When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It just occurred to me that it is Friday

freddy333

What's that old saying? "You can't teach an old dog new tricks..."

Well, my brothers of horology, I come here today with proof positive to the contrary ^_^

A feedback thread made me remember the Omega X-33 I bought from Silix a while back, and which has made an excellent paperweight this past year.

My inspiration for buying this watch, is my interest in collecting movie memorabilia, as Tom Cruise wore a modified version of the watch, on an after-market strap, in Minority Report.

minorityreport04.jpg

Of course, it underwent some pretty significant modifications...

37727686_5d8e920392.jpg

and even caused legal troubles due to the re-branding...

Anyway... When my gran died, not only did I use my inheritance money to buy my 2531.80 SMP and my 45mm Planet Ocean, but I also bought a replica of the jacket worn by Mr Cruise.

minorityreport_1.jpg

minority_report.jpg

so obviously, I had to have the watch to go with it B);)

I put it on an after-market strap, wore it a hand-full of times, then promptly lost all interest in it.

DSCN2183.jpg

Until today :lol:

I figured I'd give it a little wrist time, but was totally not in the mood for wearing it on the leather strap (interestingly, if you look for photos of astronauts and pilots wearing this watch, you will not find any wearing it on the stock bracelet :huh: )

As the case has the mid-lug 'peg holes' which are needed by some Omega reps to keep the strap from flexing from the case, I thought I'd try fitting the strap from my 45mm Planet Ocean. One part of the strap went on in seconds, the other, the spring bar simply refused to engage into the lug hole. I was on the verge of quitting, when I remembered that I had another Seamaster strap knocking about in my drawer... One which I had removed the 'pegs' from. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I got it out. Once more, one part went on in seconds, but this time, with a little persuasion, the spring bar engaged :thumbsupsmileyanim: While there are obviously no pegs to prevent the end of the strap flexing from the case, it is actually a pretty snug fit, so the flexing is no worse than on the Planet Ocean :good: Pretty satisfactory result, I feel :victory:

I suppose I'd best show you all how it now looks :lol:

DSCN0437.jpg

So, the moral of the story: Even old watches and straps can have another day :good: