When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Euromariner

bertieng

Size wise, the gen insert fits beautifully as far as the outside of the bezel is concerned. However, I'm finding that the inside top ring may sit a little too high, pushing the inside of the insert up along the crystal edge. I was not able to get the bezel assembly apart on my Euro V3, so I just put it aside for the present time. There's a bottom compression ring, the click spring, a top inside ring- keeps the click spring down- and the bezel itself. It's basically a copy of the gen assembly. I still have to trim the cg's and drill the lugholes and plan on dealing with the insert at that time. I did install a Clark's crystal and that went fine- but the etched crown on the original crystal wasn't noticeable to me, but I wear reading glasses. I did finally see it w/ some 3.5x mag glasses on- that is what I use to work on watches.

I believe BK did trim/file the inside top ring down on a Euro/MBW that he worked on. The original insert on my Euro was glued in there pretty well- contact or rubber cement, maybe. A WM pearl in the Euro insert might be a good inexpensive improvement if you don't want to spring for a gen insert. I plan on gluing my gen insert in anyway- just as a precaution because I'm kinda rough on my watches- I've beat up my share of bezel inserts and lost a number of pearls!

I also found pairing the Clark crystal with the Euromariner is not ideal. Since the bezel ring is thinner and sits lower, after you manage to get the insert in nice and recessed by filing down the top of the retaining ring, the Clark crystal will appear too high above the insert. The one on the left in the pic is a MBK/Euromariner fitted with a Clark crystal and the retaining ring filed.

2008-10-26012.jpg

The fix is to use a WholesaleOutlet999 crystal which I just received yesterday. The WholesaleOutlet999 and the Clark crystal look about the same in terms of cyclop mag and beveling. But a Clark crystal measures ~2.02mm while a WholesaleOutlet999 measures ~1.85mm. I think a WholesaleOutlet999 crystal is perfect for the MBK/Euromariner. The crystal will have just the right height above the insert.

-bk

Edited by bklm1234

I think the wholesaleoutlet crystal is a more economic and more sure solution. Other bezel might not fit. The wholesaleoutlet crystal looks the same as the Clark's except it's thinner, which I think is perfect for solving the MBK/Euromariner's issue.

Edit: I found out on closer inspection, Clark crystal has better details. The top edge actually has gen style rounding/beveling. Clark's better but wholesaleoutlet is a better match for the MBK/Euromariner because it's thinner.

-bk

Edited by bklm1234

What about a gen insert or another aftermarket insert. Does it fit ok?

problem isn't with the insert. It's the bezel/retaining ring combo. Once you got the retaining ring top shaved a bit, any insert can go insert with a recessed look. But if you don't do anything, any insert will be floating.

-bk

I think the wholesaleoutlet crystal is a more economic and more sure solution. Other bezel might not fit. The wholesaleoutlet crystal looks the same as the Clark's except it's thinner, which I think is perfect for solving the MBK/Euromariner's issue.

Edit: I found out on closer inspection, Clark crystal has better details. The top edge actually has gen style rounding/beveling. Clark's better but wholesaleoutlet is a better match for the MBK/Euromariner because it's thinner.

-bk

BK you mean the wholesaleoutlet 990 perhaps and not 999 ? :mellow: I am modding my Euromariner....

It is not cheaper than Clark's .. Does it have the same quality? Clarity , glare etc ? ?

Thank you for your help!