When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where are "We" going ?

lanikai

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse with this post .. but yesterday I requested that a very (imo) derogatory poster of a child running a race be deleted..

and today it still haunts me.. it was not the picture of a kid running a race but rather the caption that blew me away !! and left me speechless for a while..

"Arguing on the internet is like winning a race ... but in the end .. your still retarded" .. and the only reason I am posting the caption is to illustrate without the pic what was posted yesterday...

I am not "blaming" the member who posted it .. nor the comments made after my request and after the poster was taken down..... as this is all "water under the bridge"

What troubles me is the way "we are headed" are we becoming so insensitive as to others because this is thought of as a "Virtual Community?"

and things can be said with no "face to face" repercussions..? jus look at what damaged a "joke" cause to some (the main point of yesterday's thread)

I've alway's thought of RWG as more than "virtual"....

Remember a year ago.. members were noting that they were being PM'd and asked questions without any manners from the sender .. no hello .. or "thank you" for your time.. jus give me.. give me.. give me...

I truly hope we are not evolving into a "Me .. Myself and I " ...

All I have to say about that "Kid" running his race.. is..... for a second use you imagination (of which we have plenty) .. and imagine that child to be "Your" Son .... Nephew..... Brother .... how would you feel if you saw a pic of "your Son" with that caption on the internet

ASK YOURSELF.. "How would that FEEL .. and believe me ... if that were your son.. you would love him jus the same .. maybe be even more protetive of his feelings.. .. yeah it's a unfair and vicious world we live in.. but it doesn't have to be..

For me .. I jus don't know anymore .. I can only hope .. or jus chill for awhile ... but this place is so special to me .. as a lot of others.. I can only hope

Aloha~Cheers

R

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am new to this forum and to the rep world. since i have joined i have read post after post and can tell this place has a community feel, one i would like to be apart of, and with building my own knowledge of reps, would like to contribute one day. it is fascinating that people from different socioeconomic back rounds could come together to share their passions with one another in this type of manner. i am a man that happens to work with children and adults with developmental disabilities and comments like those i really take to heart. you happen to be picking on a population that has an already hard time defending themselves. all we can do is try to educate ourselves and other as best as we can so we do not continue to further the ignorance of thinking.

i will say this, we are all disabled in some way, fact. it is not our disabilities but our ABILITIES, that make us unique and able to learn from one another. we all have a gift to share with others and by shutting out, what you may think is different, is really limiting yourself to growth. people are free to share their opinions and some might do so without thinking of others and this is common. lets not forget we are not the only people in the world and the world will not forget you! for the utmost respect to the people in this community that make it what it is, thank you for letting me be apart of this!

gabe

Edited by iwillfindyou

Lani - I agree that people have become much more course in recent years (since about the mid-1960s). But the online world, I believe, is simply a reflection of what we, as a society, have become in the real world. On the other hand, Political Correctness has run amok, turning a bad joke into 'hate speech'. Tolerance, on both sides, as well as a simple adherence to the old Golden Rule (Do unto others as you would have them done unto you), would go a long way to righting alot of today's wrongs.

Lanikai,

The picture you requested removed is a well-known image macro that's pulled out every time an argument gets silly. I'm shocked you've not come across it before as it's been popular on most forums in the last 5 years.

Oh, and the text is "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics ..." with a picture of a Downs kid winning a race. Yes, it's sick humour, but let's not become over-sensitive. Internet forums are like school playgrounds, we have sick jokes, bullies, cliques and over-protective minders; the humour usually regresses to school kid humour. Don't over-analyse it and don't over-react.

It was posted as an insult to my internet persona and as such was brushed off like all childish humour - in the manner it was intended.

Dude, it was just a crap joke.

btw for the record, the poster was me

being very honest, i didnt even realize there was a disabled kid in pic before your post

the point of the joke isnt the kid as everyone knows, its "arguing in the internet is pointless, even if ur right you are still ****"

well, you take it too serious or somehow personally attacked or i dont know but mainly because you work with disabled kids (i didnt know that)

its not my point to make fun about them, why would i do that....dont take it that way

Lani,

The sentiments you are showing to the community are honoring you and the community.

Such a photo and such a caption have no place anywhere in my opinion, and surely not here.

It's the open gate to intolerance, racism (won't name them all) and we should remember where those ideas are leading the humanity, each time, without exception as history shows.

I predict that we will have some posts in this thread saying:

"it was tasteless, but no bad intention meant probably"

Well, if no bad intention is meant, why post it in the first place.

You are so right when mentionning the nice people, fair and honest, trying to be polite and friendly.

But yes, there are also the other ones.

That, I agree is the internet. Education is not allways there.

But not saying "Hello" prior to ask "where can I find a gen insert" and not even signing

btw for the record, the poster was me

being very honest, i didnt even realize there was a disabled kid in pic before your post

the point of the joke isnt the kid as everyone knows, its "arguing in the internet is pointless, even if ur right you are still ****"

well, you take it too serious or somehow personally attacked or i dont know but mainly because you work with disabled kids (i didnt know that)

its not my point to make fun about them, why would i do that....dont take it that way

i completely understand iceberg, and it was probably my own personal bias speaking, and for that i apologize. i represent the voice of these people who virtually in our society tend to remain voiceless. i do not get easily offended by remarks or political incorrectness as it would be a tremendous battle to fight. i do appreciate your explanation, i did not read the original thread but was responding to what lanikai was saying..we all get lost in translation sometimes. but yes and anyhoo i hope all is well with the forum and its great people!

I'm sorry, I grew up on National Lampoon and Mad magazine and I am a big fan of tastless humor. That does not mean that I don't have any taste however. I also have much compassion for my fellow man, the downtrodden and those who cannot defend themselves. When it comes to humor, I do believe that there are bounds to tastlessness, and in the case mentioned by our friend Lanikai, I cannot say that the line was crossed IMHO. I also believe in the sacredness of women. I believe that a woman should be placed upon a pedastel. Just high enough to look up her dress. ;)

R as Puggy states it is a very over used pic on the net and one that I too have had a running battle with, there are a number of members here that have used it at one time or another and I have zapped it everytime.

However each time I have jumped on it the reaction I have received not just from the poster but others in the thread has been like "What's the problem"

Unfortunately most just don't understand how sick it is.

Ken

Morning all, I see alot of the problems here are just the same in real life, some people have different tastes and houmor levels and people get offended inthe real world by what people say and do, some people are impolite and that is becoming more comon place, alot of people are in tilorent and others are inconsiderent. Here is no different! we all come from different cultures and places.

Where the problem can be maginfied is that this is a writen world, when we first got dater comunications in my job to replace radio trafic we all had to learn to think about what and how we wrote somr thing. On a radio every thing was spoken in a language with rules that were set in stone! it did not matter what the position or standing was of the person the other end was he got the same voice and wording no matter! when you have to compose a sentance, (and please bear in mind that some of the people that join my profession are drawn from the lower end ofthe education spectrum, like myself) and structure it to be polite so as not to offend or upset the person on the other end as they may be in your rank structure the CEO or MD with the lowest driver or store man writing it, and still get the same responce that you would expect if you sent the order over a radio. it took quite a few long walks to some ones location for a face to face untill people thought about how they wrote what they did.

We all have to learn to be tactfull, considerate, tolerant. But at the end of the day and you are not in the mood for that just tell the bloke who pissed you off to Fuck off.

I am off to the GGG thread as it is the only place where that content is available where i am in the world right now.

Andy OUT.

Lanikai,

The picture you requested removed is a well-known image macro that's pulled out every time an argument gets silly. I'm shocked you've not come across it before as it's been popular on most forums in the last 5 years.

Oh, and the text is "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics ..." with a picture of a Downs kid winning a race. Yes, it's sick humour, but let's not become over-sensitive. Internet forums are like school playgrounds, we have sick jokes, bullies, cliques and over-protective minders; the humour usually regresses to school kid humour. Don't over-analyse it and don't over-react.

It was posted as an insult to my internet persona and as such was brushed off like all childish humour - in the manner it was intended.

Dude, it was just a crap joke.

I have to admit that I agree with Pugwash on this one.

I would imagine that the majority of people who see the humor (and the truth) in the juxaposition of the phrase and the image would be among the first to aid or otherwise defend the individual(s) depicted. Being able to joke about a disability does not preclude taking it seriously.

I'm sorry, I grew up on National Lampoon and Mad magazine and I am a big fan of tastless humor. That does not mean that I don't have any taste however. I also have much compassion for my fellow man, the downtrodden and those who cannot defend themselves. When it comes to humor, I do believe that there are bounds to tastlessness, and in the case mentioned by our friend Lanikai, I cannot say that the line was crossed IMHO. I also believe in the sacredness of women. I believe that a woman should be placed upon a pedastel. Just high enough to look up her dress. ;)

Sorry E .. I still consider you a friend but was totally shocked at your attitude concerning this "issue".. I'm no boy Scout believe me.. not close to Gandhi's non-violent protest by any measure.. but I do draw the line at "humor" .. when using someones disability to make a joke is where I draw the line!

If you feel justified with your "joke excuse" then that's your kuliana .. you ever think about how many people are affected in a "family" when your child is the brunt of a "joke" .. "but it was jus for fun" you might say.. you think his family would laugh and be grateful ? you ever think of their siblings who constantly hear growing up .. about their brother who is "different" .. I think if you had what others may call a burden you may feel diferently..

ever seen a "group" of boy's making a "joke" about your relative and not being able to do a thing about it ? .. and the "case mentioned by our friend lanikai".. has everything to do with common decency and not self righteous behaviour.

@Pug.. jus because something is done over and over does not make it right .. there are force in numbers ... that also .. dosen't make it right ..

and to all.. NO.. not jus because I have dealings with and have friends in which their gene chain was misspelled by one link making them "different" from others.. that's not it at all !!! One of them teaches me more about loving life than I can teach myself..

I guess for some it jus goes right OVER THE HEAD .... Jus cannot grasp the relavance of the issue at hand..

@iceberg.. no man.. I'm no angel ! .. if you only knew ... I hope one day you can experience what it is like to have someone with a disability "teach" you to respect yourself .. so you in turn can respect others .. cause respect is earned (imo) ... and until you give YOURSELF the respect that only you can "earn" .. then you may not understand what my issue with the poster is about..

and no.. not time for a group hug ... like I say .. I'm no boy Scout.. you'd probably get "false cracked" before you get a hug from me right now..

Sorry .. SOME JUS DON'T GET IT AND I GUESS NEVER WILL..(Hopefully someday you will)

i feel for lanikai..i completely understand when you say you learn about life and love from these people and being around them gives you more appreciation for life. you make very valid points. i have come to learn that we must pick our battles on issues like these and understanding we cant win all of them is reality, but for the few who have the same type of regard for these types of things it is our responsibility to live through example so the ones who do have a closed door can see what it really means...just my 2 cents

Lanikai, I respect your opinion on this matter, and we can still be friends while agreeing to disagree. Aloha.

Lanikai, I respect your opinion on this matter, and we can still be friends while agreeing to disagree. Aloha.

That is correct E !!.. friendships are not to be broken over different opinions.. that goes for all on this thread... we can voice our passions and likes and dislikes .. such is life .. time for me to let this go.. I mainly posted the thread cause it was really haunting me in some way's .. I still feel the same about the poster and caption.. but it'll be easier to let it go now .. since I got out, how I feel about the issue..

Malama Pono..

R

That is correct E !!.. friendships are not broken over different opinions.. that goes for all on this thread... we can voice our passions and likes and dislikes .. such is life .. time for me to let this go..

Yeah, let's not argue over it because arguing on the internet is ... um, damn. That's how we got here in the first place. ;)

Let's agree not to see eye-to-eye on this matter and walk away with respect intact.

Let's agree not to see eye-to-eye on this matter and walk away with respect intact.

Whose respect intact!?

That's an extremely insulting thing to say, especially for height-disadvantaged people.

Yeah, just walk away, Pugs.

Disgusting.

dwarf1qk2.jpg

And stop laughing, dammit!