When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did not believe his eyes

MAHLER

Sorry for my english and I apologize if this post is OT, I had no idea where to put it, Admin and moderators can move it. Well, yesterday I was in the company of a nice person but later discovered to be an official Rolex dealer. I will be past many times since its jewelry but, in all honesty, I did not know was on his property. So while we finished to talk about watches, and on the new design of the latest models by Rolex in Basel 2008, we came to talk at the world of replicas. He said that the only reps that can truly worry are those made by assembling pieces of broken watches, others do not say nothing and are too poor quality to fool someone. I told him that I had two watches to show him and immediately explained that they were reps. He asked me why? I replied that I was in love with this particular collector, not the genuine interests me but only reps. We live in a world that is becoming increasingly sterile. Dominated by patents and trademarks for which there is no longer even a real competition. The world of replicas is also a mental challenge to the monopoly of fantasy on ideas. Not everything is so, there is a lot lawlessness but also passion. Many people in this hobby see things that go beyond the simple purchase of a watch, each has his own idea. Mine is that there are so many things, even behind the lawlessness and trade, personal stories of each member here who has gone beyond the watches. Once in jewelry, I showed to him the first, while he examined Graham Chronofighter very carefully still be repeated this is true, you want to play with me, remained motionless for a while when he discovered that the chrono are working. When I asked him to turn off the light and see the dial in the dark, continued to repeat that not be a fake. When I showed the last Rolex, it seemed to me that his certainties had collapsed. Did not believe his eyes, said there are some differences but this fake is really good, really good. So we continued to talk about the watch and an strange world of reps. So time after time I was convinced that perhaps the modding is just something extra when a piece is really good. Thanks RWG and regards.

Mahler

What's that rule again?

Oh yes, don't take your reps to an AD.

Well, yesterday I was in the company of a nice person but later discovered to be an official Rolex dealer.

I dunno Pugs...

But I read this totally different...

More like a social event...

I dunno Pugs...

But I read this totally different...

More like a social event...

That's how I read it. Hard to say given the choppy english, but I don't think this happened on purpose... more of an accident... if so, interesting story and reaction...

I read it that he later went to the guy's shop with the reps.

I read that too, but, I read it that they went there together, during the same meeting, rather than going into the AD at a later date. Either way, regardless of the rule, the guy he showed them to, not only did he not initially know that the guy was an AD, but when he actually went to the premises itself, it was with the guy he had been speaking to, and in context to the conversation they were having. It's not like Mahler just randomly walked into an AD and started flashing a rep while trying on other new watches ;) I agree with the point that it's not a good idea to start flashing reps in ADs, and I appreciate the rule about not discussing such things here, but in all honesty, this doesn't read like the kind of situation the rule is designed to relate to: It was a private conversation, where it later transpired someone was someone else. Heck, once, when I was managing a video store, an older gentleman came in to rent some movies, and, following a conversation about media production (which I was studying at the time), he casually asked "Don't you know who I am?" He wasn't being snotty, he was just asking a genuine question, and I didn't. It turned out that he was Paul Darrow. Probably the nicest, most polite person I have ever met in my entire life. Having never seen Blake's 7, until he said who he was, I didn't have a clue who he was. I'd think this was a similar case in Mahler's situation, where he simply didn't know who the guy was, until later in their conversation :)

Mahler you have a really unique writing style... I can't get enough of reading your thoughts. What's your original language? I love how you write; "The world of replicas is also a mental challenge to the monopoly of fantasy on ideas." Very poetic.

i guess he thinks italian while writing in english (live in italy=italian?)

Yes, it's only a private conversation with a person that I've known for my work, now is my client. We have conversations on watches, cartels, competition of new brands, new Chinese tourbillon that are sold as Swiss in EU. Nothing more and nothing less than a pleasant conversation with a person who has cultivated an enviable collection of old watches of war's years. I just wanted to share this with you and not harm anyone :(. Sorry for my crap english, I'm italian and I think in Italian when write, so it's difficult to use the logic of a language other than my. However it's true, in real life write books of poetry. I apologize again to those who have difficulty with my language. Members who know me a long time already know the problem called Mahler! :)

Edited by MAHLER

I read it that he later went to the guy's shop with the reps.

Yes, I went to his shop simply because there has the tools to open the watches. I also see open the new caliber of Daytona explaining the changes, that I had only seen in newspapers, compared with a previous model with El Primero.

Thanks for posting that Mahler. I found it very interesting. Which Rolex did he examine?

the so called WM9

I still think it sounds a bit dangerous to our hobby to flash reps to gen-dealers and people in the business. You never know who a guy will talk to next, and the more people in the watch-business that get this on their agenda - the more danger of more and more governmental action against it. I can assure you that the new "super reps" have gotten lots of attention from major watch brands. I'm genuinely worried

• 2 weeks later...