When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

review of a SCATOLA DEL TEMPO 4+4 leather

halley

So I announced about 5 weeks ago that I won a scatola del tempo 4+4 - I still don't know the retail price of such a watch but I believe it is about 700-1.000€, most people never will put that much money on a watch in their entire life, so this watch aims a market on it's own, with a particuliar size of watch too, more about that later :blink:

So the one I received is well the 4+4 from the scatola del tempo website in black leather:

84902-29600.jpg

I received it with the outer box, nice touch...and one more proof that this is a genuine box it is really an heavy box, mainly made of wood and covered with fine soft leather and black-grey jacquard silk.

Mine is probably a decade old, as I believe the 4+4 line is a regular in the Scatola collection, so it came with light scratches on the leather; but a some massive hydratant cream massage and a little of black shoe wax the box was shinning again and the leather became quite supple, I still need to work on the gold plated buckle that is fading a little. Also the box is individualy numbered on the buckle ;)

84902-29601.jpg

The box is separated in two,

• one side for the bracelet watches

84902-29602.jpg

This side accept round watches/chrono with bracelet or strap up to 38/40mm - I'd say a 42mm watch with crown is certainly just enough for it, my sub and 1665 fit right in but nothing more...
    Once closed this compartement is sealed by the 4 rounded pillow that you can see, so no risk of damage during transport

Don't count on fitting a 44mm pannie or bentley GT...but like I said above the market for this type of boxes is often very high ends, like AP or VC that aim older buyers that prefers "mid-size" watches I believe (VC is often pictured on the scatola website) - but SDT now makes an oversized box.

84902-29603.jpg

The spacing between each compartement is perfect and as the watches are totaly inserted into the slot there is absolutly no risk of contact between two of your precious - even when you use the slots for bigger watches...notice how the 6263 is completly fitted inside it, not very practical to remove though.

84902-29604.jpg

The leather pillow is very well made and designed to maintain your watch perfectly and to fit the slot tight
    84902-29605.jpg
    84902-29606.jpg

A small compartement covered of silk, allows a few straps, cufflinks...when you travel ;)
    84902-29607.jpg

• One side for the strap watches
    84902-29608.jpg
    84902-29609.jpg
    Made of leather like the other side the watch also is fitted entirely inside the silk slot, and covered by a silk panel with integrated pillows that keep the watch in place, the same size of watch can be fitted, my 1665 with SD (work in progress) fits the slot -but again as soon as you get a less usual shape it wont fit beside of a tonneau shape.

Also, there is some thick leather spacers that prevent the strap and buckles for moving and touching the case, one is missing from the box I have, I'd like to get one from Scatola but I fear it will cost more than the price I paid for the whole box :whistling:
    84902-29610.jpg

The bracelet compartement is removable

84902-29611.jpg

It is made of plastic (!) and a bit wood on one side but it is covered with silk and with leather except both sides

84902-29612.jpg

84902-29613.jpg

The box is made of wood tough

84902-29614.jpg

Overall a tremendous watch, I paid this same week 27 euros for a faux leather 6 watch box and the compartements all unglued, the pouch were synthetic silk and the buckle can't even close correctly while on the scatola, the buckle is rock solid.

So it is a tremendous object and even is most of my watches are too big to allow the box to close it is a perfect display box at home, that values my timepieces, difficult then to question their authenticity...

Lastely, look around there are some on ebay floating around with sellers not knowing this is a prestigious item commanding big money - so don't run on the nearest scatola del tempo retailler

Since then, I lost another one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...W%3AIT&rd=1

on TZ & the purists there can be also good deal to be made, but prepare at least 300-400 usd...