When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The crown and Stem

blue_sphere

I did a search with little luck. Actually I am not even sure what to "search" for.

What I am doing is replacing my crown with gen crown. Problem is my rep crown has the stem stuck in it. My questions are:

Whats the best way to remove the stem?

How do I glue the new stem into the gen crown? Are there any tricks?

Thanks all,

Shawn

I ususally just use a new stem, but I have a bunch on hand.

You will most likely have to heat up the crown to loosen the epoxy or thread-lok. Hold the stem in a pin vise, heat it up, then remove the crown. We gloves or something to protect your fingers as the crown will be hot.

Or, just use a new stem in the crown. You will need to trim it down. Just be careful not to cut it too short. A small drop of thread-lok will keep it from coming loose.

The stem should typically screw into the crown, so you should be able to unscrew it. Hold the stem w/ a pair of pliers on the threads close to the crown and turn the crown counterclockwise. You might have to heat it up a little if glue was used (which they shouldn't have). The new crown should screw right on also. If this isn't the case, you've got a different knid of movement than the typical eta/cn movts I've worked with.

quote name =

can someone point me in the right direction on where to get stems for eta movements?

/quote

Any parts supply house will have them. The common eta 2824 stem is tap 10, threaded.

Later genuine eta 2824 etc stems will have a hub that rides against the movement plate (in winding position) to take pressure off the pilot and load bearing area just behind the pilot when spring loaded screw down crowns are used.

(pilot = the point on the end)

It is probably a good idea to use this type of stem if possible with screw down crowns. Some oem and generic replacements do not have the hub.

Interesting.

I have a SSD where the crown does not screw all the way doen, unless I pull out the crown and try several times and different positions. This is normal for the "short stem" issue?

Do 2824 and 2826 have the same stem?