When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Google's Android is coming out!

Chronus

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/23/t-mobil...first-hands-on/

Hopefully a good first step that will get improved over time.

It's open source isn't it ? Holding great hopes on this one.

The Xperia is out soon too, using a Sony Ericsson adapted version of Windows Mobile. Saw some clips of it in action, looks good, and has a mode to use the touch screen one-handed which is pretty good, although the demo only showed it for right-handed people. (You can probably find a clip on youtube, sorry no link as I was watching it on the N82).

I don't think that anyone was expecting the first phone to have knock-your-socks-off features...The objective is to lay out a stable, powerful platform, which will attract both consumers and developers. It remains to be seen how Android will play out, but as it's backed by Google and HTC (which also manufactures the eXperia X1), I think that the odds for success are pretty good.

I don't think that anyone was expecting the first phone to have knock-your-socks-off features...

Really? Do you not read the same press as the rest of us? This was supposed to be the best of the best; the iPhone leveller, the proof that open-source is the best answer, the true second-coming.

The more I think of it, the more cheated I feel. It looks like a Linux version of Windows Mobile. It looks like they let developers do interface design, unfortunately.

All hype and no trousers.

6/10, could do better.

ps. If this cannibalises sales, it'll do so from Windows Mobile, which can't be a bad thing. Let's see.

Really? Do you not read the same press as the rest of us?

I probably don't...I read telecommunications industry trade rags, which tend to be a little more "realistic". So maybe I wasn't as caught up in the hype as you. ;)