When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Double Red on the Bay...

TwoTone

love the movt. description, makes it look like a complicated masterpiece

Movement

Mechanical with automatic winding, Caliber 1570, rhodium-plated, oeil-de-perdrix decoration, 26 jewels, straight-line lever escapement, monometallic balance adjusted to temperatures and 5 positions, shock absorber, Microstella regulating screws.

but something wrong with this one

Case

Stainless Steel, Diameter: 40 mm; Thickness: 17 mm. Black rotative bezel with 60-minute scale. Plastic crystal with cyclops magnifying glass on date aperture at 3; screw-down back and screw-down crown. Case-back engraved: Patent Pending - Oyster Gas escape valve.

No worries, it's not about making friends, we're all here to learn something. In this case I believe the seller thinks he has a first-year extremely limited edition piece. Funny thing is it looks more like a Mk-II to me. But the case back is very unusual...

No worries, it's not about making friends, we're all here to learn something. In this case I believe the seller thinks he has a first-year extremely limited edition piece. Funny thing is it looks more like a Mk-II to me. But the case back is very unusual...

Yeah, weirdo case back

Rolex001 is right too: at least 5 times the current price for a certified one.

This one seems to be put toghether with various pieces from different origins.

Beg to differ chief....that's clearly a Mk I dial - the same almost-filled-in coronet as your choccy Mk2 but both red text lines are equal pt size.

The caseback doesn't look particularly unusual to me - I'd be more interested in what is INSIDE the caseback to be honest, and see if the part serial and quarter-year '67 is in there, and tallies up.

But seriously 200 grand? Perhaps if it was a celebrity-owned or interesting-provenanced Patent Pending HeV Sub-case early 1665 SRSD, AND there was a bidding war at an Antiquorum auction, then maybe just maybe it could fetch a price in this stratosphere. But for this piece? If it's legit original, then 50k is not an unreasonable estimate given the market.

Edited by docblackrock

Beg to differ chief....that's clearly a Mk I dial - the same almost-filled-in coronet as your choccy Mk2 but both red text lines are equal pt size.

The caseback doesn't look particularly unusual to me - I'd be more interested in what is INSIDE the caseback to be honest, and see if the part serial and quarter-year '67 is in there, and tallies up.

But seriously 200 grand? Perhaps if it was a celebrity-owned or interesting-provenanced Patent Pending HeV Sub-case early 1665 SRSD, AND there was a bidding war at an Antiquorum auction, then maybe just maybe it could fetch a price in this stratosphere. But for this piece? If it's legit original, then 50k is not an unreasonable estimate given the market.

I agree about wanting to see what is on the inside of the caseback.

If it is a SRSD caseback...I would go back to the future to see in the flesh even if I had to give a arm for that...a SRSD :wub:

The caseback is a genuine PP - but how in the world can somebody try to sell a watch for 200 Grand with two shabby pics and a wrong Submarienr booklet in place?

I think the lack of pics & wrong booklet is a tactic used by some high end dealers to weed out the punters from the serious buyers. Legitimate buyers will inquire for additional pictures.

I think the lack of pics & wrong booklet is a tactic used by some high end dealers to weed out the punters from the serious buyers. Legitimate buyers will inquire for additional pictures.

That's a good thought, on the one hand for teh mentione reason and on hte other one to save the astronomic PP fees that must be applied on a 200k sale...