When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Are you a PC or a MAC ?

exper

I have been a devoted PC user for about 10 years. After talking with several people and reading posts like this one from Pugwash, I cant help but think that that technological bandwagon has left me behind.

Also, to support this, I find it rather suggestive that Microsoft feels the same way, considering that they have attempted to immitate the Mac with Vista.

My next computer will be a Mac laptop.

Have a play with a Mac before you decide to switch; you may not like it. I believe you will, but there's a chance it just isn't right for you. :)

Then again, it'll run Windows, if you don't like Mac OSX.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This comes from someone who has not really used a mac in a good 7 years, when I was at high school all they ran were apples, and I never really liked them then (early 90's) Had to use both Macs and PC's for courses at university, and as much as I wanted to try to like them, still couldn't. They may technically be better than the PC's, but from all the using them over the years I am going to have to stick to the PC's.

This comes from someone who has not really used a mac in a good 7 years, when I was at high school all they ran were apples, and I never really liked them then (early 90's) Had to use both Macs and PC's for courses at university, and as much as I wanted to try to like them, still couldn't. They may technically be better than the PC's, but from all the using them over the years I am going to have to stick to the PC's.

I had the same experience at university as well, though that was towards the end of the 90s/start of this century... didn't like it either then, and not prepared to spend the money to find out. I should visit my brother more often and try it out :) I have no problem if it is a superior product... but I like tinkering with the insides etc I doubt my brother would let me do that though :p I should see if it connects to my Thecus RAID array though, cos that would be a deal-breaker.

Hey what am I saying, I don't intend on buying a new computer for a while!

Apart from my brother, I have a few other friends who didn't like the Mac experience. One of them is an astrophysicist who hated it... but Pug is right, you have to try for yourself first.

I avoided getting an iPhone for quite a while, because I felt I would have been giving into that kind of 'emo-chic' (TM ;) ) consumerism, so had clone phones for a while. In the end, I did buy an iPhone (as the clone became unreliable) and I don't regret it at all. I bought one pre-owned, but in mint condition off the Bay, stuck my Pay as You Go SIM card into it, and it works fine. It can bluetooth to a TomTom no problem at all. It's got a good MP3 player (although I have heard the iPhone's MP3 player as being the worst MP3 player Apple have made... Seems okay to me...) It's also customizable, and able to take on new applications. Right now, mine is downloading a full copy of the Qur'an. Full Arabic text, optional English translations, and Arabic audio as well (Qur'an means 'recitation', and, unlike the Bible, is actually intended to be read aloud and listened to, rather than read silently) I'd like to see another phone with that kind of adaptive flexibility...

Gimmicky, maybe, but, if the gimmick actually does what you want it to do, where's the issue?

[Edit to add]

From my own experiences, I would suggest that the iPhone is something people can't truly appreciate until they have one permanantly. Having a look at a friends, or a display model, only really allows a cursory examination, and, while it gives a general idea as to the phone, much of what makes the iPhone so good, are 'the little things' which aren't immediately apparent during a 'five minute play about'. It's the little quirks of the software which only become apparent when the phone becomes personal property and gets used permanently.

I thought long and hard about getting the iPhone but there are too many things it can't do that I'd want it to do. I have a Nokia N82 and ended up getting a Blackberry Bold which takes care of messaging/internet/GPS and everything I want to do apart from taking photos (N82 is great for that - pretty much the N95 in candybar form with xenon flash, more RAM, and more reliable). The Bold will be able to download the Qur'an (though I have no compunction to download religious texts/audio). I admit the N82 does just about everything already, I should have just got a bluetooth keyboard and use the TV out on my PC monitor :p Even has FlashLite support for websites!

There is also an mp3 app called "miutunes" that does the coverflow method, as well as another one called FlipSide which does a similar job. I'm happy with the stock media players on both the N82 and the Bold. Coverflow is cr*p unless you spend time getting the covers, and a lot of my stuff is ripped from the original CDs or vinyl, so it's a chore getting covers etc. I found a program called Tag + Rename that does a good job with ID3 tags and adding covers, but hey, the phone is usually in my pocket when listening to songs, the covers (which show on both phones) took too much effort to find (anyone got a scan of the vinyl covers for DJ Premier's Unlreased Instrumentals?).

Storage is no problem with hot-swappable 16gb Sandisk microSDHC cards, giving me 17gb in total. 32gb cards on the way too :tu: DivX and XviD support is great too, as well as the push email for 10 email accounts :tu: Internet works well with the default browser and Opera is there too as well. Copy and paste is definitely invaluable... I couldn't do without that! Loads of apps for both phones.... all instant messaging using push is great (but sucks the battery power, or maybe it's just a weak signal here! Weak signals will suck battery power of any phone).

Anyway you get what you are comfortable with and what will do what you want it to do. I'm not sure touchscreen phones are for me. The iPhone almost tempted me, but I'm very happy with the Bold and N82 (wish they'd combine it though ;)). The only new touchscreen that is tempting is the Blackberry Storm which apparently feels like typing on a real keyboard as you have to push the screen in and click it... supposedly almost as fast to type on as the Bold.

Edited by Chronus

I now use an iMac after years of frustration with a PC.

Am no computer expert at all. Quite simply I spent most of my time trying to do what I wanted to do on a PC and failing. Now, with a Mac I spend all of my time achieving what I want simply and efficiently. There is no competition. Mac wins hands down and as to price - they are worth every penny.

I thought long and hard about getting the iPhone but there are too many things it can't do that I'd want it to do. I have a Nokia N82 and ended up getting a Blackberry Bold which takes care of messaging/internet/GPS and everything I want to do apart from taking photos (N82 is great for that - pretty much the N95 in candybar form with xenon flash, more RAM, and more reliable). The Bold will be able to download the Qur'an (though I have no compunction to download religious texts/audio). I admit the N82 does just about everything already, I should have just got a bluetooth keyboard and use the TV out on my PC monitor :p Even has FlashLite support for websites!

There is also an mp3 app called "miutunes" that does the coverflow method, as well as another one called FlipSide which does a similar job. I'm happy with the stock media players on both the N82 and the Bold. Coverflow is cr*p unless you spend time getting the covers, and a lot of my stuff is ripped from the original CDs or vinyl, so it's a chore getting covers etc. I found a program called Tag + Rename that does a good job with ID3 tags and adding covers, but hey, the phone is usually in my pocket when listening to songs, the covers (which show on both phones) took too much effort to find (anyone got a scan of the vinyl covers for DJ Premier's Unlreased Instrumentals?).

Storage is no problem with hot-swappable 16gb Sandisk microSDHC cards, giving me 17gb in total. 32gb cards on the way too :tu: DivX and XviD support is great too, as well as the push email for 10 email accounts :tu: Internet works well with the default browser and Opera is there too as well. Copy and paste is definitely invaluable... I couldn't do without that! Loads of apps for both phones.... all instant messaging using push is great (but sucks the battery power, or maybe it's just a weak signal here! Weak signals will suck battery power of any phone).

Anyway you get what you are comfortable with and what will do what you want it to do. I'm not sure touchscreen phones are for me. The iPhone almost tempted me, but I'm very happy with the Bold and N82 (wish they'd combine it though ;)). The only new touchscreen that is tempting is the Blackberry Storm which apparently feels like typing on a real keyboard as you have to push the screen in and click it... supposedly almost as fast to type on as the Bold.

If it does what you need it to do, then that's all that matters :) With regards the coverflow, are you meaning just the actual section of the iPod where you 'flick through the covers', or the overall technology involved? I admit, I never use it to flick through the covers, not because of a lack of the covers (although I do appreciate the point you mean) but because I can get to what I want quicker by using the artist/song lists. However, in terms of overall technology, I love how it integrates into the other functions, as it does make for a very user-friendly interface (even more so as the screens are customizable) :) The other thing I love about it, is it keeps coming up with new features which impress me (I know, I'm easily impressed :lol: ) For example, the other day I downloaded the Labyrinth game, and it's awesome. But, that's not what impressed me. When I went into the game settings, I found that it had two gauges for showing the orientation, so in effect, the game came with a built in spirit gauge function :) It's the little unexpected things like that which I like about the iPhone, and it's the things like that, which a person will likely not see on any demo or "look at a friend's", but which only come to light during ownership :)

I RUN TomTom on my N95 .. :p

Ahh, I see the difference... There are plenty of GPS apps available for the iPhone (providing you have the 3G version :lol: )

With regards the coverflow, are you meaning just the actual section of the iPod where you 'flick through the covers', or the overall technology involved? I admit, I never use it to flick through the covers, not because of a lack of the covers (although I do appreciate the point you mean) but because I can get to what I want quicker by using the artist/song lists.

Yes that is coverflow - it's on iTunes too (Apple Safari browser decided that was a necessary upgrade for my PC... I've since deleted iTunes, don't need it at all). I go through the artist/song list as well on my phone(s) and am happy going through that way. As with all mp3 players, you need properly done ID3 tags (a pain when you are ripping hundreds from vinyl etc)

However, in terms of overall technology, I love how it integrates into the other functions, as it does make for a very user-friendly interface (even more so as the screens are customizable) :)

I'll have to have a look at that.. I don't understand how the mp3 function would integrate elsewhere? Unless you download an mp3 and it automatically goes to the mp3 player? Which I think most phones do as it is...?

The other thing I love about it, is it keeps coming up with new features which impress me (I know, I'm easily impressed :lol: ) For example, the other day I downloaded the Labyrinth game, and it's awesome. But, that's not what impressed me. When I went into the game settings, I found that it had two gauges for showing the orientation, so in effect, the game came with a built in spirit gauge function :) It's the little unexpected things like that which I like about the iPhone, and it's the things like that, which a person will likely not see on any demo or "look at a friend's", but which only come to light during ownership :)

A lot of the higher end (scratch that, things like Vertu won't have it!) smart phones being released have this as well. It's using an accelerometer which can tell the orientation of your phone etc. Kind of like the Wiimote. The Nokia N95 was the first to use it I think, and that's almost 2 years ago! I remember seeing a "lightsabre" app on the N95 so you wave the phone around like a lightsabre and it makes all the relevant noises etc.

I know my N82 has this as well (screen rotates when you wiew landscape/portrait by default). The N96 has it. The new Blackberry Storm has it etc etc

Ahh, I see the difference... There are plenty of GPS apps available for the iPhone (providing you have the 3G version :lol: )

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the 3G version has TomTom available for it... too much money to be made ;)

Regarding the accelerometer, phones from Samsung and Nokia are using it for simple things like tap the screen twice to silence the ring tone, or turn the phone over etc

And coverflow is great to show off (as the adverts show).

Edited by Chronus

Regarding the accelerometer, phones from Samsung and Nokia are using it for simple things like tap the screen twice to silence the ring tone, or turn the phone over etc

People are still trying to work out how best to use it. Some of the tip control iPhone games would be better without tipping, but a few get it right; it's the same with all new controllers whereby people try to use them simply because they're there.

Weird... that article is dated June... perhaps Apple is the hold-up with their approval process?

People are still trying to work out how best to use it. Some of the tip control iPhone games would be better without tipping, but a few get it right; it's the same with all new controllers whereby people try to use them simply because they're there.

I agree. At some point they'll start to use it properly so that the games are fun as well as being a gimmick, which is how the early ones tend to be. Obviously it's different to the Wii as you are hardly going to swing your phone in a game of tennis because you won't be able to see what's going on :p

With the credit crunching, will anyone be able to buy anything once it's utilized properly ? :o

I can't believe sterling has dropped from about 1 GBP = USD$2 to around 1GBP = USD$ 1.47 :(

I'll have to have a look at that.. I don't understand how the mp3 function would integrate elsewhere? Unless you download an mp3 and it automatically goes to the mp3 player? Which I think most phones do as it is...?

I was meaning the way in which the various displays scroll through finger contact, not just the musical function :)

A lot of the higher end (scratch that, things like Vertu won't have it!) smart phones being released have this as well. It's using an accelerometer which can tell the orientation of your phone etc. Kind of like the Wiimote. The Nokia N95 was the first to use it I think, and that's almost 2 years ago! I remember seeing a "lightsabre" app on the N95 so you wave the phone around like a lightsabre and it makes all the relevant noises etc.

I know my N82 has this as well (screen rotates when you wiew landscape/portrait by default). The N96 has it. The new Blackberry Storm has it etc etc

Indeed, but, on the Labyrinth game settings, there are two 'spirit gauges' (for the two axis of rotation), so, with that mode enabled, putting the phone on a surface, it acts precisely as a traditional spirit gauge would work (the gauges on the settings have the same 'green liquid with bubble' look :) ) There's an application available, which enables for precise measurements using this aspect of the technology, but I haven't downloaded it yet :D