When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a correct Santos 100 DIAL

halley

I'm in as well, I just don't know how we can get DW to actually come through with this. the dial, along with the not so great strap, poses the biggest challenge to any rep santos 100. But I'd be interested to see how it plays out. Good luck.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm in as well, I just don't know how we can get DW to actually come through with this. the dial, along with the not so great strap, poses the biggest challenge to any rep santos 100. But I'd be interested to see how it plays out. Good luck.

HK Tan makes a really good strap to replace the crappy rep one. If I still had my rep santos I would take it apart and get the measurements. :D

Same here, I'm less concerned with the strap that needs to be replaced like on any other rep...

Good news is DW like always is right there with a 12h turnaround for an answer, everything should be pretty reactive!

He says the pics I sent him are enough for him to work...let's see it

I asked him about the santos 100 rep to buy from him, or if he can locally find a santos 100 eta dial, it's good...

If you find a high-res shot of a rep dial and a gen dial, I'm your man.

I believe this will settle my Photoshop credentials. :D

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=8374

Jared,

I can find a rep dial but I'm sure Santos 100 dials are unavailable, I checked everywhere and it's impossible to obtain one directly... <_<

Is it possible with the high res pics of the santos 100 we have and a rep dial to make a photoshop rework?

Btw nice sub!

Is it possible with the high res pics of the santos 100 we have and a rep dial to make a photoshop rework?

I'll give it a go as soon as these armed attack helicopters and bombers have stopped flying over my bloody appartment. It may be tricky later when they try to demolish the hill next to my house with explosives, though.

All this to celebrate knocking down a prison tower? It's a bit much, eh?

ps. Happy Bastille Day to all the French rephounds ...

Same here, I'm less concerned with the strap that needs to be replaced like on any other rep...

Good news is DW like always is right there with a 12h turnaround for an answer, everything should be pretty reactive!

He says the pics I sent him are enough for him to work...let's see it

I asked him about the santos 100 rep to buy from him, or if he can locally find a santos 100 eta dial, it's good...

excellent. So close I can almost taste it now :yu:

excellent. So close I can almost taste it now :yu:

Naturally, a real dial made by DW would be best. If this turns out not to be feasable, Pugwash is our Photoshop guy and we need to find a print shop that has the Gerber Edge FX printer. I reccomend taking the rep santos dial to the print shop to match the white of the dial to the white of the vinyl medium.

Any news? :)

Hi there,

I think I can do the job, however it will take some time. First of all I need a very (!) high res scan of the rep dial. Also I need a reasonable high def picture/scan of the gen dial, so that all proportions are clearly visible. Then I will vectorize the black components of the rep dial. This means that all components are sort of mathematical functions instead of blurry pixels.

Then I can reshape and reposition the components, so that that new rep dial will be almost (99,x%) perfect. Of course I can show you the digital dial and when everybody agrees on its correctness it can be printed by a high-end printer.

Not very difficult, only time-consuming. However I will need somebody to place the new dial in my Santos, I can't do that myself... or can I?

Please PM me for any questions on this matter.

None

I have a gen. TT santos 100, not sure if I can churn in a high res. dial pic but I'll try. I'll get it done over the weekend and email you or somethin'.

Hi Quarks,

A high res scan of the dial of a gen TT santos would be perfect (instead of a picture)! No problem if the picture is more than 4 MB. Then I don't need to reshape and reposition the elements, so the rep dial will even be more accurate than I said before.

However, it will take some time (much manual work) to vectorize all the elements. If everybody agrees upon the final result somebody can get it printed on the right material. We should not cut down expenses on printing the dial at a professional shop.

Oh yeah, before I forget, Quarks can you send me the exact (very very exact I mean, more exact than a mm if possible) dimensions of the dial if you finished scanning the dial?

If everybody cooperates we can get the perfect dial! Maybe someone else can search for the right copyshop and print the dials and ship them to people who are interested?

Edited by none

Another remark: I think it's utterly stupid that these kind of flaws still exist. It's very easy to do it right. I think the manufactuers do it on purpose. Why would I constantly write down 1+1=3 on a math exam? Same thing, it's very easy to solve.

where ever the dials end up being sourced i just wanted to let say... IM AT LEAST IN FOR ONE or maybe even TWO.

thank you in advance for all the efforts to source this and im sorry i don't have a valuable skill to contribute/volunteer for the project.. :-(

all though i did just go to the AD this weekend and try on the gens... SANTOS DUMONT AND PASHA... picked up a GEN BOOK TOO... would any of the pics from the book work? also i notice that the SANTOS 100 dial and hand to dial ratio is a little different between the models and movments and CASES(SANTOS).

the catalog does have a straight on pic of the dial that is very high def. but may not be 1:1.

also the DUMONT dial 'SWISS MADE is directly under the VI as opposed (to what we ALL already know) to the SANTOS where VI divides 'SWISS MADE'

Edited by DISCOVERY110

@quarks,

i don't care what all those jerkoff paneristi say or insinuate about you, you're A OK in my book!

i don't know if you'd be willing to uncase it, but if you could, slap that sucker on a scanner and we're in business. anyways, things are at least moving in the right direction.

oh and i'm in, in case it was not clear.

Hi Quarks,

A high res scan of the dial of a gen TT santos would be perfect (instead of a picture)! No problem if the picture is more than 4 MB. Then I don't need to reshape and reposition the elements, so the rep dial will even be more accurate than I said before.

However, it will take some time (much manual work) to vectorize all the elements. If everybody agrees upon the final result somebody can get it printed on the right material. We should not cut down expenses on printing the dial at a professional shop.

Oh yeah, before I forget, Quarks can you send me the exact (very very exact I mean, more exact than a mm if possible) dimensions of the dial if you finished scanning the dial?

If everybody cooperates we can get the perfect dial! Maybe someone else can search for the right copyshop and print the dials and ship them to people who are interested?

none, I will try my very best to take some good shots of the dial. No promises tho. I am not photographer but my bro will probably help me out in this aspect. I will take quite a few and then you choose the best. I'll get down to it tonite. Just got back home, need a breather. Been a long day. I'll take the measurements out as well. Please PM me your email so I can send the pics directly to you. :victory:

@quarks,

i don't care what all those jerkoff paneristi say or insinuate about you, you're A OK in my book!

i don't know if you'd be willing to uncase it, but if you could, slap that sucker on a scanner and we're in business. anyways, things are at least moving in the right direction.

oh and i'm in, in case it was not clear.

Thanks ehtolcad. Much appreciated. :)

Unfortunately, I do not have a scanner but I'll do my best and get those pics to u guys.

Another remark: I think it's utterly stupid that these kind of flaws still exist. It's very easy to do it right. I think the manufactuers do it on purpose.

I honestly don't think they do it on purpose. If this project doesn't get a 100% perfect 1:1 dial right first time, then your theory falls over.

the catalog does have a straight on pic of the dial that is very high def. but may not be 1:1.

also the DUMONT dial 'SWISS MADE is directly under the VI as opposed (to what we ALL already know) to the SANTOS where VI divides 'SWISS MADE'

Thanks,

However, in orer to make a really good rep dial, we (preferably) need a very high def scan of the dial.

Hi people,

I am back again. I would like to make some short comments first :)

-> Pugwash, you say "I honestly don't think they do it on purpose. If this project doesn't get a 100% perfect 1:1 dial right first time, then your theory falls over."

I don't agree. First of all, it's an extremely obvious flaw to make a mistake like the swiss made. When designing a simple dial like that of the Santos 100 one has to be drunk to place it on the wrong spot. Especially with all the clear pics out there on the web. Secondly, if this project does not get a perfect 1:1 dial then the process must first be evaluated to find any problems. So the theory does not necessarily falls over. Maybe I am a bit extreme in my opinion, but don't you think it's strange that the swiss made is often printed on the wrong position?

However there are some improvements, look at Johua's site (SWISS MADE is now between the numerals):

http://perfect-clones.com/cars10005-santos...del-p-1086.html

-> tonton2000, the big picture from grayandsons.com will not suffice. First of all the picture is not taken orthogonally. This is very important to obtain the right results. Secondly the hands are covering parts of the dial: I need the whole dial, so I need some complementary pictures of the same size and resolution. So, people please don't send pics like these, it's a friendly gesture, but not usable.

By the way: it says "L SWISS MADE L", I dunno but I can't find the L on other pics of the gen one:

http://www.brugte-ure.dk/billeder/219-1.jpg

http://www.brugte-ure.dk/billeder/219-3.jpg

-> Quarks Thanks, I will send you a PM asap and look into it. I'll let you know if they are usable.

A general comment: scanned dials are superb: try to maximize the resolution (resolution does not equal the size of a picture!!! the big dial picture posted before is of bad quality), then scan the dial and save it. Then PM me. I do understand though, that people are not willing to open their gen Santos to scan in the dial. Anyway, if somebody would be willing to do that... well that would mean we have a perfect dial haha...

Edited by none

Hi Guys,

Back for the WE, one more week before hollidays I will have more time to work with you ;)

As I said if we could work this vectorised dial out DW could perhaps manufacture it.

Many thanks to all involved ;)

hally--the fact that DW wants vector graphics is very interesting. Do you happen to know what technology he uses to make his dials. I'd bet 100 bucks it's laser engraving--which BTW isn't engraving the way we think of it but rather ultra-shallow and inked engraving that is designed to look like printing, not literal engraving (The "laser engraving" on our metal watch parts we all hate is actually laser etching, a different process)

If he does make his dials using laser engraving, it will be possible to have them made even if he doesn't take on this project--I've been told that laser engraving is fast becoming a common service offered by full service printers. The problem, of course, would be finding a shop willing to print a branded item.

I just heard about yet another development in the cool world of printing media that might make it possible to produce dials literally "in house"--a medium that makes it possible to use any inkjet printer to simulate laser engraving. I'll post more when I investigate further...