When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

To run or not to run...

unkindone

that is the question?... I have for you guys ^_^

will it matter if you have the second hand running (Chrono) or not running to keep better time/longevity the life of the watch? (Valjoux 7750)

edit- I guess this should be posted in the "newbie section" or "watch repair" section...not sure though

you can tell im new ^_^

Edited by unkindone

I wouldnt run the chrono's just for the fact that it would kill your power reserve time. On the Asian7750 movement i wouldnt even use the chronos at all. I dont trust those movements at all.. On a real ETA/valjoux7750 using the chrono is fine, but again i wouldnt run them all the time for no reason.

the PR shjould not be affected by the chrono running... but why would you want to continuously run the Chrono hand if you are not timing an event ??.. this has alway's confused me as to why someone would run their stop watch portion of the timepiece for absolutely no reason..

The A-7750 should work fine if not abused.. and if it is serviced properly should give you no problems... as long as certain steps are followed such as setting the Day-date or date...

edit add:.. if you search Ziggy's info.. excessive hand winding is definately not recommended.. if their is no PR and the watch needs to be started I jus wind it enough to get it going and let the auto wind do the rest..

hmm....i'm a little surprised about the responses here -- i'm almost 100% certain The Zigmeister has said that running the chronos makes no difference in terms of wear on the movement :g:

i'm i going crazy? :crazy:

or does anyone else remember this to be the case....

deltatahoe

No, you are not crazy :) Here is the link, post #4 down.

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=77690

I let my chrono timer hands run most of the time..... because I enjoy it. Parking that big hand bugs me.

The one exception is the chrono timer on my Chopard GMT, and I keep that one parked because the timer hand has a slightly irregular beat, which bugs me even more than having the hand parked. This is a known and well discussed issue with this particular watch, and it doesn't seem to effect its reliability.

Unless you were timing something why would you be running it?

A colleague owns a gen Breitling on which he leaves the chronos running continuously. He says he does it because he can't read the subdials easily (he's rather myopic), and he likes to see that the watch is running.... go figure.

That is why everyone's Daytonas blow up. ^_^

Not according to The Zigmeister, it ain't.... :brow:

"RUN FOREST RUN"...

forrestrunningtojonathan.jpg

:p

alright, thanks to everyone who responded!! I read The Zigmeisters tut before, and even though he states it doesn't do anything to the gears...it makes you wonder.

I have seen everyones pics of there chronos and the hand is stopped at 12...

I guess I can see why you dont need it with the small second hand running, but wouldnt it look weird out in public? people would see your watch not running and think you dont know what your doing...idunno... :rolleyes:

then again...panerai doesnt have a big second hand...maybe I should get one of those my next purchase ^_^

I'm no watch smith but if you don't need it, don't run it - why wear the chrono gears out needlessly

upon further reading, I retract this statement ;) it's true you wear gears out but it's so ridiculously insignificant - the rest of the watch is constantly working anyhow and will eventually need service.

run it all you want, it makes little difference - in fact... silly me, I should have figured that based on my 20 year old Navitimer which had it's chrono running most of it's life and has never been serviced yet. (I'm not doing my movement any favors I know - it's time to bring it in but still working like a champ - oil must be dried out)

Noobs that don't know anything about watches will appreciate the smooth sweep and seeing the chrono hand locked at 12, will think the watch is broken or fake.