When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Report: Armstrong to ride in the '09 Tour

jkerouac

7-time winner to come out of retirement and race for Astana, sources say

What more does Armstrong have to prove? Step aside and let the next generation of (post doping) cycling leaders emerge.

The same goes for Brett Favre of (American) football. He should have retired with dignity rather than retiring, then coming back. What more does he have to prove?

It's ego, all ego, and the inability to let go and move on to the next challenges in life.

7-time winner to come out of retirement and race for Astana, sources say

What more does Armstrong have to prove? Step aside and let the next generation of (post doping) cycling leaders emerge.

I think it would be great to bring back awareness to cycling in North America following the crash of interest with all the drug scandals. All the major North American sponsors essentially dropped interest and the last couple Tours have only had marginal media interest.

An event like this come back would be great for the image of thge sport in the newer, supposedly "drug free" climate.

Michael Jordan tried it... didn't work. Armstrong would be a fool to do it.

But then again he already acted the fool and divorced that ever-patient wife of his. So maybe he's ready.

I've lost a lot of respect for the man.

I would think that the challenge of the competition itself is calling ... but more to point the "training" aspect for Lance Armstrong.... 6 day's a week in the mountains 7 to 8 hours a day of climbing .. that is how he trains... the 'race" is the end of the rainbow to the preperation and dedication .. I think that is what is missed..

I doubt the "glory" is what competitors are after.. I was actually hoping for his come back as I didn't have any interest in the Tour this year..

As for Bret Farve.. he (IMO) played brilliantly this past Sunday.. he still has a rocket arm .. his leadership is above anything else the Jets have had for a very long time.. he has energized the lack luster NY Jets.. and with Brady's likely season ending injury..... it leaves the division wide open and makes the Jets chances to make the playoffs that much more exciting..

Greenbay was stuck to make the decision that they did.. but I believe they would of done much better with Favre regardless of what Aaron Rogers would have done next year... when it's ...all about "winning now"

If these 2 athletes didn't have the ability to perform at a high level anymore then I would say "what for?" .. but they have the God given ability and the personal work ethic to still compete at a high level.. I say it's great for the Sports involved..

If these 2 athletes didn't have the ability to perform at a high level anymore then I would say "what for?" .. but they have the God given ability and the personal work ethic to still compete at a high level.. I say it's great for the Sports involved..

Couldn't have said it better myself...

...And, if Jay Cutler doesn't emerge as one of the top QBs in the AFC this year, I'll be leading the Elway comeback movement!! :D

Just kidding...Johnny Hero is a little too old now.

The sport clearly needs something as it is dead as it currently stands. I say good for him. It his reputation at risk and no one else's. Cycling can't be the worse for his reentry. And yes I agree that he better have a decent team to back him or it will be a disaster. It may well be a disaster anyhow but can cycling be any the worse for it? Maybe he will reignite a little more interest in the sport.

The sport clearly needs something as it is dead as it currently stands. I say good for him. It his reputation at risk and no one else's. Cycling can't be the worse for his reentry. And yes I agree that he better have a decent team to back him or it will be a disaster. It may well be a disaster anyhow but can cycling be any the worse for it? Maybe he will reignite a little more interest in the sport.

I have to admit I haven't watched the last 2 tours. When he was riding I would follow it online while at work kinda like I do with this site. :)

The thing is, no athlete, not Jordan, Armstrong, Phelps, Favre, Maradona, Woods, Beckham, etc.... is bigger than their sport itself.

I respect what Armstrong accomplished, but to come back now doesn't do the sport of cycling any favors, it just casts a different kind of shadow over the next generation of champions.

It would create the impression that there is Lance..... and then everyone else. Not good for the sport.

I watched and cheered from Armstrong during every one of his seven tour championships.

I watched less of this year's tour than in my memory. And 2007's Tour was like watching a train wreck. You kept asking yourself, "could it get any worse?".... and it did.

But if Lance follows through with this "comeback," I will find a worthy adversary to cheer for against him.

I would even prefer that Lance "pick" a next generation champion and mentor him to the top levels. That would be classy.

May be just a rumor...Astana is now denying:

Lance Armstrong's reported comeback won't take place with the Astana cycling team.

"He is no part of our team," Astana team press officer Philippe Maertens told The Associated Press in an e-mail. "Team Astana has no plans with him."

The cycling journal VeloNews, citing anonymous sources, reported on its Web site Monday that the 36-year-old seven-time Tour de France champion would compete in the Tour and four other road races with Astana in 2009.

But Astana team director Johan Bruyneel, who was with Armstrong for all seven Tour wins from 1999-2005, told cyclingnews.com that he was unaware of any Armstrong comeback.

"I don't know where the rumors come from," the Web site quoted him as saying.

Maertens said rumors that Armstrong might come out of retirement had been circulating for a few weeks.

"I cannot tell you more," Maertens said in the e-mail. "You better ask him."

Michael Jordan tried it... didn't work. Armstrong would be a fool to do it.

But then again he already acted the fool and divorced that ever-patient wife of his. So maybe he's ready.

I've lost a lot of respect for the man.

I agree 100%. How big of an A$$ do you have to be to leave your wife after she stands by your side.

and I also must add:

I have zero respect for that douche-bag.