When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

where to buy watch tools?

unkindone

hey guys, where do most of you buys tools (watch screw drivers, pin removers, case removers etc...) from?

can you just walk into a jewelery store and buy from them? doubt that... :huh:

Yup. If you've got the right kind of jewellery supply store. In Toronto there is a jewell and watch supply store downtown, as well as H.W. Perrin which is the equivalent of Ofrei or Borel in Canada. For the most part...the Bay or check the RWG Tools Links.

Yup. If you've got the right kind of jewellery supply store. In Toronto there is a jewell and watch supply store downtown, as well as H.W. Perrin which is the equivalent of Ofrei or Borel in Canada. For the most part...the Bay or check the RWG Tools Links.

thanks ..never actually thought of ebay :mellow:

im on the west coast of canada btw...ur in toronto? B)

^_^

thanks ..never actually thought of ebay :mellow:

im on the west coast of canada btw...ur in toronto? B)

^_^

Yup. You get your reps 2-4 days faster than I do. :(

H.W. Perrin sells the full Bergeon catalogue...just get a part number and call them and they'll ship it out. They do mostly mail order and their parts are fair. Lots of gen Rolex and Omega if you need it.

I've also gone here: International Watchman

Cheap and decent for non-frequent use. If you have a Rolex...get the gen Bergeon die...much better than the Chinese ones.

Here's Perrin's Contact Info: H.W. Perrin

eBay or in the GTA (outside toronto) SOMAL WATCH (google somal watch canada) very nice owner, gave me a great deal as well. had decent sub inserts also. he gave me my tools for the price of the sale that had ended a week ago. prices are comparable to ebay but there is no shipping $ to pay. he sells ETA, ETA clone, asian valjoux, swiss 7750, and bergeon, horotec tools, and no name. also has his own catalogue. i picked up a bag full of treats for under $100

If you are just planning to do bracelet pin adjustement, and open a case or two, to inspect that the movement you recived is as announced you can basically buy from anywhere online.

But if you are planning to do more serious stuff i would sugest you invest into Time zone toolkit 1&2.

You will have most usefull tools, and actually doing the course plan is a must if you whant to teech yourself somme basis ..

I did and really don't regret it.

Of course if you get caught by the watchmaking bug (or should i say watch destroying ) , you can latter invest in the more expensive tools, like an ultrasonic cleaner...

just my 2c ...

i dont think an AD will stock you. i've tried before.

bergeon, horotec seem to be the best in terms of durability and delivered quality. asian stuff sometimes isnt cut to spec or the screwdrivers break /warp/dont come sharp/ or wear out to easily. i use asian screwdrivers tho cause of the cheap price and in terms of value i think are worth it.

tools in my kit so far:

START WITH THESE:

jaxa wrench

LG openall

link pin remover (or use paperclip)

spring bar remover

dust blower

9pcs screwdriver set

silicone grease

MORE ADVANCED KIT for fixing most things (in order of most used personally):

loupe 3x 5x 10x

finger cotts

dust cover

#5 tweezer

plastic tweezers

victorinox swiss knife

soft work pad, (just a recycled old mouse pad that was really soft)

case vise

movement holder

presto hand remover

hand press

crystal press

file set

400, 800, 1200 grit sandpaper

divided storage tray

mini protractor triangle

watch makers hammer

ultrasonic cleaner

demagnitizer

crown stem cutter

needle nose pliers

pin vise

mini anvil

digital calipers

CHEMICALS for the advanced kit:

Rodico OR rub off (which leaves less grease in my opinion.)

metal polish (green or white)

acetone

mobious oils

lighter fluid OR parts cleaner

hypo cement

UV glue

this complete kit is VERY WELL rounded and can acomplish most tasks. most likely this is all you'll need

Edited by highoeyazmuhudee

• 1 month later...

guys, can you recommend not expensive tool set that has movement holder for ETA, hands remover, anything else i need to put together my first rolli frankenstein? lol ;) eBay has a few sets for cheap but im afraid it could be a waste of $. are there any decent tool sets for under 100$ ? i like working with my hands so i have a feeling i may enjoy this project. i already have a set of small decent screw drivers (moody tools)

guys, can you recommend not expensive tool set that has movement holder for ETA, hands remover, anything else i need to put together my first rolli frankenstein? lol ;) eBay has a few sets for cheap but im afraid it could be a waste of $. are there any decent tool sets for under 100$ ? i like working with my hands so i have a feeling i may enjoy this project. i already have a set of small decent screw drivers (moody tools)

@mil-sub,

That kit you picture, is probably not bad value for money, although it lacks some essentials.

The driver kit looks like one of the French ones, and with new blades, they are most useable.

The rest of the gear, basically will be used at varying times, so for the price, it is not unreasonable.

When I started, some years back, I bought one of the cheap ebay kits.

post-13-1226562933_thumb.jpg

We all know they are basically cheaper quality, however I have to tell you, that I still use quite some of the components today.

The springbar tool I got with mine, had crap end pieces, so I replaced them for a few $$, and I still use it.

The pin pusher (blue) also has needed replacement pins, but is still used regularly.

The hammer is quite acceptable, the case back knife has now seen better days, but still does the job, (sharpened many times), the band/bracelet locator block still does the job, and the pin pushers have been OK.(although the tips are soft)

The caseback tool is a piece of s**t, as are the drivers, the tweezers gave up a long while back, and the pliers are still around, although I have a better set, which I use more frequently.

But Hey....these kits cost typically $10- $20, including postage.

You will go a long way to find better value, and even if some or most of the tools finally get binned, they are a good starting point in this hobby. And whilst you may make a few messes, by using crap tools, at least you have some to start with!

Better than nothing.

And it does become a point to start and learn, not only about the watches you wish to work on, but also about your own needs in the quality of tools, you require.

Can feel the Zigmeister, frowning over my shoulder as I type ;) so will close with those immortal words.

" A poor craftsman blames his tools"

Offshore