When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

left or right?

tictoc65

I'm ambidextrous, and wear my watch on my right wrist for the simple reason that that's the wrist I've always worn a watch on. When I was given my first watch, my Nan told me to hold out my arm, and that was the arm I held out... Only time I've worn my watch on my left wrist was when my skin flared up really badly as I'd been wearing my watch way too tight, and the trapped sweat had had a pretty grim result on my skin. It felt really weird wearing a watch 'on the wrong arm', but I had to do it to let my wrist heal. Needless to say, I've never worn a watch that tight since, and can always insert a finger between the strap/bracelet and my wrist. I could force my watch to go round my wrist if I wanted to, but it wouldn't rotate without doing so manually, and, to be honest, doesn't really slop about my wrist as much as one might think ^_^

It is generally accepted as correct to wear a watch on the left wrist as it is more of a design consideration. Most watches, except specific aviator and dive watches have crowns on the right side of the case. The idea is to be able to realistically make adjustments to the crown without taking the watch off. Some specialty watches have crowns on the left side of the case. This is usually because there is another instrument which is usually worn on the left and the idea is not to compete with that.

In the end, nobody cares and we all do what we like, but there is a standardization and it favors the left with most watches. I wear it on the left mostly because I always have...

I'm left handed so I wear my watch on my right wrist. Most left handers have to be somewhat ambidextrous. I throw with my left hand and write with my left hand but I golf right handed. I know that they make a lot of things for left handers, including watches, but most left handers don't have a problem with right handed stuff like watches, scissors, guitars, etc.

Now that I'm over 50, it probably doesn't matter which wrist I wear it on unless I'm playing tennis. I don't wear a watch when I play tennis.