When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Ulysse Nardin

RobbieG

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. The silver dial is much lighter. It looks almost white in most lighting conditions. Mine is a little harder to find. It is the rhodium dial which is also known as grey. There are many more of the silver and black dials around than these. I was looking to replace my gen YM and so this dial choice was a no-brainer for me to recreate a cooler watch with more Yachtmaster-esq colors. I also think the rhodium is the richest looking. The silver, when looking very white, can look too much like a golf ball sometimes for my taste. My second choice would be the black, but I already had a lot of black dialed divers so...

Thanks for the photos RobbieG.

This one is tugging at my heart strings.

Is this the Silverized dial version?

I'm pulling for ya', but I think $3K is a pretty tall order for a nice used watch now that the new pricing has spiked again. Maybe you could find one, but the other problem is that once guys have these they hardly sell them and when you get yours you'll know why. I bet most everyone gives it a near permanent slot. They are so nice to the touch it is just beyond comprehension. I think the price is more than fair for the new watch now despite the increase even. They are really on par with VC, AP, GO for fit and finish alone and if you look at the prices that way they make better sense. I'm glad I got mine discounted but I could see why they have no prblem getting the $7500 retail that they are now. I think you should be able to source a new one in the low $5's or so if you can't find the right used one. Best of luck in any case. I know you will love it when you finally do get it.

nice watch robbie! i'm trying to source a used one with a black dial for $3,000. do you think it's possible?

Thanks Toad. Some watches are just easy to shoot and this is one of those for whatever reason. There aren't many pics I shoot that I can ever say I'm truly happy with, but there are several of these that I actually like quite a lot and I'm my toughest critic. The shot you mentioned is one of my favorites as well. Mostly, I just love the piece and that makes me want to work harder at getting good setups. Watches are so much fun...

Love it! I especially like that serial number plaque shot...and the macro dial shot. Great stuff!!

I'm pulling for ya', but I think $3K is a pretty tall order for a nice used watch now that the new pricing has spiked again. Maybe you could find one, but the other problem is that once guys have these they hardly sell them and when you get yours you'll know why. I bet most everyone gives it a near permanent slot. They are so nice to the touch it is just beyond comprehension. I think the price is more than fair for the new watch now despite the increase even. They are really on par with VC, AP, GO for fit and finish alone and if you look at the prices that way they make better sense. I'm glad I got mine discounted but I could see why they have no prblem getting the $7500 retail that they are now. I think you should be able to source a new one in the low $5's or so if you can't find the right used one. Best of luck in any case. I know you will love it when you finally do get it.

thanks for the reply robbie, i have seen them go for $3,500 to $4,000 but you're right ... $3,000 is a tall order.

This watch makes the plat Yachtmaster look like a joke. How I wish they would super-rep this.

I have an 1846 Marine chronometer, SS/slate blue dial, the pride and joy of my collection.

Wear it well, and very nice pix.

Thanks for all the additional compliments guys. Much appreciated. It really is an amazing piece and an important part of my collection. Glad to be able to share it with you all.

Now if they would only give us a great UN rep or two so those of us not likely to get the gen for whatever reason can share in the UN experience...

fyi robbie, i tried the black dial with bracelet on today at my local ad. the retail price was $7,500 but i could have walked out with it today for $6,350. like i said "could have" ... i'm still going to keep an eye open for a lightly used one but it was nice to actually try it on. all the best.

I can get one for you for $5400 new. PM me and I'll steer you if you like.

fyi robbie, i tried the black dial with bracelet on today at my local ad. the retail price was $7,500 but i could have walked out with it today for $6,350. like i said "could have" ... i'm still going to keep an eye open for a lightly used one but it was nice to actually try it on. all the best.

• 4 weeks later...

Update. I just heard from a source in China (well actually he is here, but asked someone in China...) that there may be a factory repping this watch after all. Maybe someone can ask a dealer or two via email right now if you think of it?

I had heard elsewhere that there is another one in the pipeline, but just not this one. Maybe we will have two then? I'm sure many would be happy if that were the case - except Iceberg who admitted in another thread that he thinks my MMD is ugly. We are all entitled to our opinions but that is certainly the first time I have ever heard that word decribing any UN Diver. Not everyones favorite no doubt, but ugly? Oh well. To each his own.

Anyway, the rest of you keep your fingers crossed. Mine are crossed that they will maybe do some different dial colors - maybe even the red - yellow - orange but I'm sure that is wishful thinking. It will also be interesting to see what movement they use and how it handles the PR.

What Camera you using for those shots?

The Macro is awesome.

Yeah, they are an old time Swiss brand with a rich history going back to the 1800's. They were best known back then for making big brass marine chronometers for merchant and military ships. Of special interest is that at that time they were so popular that only two nations didn't use them - The US and Japan. Japan use chronometers made by a very early verison of Seiko and the US was sued by UN for stealing the patent design and reverse engineering it. They made their own in house as one off's and denied the whole thing. UN never won the suit. Anyway, the quality id mind bending. They make really, really great stuff and some of the most amazing horological innovations of the 20th century belong to them. I encourage all that are not familiar to read up on the brand and its innovations. Fascinating stuff for any watch lover.

Love the watch Robbie..What is the background on this brand as I'm not familiar with them..Obviously some nautical history.?

And of course as usual stunning photos.

Well, it isn't all that different than any other 1:1 rep assuming they build it that way and deconstruct it correctly as they did with the Steelfish, Big Bang, etc. Fit and finish will be a tall order as that is off the charts on the gen. It will never feel as good probably, but it should be pretty close. Movement wise i would think the Seagull 2892 clone (the base movement is an ETA 2892 in the gen) should do it. Just need the power reserve module and it should be good to go. We shall see though. You never know which ones they are gonna nail and which they are gonna dog their brains out on...

Gorgeous watch and good choice on the rhodium dial .

If they are indeed repping this one , i doubt they'd ever get this version right .