When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let this be a lesson to all sellers

tenacious_b

Everyone,

I just learned my first painful first-hand lesson since starting this hobby 3+ years ago. I sold my 289X Panerai 029 to Czarczar for $450.00 a few days ago, and it arrived today. Czarczar emailed me and guess what? He cracked the case back, and it was not a 289X, but rather a modified 2836. I took Eddie Lee at his word, and thought I had something special. I never bothered opening the caseback, as I thought I had no reason to. Well tonight I had to refund a members money because of the dishonesty of a "collector" and because I was too stupid to verify the movement before selling. With the rampant problem of clone movements, I would be very careful selling or trading anything where you have not checked the movement, or it could come back to bite you. This is a huge endorsements for "collectors" that are known to do thourough QA, and even then, verify it yourself, or you might end up looking like a chump. Czarczar was very good natured about the ordeal, and I appreciate the level headed manner in which he approached the problem, and his refund has already been seen to. I have learned most of the lessons this hobby has to teach by reading, researching, and asking questions of my fellow members. This is a painful and embarrassing lesson that I hope many will learn without going through it yourselves. What a total bummer.

Regards,

B

I just learned my first painful first-hand lesson since starting this hobby 3+ years ago. I sold my 289X Panerai 029 to Czarczar for $450.00 a few days ago, and it arrived today. Czarczar emailed me and guess what? He cracked the case back, and it was not a 289X, but rather a modified 2836. I took Eddie Lee at his word, and thought I had something special.

Yup, that's Eddie for you. People seem to forget his less honest aspects now he's gone.

B was absolutely great to deal with...within half hour of my email, I had the refund.

I didn't crack the caseback. I just adjusted the GMT hand and realized it did not click like the 2893 should. It's a modified 2836.

Again, B is a great guy...I would not hesitate to deal with him again at all. One of the best on the boards i have tosay

@czarczar

I commend you for not thinking the worst and giving the seller the benefit of the doubt :thumbsupsmileyanim: ...

@tenacious

You handled the situation perfectly and with the utmost class :good: ...

Truly glad this was posted...

It's a benchmark on how to handle things behind the scenes...

And how to communicate them publicly...

:1a:

TT

That sucks! Although EL is not the only one who does it...and it's not always intentional. Dealers often take the word of the their supplier when dealing with so many watches...a similar thing happened to me when I bought a UPO from PT, I had to send the watch back 3 times because it had the wrong movement...very frustrating.

I always check the movement now on reps...a caseback opener & silicone grease is something we should all have...well worth the investment. Just pop the caseback and take a look...it's worth the peace of mind!

Yup, that's Eddie for you. People seem to forget his less honest aspects now he's gone.

I don't think that Eddie was/is alone in being less than honest as a seller.... I seem to recall *someone* starting a thread about Little White Lies that is now (properly) near legend/required reading on the forums. B)

Since my second rep, I've been in the habit of cracking casebacks and checking the innards... been disappointed more than once. Most dealers have made right, those that didn't are no longer ones that I deal with.

Having bought dozens of watches from EL, including three 2893 models (verified). I suspect that the supplier pulled one over on EL. I can't imagine him switching them on purpose.

Either way, it sucks to find that someone shorted you.

BTW- 450 would have been a great price for that watch. Anybody selling another one for that price can feel free to contact me. :D

Yup, still waiting on parts he promised to ship me for watches with problems bought from him.

That said, as we all know, most all dealers have similiar issues.

The nature of the black market trade me thinks.

Let me be the 3rd to echo needing a movement school. As a newbie, I have no problem taking the back off my watches. Problem is, I'm not exactly sure what I am looking at....

I have seen all the photo tutorials that are already on the forum, but its like being an armchair quarterback--- real easy to say ' yeah, uh-huh... i see that...' especially when there is a picture of a real 7750 sitting by your clone photo. Its a totally different game when its a movement in front of you and it 'kind of 'looks like the picture of the real, and 'kind of' looks like the picture of the clone.

I have been reading as much as I can get my hands on about the different movements. I seriously doubt I could identify that the teeth on the hour wheel is 'off' as compaired to the real ETA. I am not educated enough -- yet. I doubt if I will sell/trade anything until I can. (At least without posting photos asking the hawked-eyed officianados of the board for an ID).

I am truly impressed with the integrity of the people involved. You guys make me feel privliged to participate and allowing me to educate myself.

I will continue to read with intrest.

-K

B was absolutely great to deal with...within half hour of my email, I had the refund.

I didn't crack the caseback. I just adjusted the GMT hand and realized it did not click like the 2893 should. It's a modified 2836.

Again, B is a great guy...I would not hesitate to deal with him again at all. One of the best on the boards i have tosay

Congrats to two gentlemen.

This is THE lesson.

Handling issues backstage with common sense and fairplay is the way to go.

I am truly impressed with the integrity of the people involved. You guys make me feel privliged to participate and allowing me to educate myself.

I second that K.

@czarczar

I commend you for not thinking the worst and giving the seller the benefit of the doubt :thumbsupsmileyanim: ...

@tenacious

You handled the situation perfectly and with the utmost class :good: ...

Truly glad this was posted...

It's a benchmark on how to handle things behind the scenes...

And how to communicate them publicly...

:1a:

TT

Couldn't agree more. Nice job guys :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I don't think Eddie would have ever tried to pull one over. Not how he operated. I suspect, as has been mentioned, that his supplier screwed up. Both versions were available readily at the time and indistinguishable unless you opened up the back

I don't think Eddie would have ever tried to pull one over. Not how he operated.

Can we reopen his review section for people to read? People have short memories.

He was the original master of over-charging, for instance.

He was humorous, had some of the best descriptions of any dealer and had pretty decent customer service, but he was liberal with the truth.