When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

a correct Santos 100 DIAL

halley

hally--the fact that DW wants vector graphics is very interesting. Do you happen to know what technology he uses to make his dials. I'd bet 100 bucks it's laser engraving--which BTW isn't engraving the way we think of it but rather ultra-shallow and inked engraving that is designed to look like printing, not literal engraving (The "laser engraving" on our metal watch parts we all hate is actually laser etching, a different process)

If he does make his dials using laser engraving, it will be possible to have them made even if he doesn't take on this project--I've been told that laser engraving is fast becoming a common service offered by full service printers. The problem, of course, would be finding a shop willing to print a branded item.

I just heard about yet another development in the cool world of printing media that might make it possible to produce dials literally "in house"--a medium that makes it possible to use any inkjet printer to simulate laser engraving. I'll post more when I investigate further...

- > Archibald DW does not ask for vector data formats. However it's better to have this format for all kind of purposes.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone who wants to take up this project please feel free to PM me--I've got way too much on my plate to persue a new project, but in the course of another project I've had a crash course in a few types of digital printing technologies, graphics issues, etc. and there are at least two I can think of that may work for this one. I'd can probably save whoever ends up taking this on some trial and error legwork.

A quick general question: I assume it's not to hard to erase the printing off of a dial, but is there a way to just remove the black printing and not the white underneath?

OK here is my estimate for this project... I have done some DTP over the past years (but am rusty in that sense). IMHO we could take the following steps.

- Take the desktop image from somewere in this thread

- Adjust contrast in Photoshop

- Skew image to be 100% front facing

- Convert to BlackWhite and Trace the image in Illustrator to make it vectorbased like None said

- Go over al the details and remove 'nudges' to acquire straight lines (very timeconsuming)

- Proportionalize and downsize (SAVE!!!)

- Since you are making it tiny it will be very crisp for sure

- Print on the magnificent white sticker stuff mentioned in this thread on a minimal 1200dpi resolution

- Open your Santos rep and sticker away...

OR get it laseretches based on the vector graphic....

It will always be better then the dial in there I guess...

I wish I was not rusty and had spare time.... :whistling:

OK here is my estimate for this project... I have done some DTP over the past years (but am rusty in that sense). IMHO we could take the following steps.

- Take the desktop image from somewere in this thread

- Adjust contrast in Photoshop

- Skew image to be 100% front facing

- Convert to BlackWhite and Trace the image in Illustrator to make it vectorbased like None said

- Go over al the details and remove 'nudges' to acquire straight lines (very timeconsuming)

- Proportionalize and downsize (SAVE!!!)

- Since you are making it tiny it will be very crisp for sure

- Print on the magnificent white sticker stuff mentioned in this thread on a minimal 1200dpi resolution

- Open your Santos rep and sticker away...

OR get it laseretches based on the vector graphic....

It will always be better then the dial in there I guess...

I wish I was not rusty and had spare time.... :whistling:

The Illustrator tracing gives me an idea---would you be able to use any straight on shot of an oem dial--once traced and filled in Illustrator it could theoretically be printed @any resolution, right?

The exact size of the rep dial, cannon pinion hole, etc would also ave to be known to the 1/10 mm for the die cutting of the sticker. Knowing what font(s) cartier uses for the text--if not their own in house designed font) would save a lot of time---then you'd just be tracing the markers.

I assume they have an 'own font' developed. So don't count on finding it. You can always try... you might be lucky. In that case you just put the font in an overlay (layer in Illustrator) to go on top... You skew and rotate it to be exactly on top... Do that for everything and you hide the base layer. Now you have a vectorbased dial that indeed can be printed on any resolution. It really is not difficult but it is time consuming. My biggest fear is the printing on a sticker sounds cheap and not gen like... But he I don't know these Edge units... Printing has come from far!

The Cartier font is closest to:

Eutheric Expanded Bold

Of course they did some moding themeselves on the font but you will be able to get it very close.

Edited by kingkitesurf