When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a correct Santos 100 DIAL

halley

Alright, read this first:

I am & was in no way affliated with DW in any kind of way...So if this project goes on, YOU will sort this out with him, pay him directly, I won't receive or make any money on this...and I don't want to be labled as an intermediate or worse a seller :bangin::animal_rooster:

So here is the story:

I asked DW about the Santos dial far from being perfect and the lone flaw standing in an overall impressive watch, he responded within 1 hour saying that making this dial 100% would be hard but that he can attain 95-98% (what are the 5% left I don't know), but if you've seen the dials he has on the 6263s you know they are overall quite good, I know some expert can confirm and I also know for sure that he has taken your advices on those dials.

I asked about a quotation, he says a Santos 100 dial should be around 40usd that is quite a good price, but shipping is not included I believe (so make it around 60usd incl shipping).

DIAL would be for ETA only (2824, 2836, 2892).

So now we have the source that can manufacture it for us, but the tricky part is now, because DW does not speak well english, it will be hard to explain him that the dial is plain flat with no guilloche etc...

What we need is:

1/ high res pics of the dial, to know the font used so that DW is not guessing and that can lead to a wrong font, I believe pughwash is able to identify a font from a high res pic?

2/The exact dimension of the dial, best would be to send him a dial so he can reproduce the shape of it, unfortunalty I don't have a santos anymore...

3/ A description of how the numerals & text should be positionned with explanatory pictures...

As far as I know the overall size and position of the numerals is wrong (the gen numerals appears bolder in my eyes and enlarged compared to the rep dial), 'CARTIER' and 'automatic' should be closer to the numerals too, and lastly, swiss made is wrong...

Any info, help is welcomed, I probably wont have much time to lead this project before the end of the month...but I will follow it closely ;)

LEt me know if you are interrested, and please contribute with any pictures of a gen dial you have ;)

post-17-1152635822_thumb.jpg

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't worry Halley I won't hold you responsible if this goes south. For 40 bucks...I am not going to cry about it.

I am just excited about getting a correct dial for this great watch. It's worth it in my eyes.

Totally worth it, even if I plan to go to the gen soon...

Hope DW can make it perfect, I added some good pictures!

A couple ideas, now that I think about it:

If you go the traditional reprint route, maybe the printing can be removed from the existing dials, saving a lot of work making blanks since the "erased" dials would become blanks for the reprinted dials. Maybe these can be printed "on demand" like Finepics' date wheels--santos 100 owners would send in their dials to be erased and reprinted.

I did not discuss technical with DW but this is probably an excellent solution, where to get access to such a printer, a more where to get access to a gen dial?

The problem would be sourcing an OEM dial. if that is not available, you'll need to find someone who's good at photoshop. Since the Santos dial is black on white, a decent photoshopper could take hi res shot of a rep dial and, using a shot of an OEM dial for reference, rezize and move the elements that need to be resized and/or moved.

I'd see if the white is the right shade before I moved forward.

well, we have a high res pic. Now the question would be if some one can do the photoshop portion.

We don't really have a high-enough res shot.

By the way, I don't own a Santos or even have any interest in one, I just love the technical challenge. :Jumpy:

joshua has a tt santos 100 w/ eta movement (w/ new updated case & clasp no less)...

http://perfect-clones.com/cars10006-santos...del-p-1279.html

you should confirm with him that it is 42mm (the larger version) though -- his website says 38 mm (but bres3000 said joshua told him it was mislabeled).

dt

too expensive, must find a better way, all I really need now are the dimension of that dial, and DW can make it. I will ask him if he can put his hands on a santos 100 TT eta that I'd buy for experimentations...

joshua has a tt santos 100 w/ eta movement (w/ new updated case & clasp no less)...

http://perfect-clones.com/cars10006-santos...del-p-1279.html

you should confirm with him that it is 42mm (the larger version) though -- his website says 38 mm (but bres3000 said joshua told him it was mislabeled).

dt

not a bad version but still a victim to all the usual problems.

Someone has got to know the dial specs?? Anyone? :huh: