is definitely true you can get some

deep discounts on them...I've seen 44% retail.

SIGH....

Morons - Zenith made the first automatic chronograph mov't - it beats at a cool 36.6

zenith used to make the mov'ts for teh older daytonas before they went in house - this is a timeless watch for watch collectors - and WILL never go out of style (except for it being large) and there is a 40mm version, although i'd go big

if you have never tried one on - stop what your doing - (if your in NYC) and go find one - they wear twice as good as the juicy photos.

this watch looks impressive to non watch types - like grandma and Zenith will always be a collector item

and the El Primero might be one of the best movements (automatic - without ridiculous complications) EVER

This watch has it all

collector Value

History

AMAZING Movement

wow appeal (for normal people)

and they make it in 20 different versions my fav is the grey dial

http://www.collectorstime.com/zenith.php this is a good source - but looks like the fall of the dollar is killing us here.

i saw some cheaper prices on froogle.com but, i guess it comes down to which design you want

I had a Panomatic Reserve at one time. Really nice watch. I felt that it had the most uncluttered dial of the series. The Panograph has the coolest movement though I think it is out of the price range. Pano's are very dressy though and I wouldn't think of them as versatile.

One thing though - and the reason I got rid of mine - for some reason I just find that watches like this need to be gold or platinum to feel substantial. They just feel cheap in steel at 38-39MM on a strap. It isn't a snobby statement I swear but I think you know what I mean. I sold it because I realized that and then I realized that if I was going to spring for gold or platinum I would rather just wait and save until I could afford a Lange. I mean the Panos are nearly 10K retail for a steel watch, then you jump to 18K for gold and 28K for 950. For a little more you can have an L1 in gold or PT which is twice the watch IMO.

GO dress watches are nice, and it is cool that they can be had in steel for a low price, but for some reason I just think that cheapens the brand somehow. I wish they just made watches in precious metals and sold them for a price much lower than Lange, VC, Patek, etc. Plus, paying close to 10K for a steel watch on a strap is a little crazy IMO. If I were to own another GO it would be either one of their sporty offerings or a Senator.

thx Robbie...

its on the list...I realize the Maxi is too big on bracelet for me...

this is perfect...a 40mm version...

Ok...i'm going to check out the following tomorrow...

1. UN Marine Diver: 40mm (most likely silver dial) & UN GMT

2. Zenith 40mm & 44mm...see how I feel about size on leather strap...

3. Glashutte: Pano-series...

4. JLC

5. Blancpain

ITs a nice variety...the UN if I'm feeling a diver...The Zenith..I get dressy w. chrono + power reserve...The Glashutte..I get the BIG DATE + some complication depending on model...

I need to research JLCs & Blancpain

I always wanted to love the Zenith El Primero's but the one thing that keeps me away is the double bezel. I just don't care for doubles for some reason. Otherwise I would be all over one of these. I think the smaller 40MM size wears plenty big enough BTW in part because of the bezel. The 45MM IMO loses the elegance of the original design. Phoband is right. This is amazing watch for the dough if you can live with the bezel design. Funny how we all have such specific design elements that we like and don't like...

Morons - Zenith made the first automatic chronograph mov't - it beats at a cool 36.6

zenith used to make the mov'ts for teh older daytonas before they went in house - this is a timeless watch for watch collectors - and WILL never go out of style (except for it being large) and there is a 40mm version, although i'd go big

if you have never tried one on - stop what your doing - (if your in NYC) and go find one - they wear twice as good as the juicy photos.

this watch looks impressive to non watch types - like grandma and Zenith will always be a collector item

and the El Primero might be one of the best movements (automatic - without ridiculous complications) EVER

This watch has it all

collector Value

History

AMAZING Movement

wow appeal (for normal people)

and they make it in 20 different versions my fav is the grey dial

http://www.collectorstime.com/zenith.php this is a good source - but looks like the fall of the dollar is killing us here.

i saw some cheaper prices on froogle.com but, i guess it comes down to which design you want

I've settled on the watch.

Its the new 2008 Zenith Chronomaster Open Grande Date.

Retail price is beyond the $5K mark....but I'm getting a sick deal on it plus a bit of cash from me.

Some changes from previous years.

-hands are beveled, polished on one side, satin on the other for better definition

-power reserve has been skeletized as well as the date area

http://www.topperjewelers.com/watches/zeni...aster080penT_08

Let me know what you think....

thank you everyone for all the suggestions!!!!

Retail price is beyond the $5K mark....but I'm getting a sick deal on it plus a bit of cash from me.

-hands are beveled, polished on one side, satin on the other for better definition

That is a GREAT looking watch. I'm with you all the way on that one.

Nice choice Dave. Kinda the best of all worlds. Congrats.

• 4 years later...

For $5k, you can grab an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak 14790.

AP14790MBF2.jpg

The arabic dial as pictured above is one of my favorites.

Holy necropost!

5 years on...can this still be had for 5 k?

If so, somebody please point me in the right direction!