When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold GMTIIc....A Fading Trend?

cc

I may be lurking in the wrong subforum but I wanted the opinion of the Rollie guys. I do have a Gen 80's Gold Presidential and the gold sheen is a dull yellow gold. I am not a fan of Rolexes, especially gold, but this has caught my eye. How is the color and quality of the plating? I dont want my wrist to turn green. What do you guys think?

I need something Blingy. Yup!! Gold IS coming back.....

gold.jpg

gold2.jpg

gold3.jpg

Gold is OK for occaisional wear- once a month, maybe. If you wear it too much, it will inevitably show signs of wear. But some guys around here have done OK with FG reps.

You can get your 80's Rolex cleaned/polished BTW. It's prone to tarnishing, especially when not worn and stored away.

I have owned a few solid gold gens in the past and the 18k and 14k yellow gold of these watches has not be duplicated by any gold plated watch I have seen. There is a real difference in the look betweem solid and plated. If that does not bother you then I believe that you will be happy with your gold plated rep. I have a couple of yellow gold plated Breitling reps and to to me they look good enough ... not perfect but good enough. Cheers

The gold wearing of is a clishee by now. Ive worn my gold plated big bang everywhere, and it shows no sign of wear, what so ever.

Go for it, if bling is your thing.

im actually thinking of getting this for my wife. she is heavily in the fashion industry and gold watches are coming back...mostly on trendy posh women. they are all over the place in posh boutiques all over LA. she has been bugging me for a gold mens Cartier Tank but i think she'll like this better.

The gen dial font is yellow on the FG model, white on the TT model.

My FG watches from Josh and Andrew have worn like champs. Mind you, I don't wear them often. One from Silix started flaking at 2 months. The replacement they sent has been great, though.

I'm going to wait until someone buys and reviews this FG model before deciding. I like the pictures a lot and love my GMT-II C.

I dont want my wrist to turn green. What do you guys think?

The reason some plate watches and rings turn your skin green is that the base metal is Brass.

The copper in the brass reacts with the salt in your skin and produces a verdigris residue.

A stainless plated watch should never turn your skin green, although the plating can wear off, especially

if worn daily.