When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tony Kornheiser and his Monday Night Football comment....

Nightstroker

Im sure many of you were watching the Monday night game yesterday....

If you were paying attention you would have noticed that Tony Kornheiser made a comment that has stirred up some bad brew....

Here is a link to a video feed where you can hear his statement and appology....

Tony's statement and appology

I would like to hear your comments on this subject....

IMHO....I do not think that it was improper....

It would have been different if he said this...."I will pick up your dry cleaning in the morning."....implying that it is typical for Hispanics to have low paying blue collar jobs....

So I do not understand why so many people think it was racist or wrong for him to say...."Will you pick up my dry cleaning in the morning?"

He was just making a 'Look everyone, I cant speak spanish' joke....I believe it was totally taken the wrong way....

Also....I am not saying that I like Tony or his ability as a football announcer....because in fact he is down right lousy at it....

I don't see how that comment is racist at all. Maybe people are getting just a little too touchy nowadays. lighten up. I took it as he was saying the guy was running fast enough to pick up his dry cleaning. How is that racist?

The funniest comment ever made IMO was Howard Cosell "look at that monkey run"..................

Of course he meant it in the utmost non racist way.......

Yes, people are too sensitive and overreact to almost everything. In my country two little boys (aged 6-8-something) ran away from home and somehow ended up on the motorway (yeah, don't ask how) where the speed limit is 120 km/h. Unfortunately the other one of the boys got hit by a car and died.

Then the mother was crying on the local newspaper that "Why didn't anyone pick up the boys and took them away from the dangerous road"?

But these days, who would pick up kids into their cars anymore? You're immediately a pedophile... or at least a "suspected pedophile" in people's eyes... although in reality only like what... 1 out of 100.000 people are pedophiles? It's completely sick... the media is forcing all kinds of sick garbage into people's throats and making them hysterical. It's the same here in Europe... not only a US thing. Where is this world going?

The funniest comment ever made IMO was Howard Cosell "look at that monkey run"..................

OMG....I didnt know that he said that....that is really wrong and funny all at the same time....

He must have said that either towards the end of his career when he was losin it....or during the early 60s....

Thanks for the comments on this so far guys....I see that im not the only one who thinks that the whole Tony K thing was blown way out of proportion....

We live in a hyper-sensitive world and a major network would be irresponsible to risk receiving bad press over something like this.

I think either way, malicious or not (IMO not) he had to cover his a@#.

I'm latino and I find no problem with that comment. Many people nowadays are a bunch of weak hearted individuals that need to be held and hugged way too often for my taste. Heck, among ourselves - latinos and other minorities that I have hung out with - we make some of the most "racist" comments about ourselves and others than most of you have ever heard. It is not correct that it is OK for us, but not for some "white guy". That's pure horse sh*t and it is exactly the reason way some people are so race sensitive. Come on people, we have more in common than we acknowledge. Some people need to relax.

Tony Kornheiser - whoever the hell he is (a random sportswriter and co-host of an ESPN show nobody watches?) - doesn't belong on the air calling live football games........ but not because of that (non-racist) comment.

In my opinion. :D

Agreed 100%

How the hell that guy got to commentate on MNF is beyond me....his commentary sucks and I believe that over 90% of the football fans out there feel the same way....

If you pop into any online forums that discuss the issue not one person speaks up for Tony....everyone bashes him....regardless of whether or not they feel the comment was right or wrong....

I have no doubt the comment was not intended in a mean way but it was a stupid thing to say. It perpetuates a social stereotype and I have not the slightest doubt that a lot of people DO find it offensive. With all due respect to Nouns Defions, he is one latino, not all latinos. Furthermore, just because someone DOES find that offensive does not make them a whiner or a weakling. Tony Kornheiser did the right thing and apologized.

I personally don't find the comment offensive but it would never occur to me to hold those who might in such open contempt as I have seen in this thread.

It doesn't take that much effort to take someone else's feelings into account. If I say something that offends my fellow and he tells me so, it is as easy to say, "I am sorry, I won't say that again" as it is to say, "Stop whining you hypersensitive pussy."

:rolleyes:

a couple of months back, i read an article that surveyed a bunch of hispanics, blacks and asians

the hispanics hated the blacks and complained they didn't get any respect from the asians ... so did the blacks

the asians complained the blacks/hispanics were dishonest ... yadda yadda

but EVERYONE absolutely loved the white majority !

NOTE:

this does not mean you can go charging down your street wearing a pointy white cap screaming White Flow-AH !!! :D

I personally don't find the comment offensive but it would never occur to me to hold those who might in such open contempt as I have seen in this thread.

It doesn't take that much effort to take someone else's feelings into account. If I say something that offends my fellow and he tells me so, it is as easy to say, "I am sorry, I won't say that again" as it is to say, "Stop whining you hypersensitive pussy."

:rolleyes:

Directed at me? Don't worry, I don't need a hug over that. LOL. Point taken. But, I certainly don't agree. Great input; thank you.