When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breaking habits

andreww

I've been collecting automatic reps for five or six years now and my collection is at about a dozen watches. My main watchbox has six slots that are filled (my daily worn pieces) plus the one on my wrist makes seven. For a number of years I have been hand winding each of these watches before bed every night to ensure that whatever piece strikes my fancy is always at the ready. I've not had any movement issues as of yet, but I am constantly noticing the screw downs on the crowns are getting less and less reliable (especially the Omegas).

I've decided that its time to put an end to this destructive behavior, and have vowed to leave all my watches to grind to a halt. I will choose the next day's watch every evening and bring it to life with a gentle shake, and adjust the date and time. Something tells me that this behavior pattern may be a lot harder to kick than I think, but I see it as "tough love".

Hopefully I'll be increasing the lifespan of these watches, but only time will tell. I'll let you know how things work out.

Anybody else kicked the habit?

I always took the opposite view. I never wind anything nor did I ever want a auto winder because for me, half the fun is having to set the watch and start it with a few winds (if it is an auto) or wind it fully (if it is a handwind) when I decide to wear it. I cherish the time spent putting in the work before getting to wear my watch in the morning. My watches are kept at the office (which may as well be my home) anyway and sometimes I come in in the middle of the night if I have to put something on or manage something when London opens. So for me, a nightly ritual wouldn't be practical anyway I suppose. But my friends with autowinders think I'm crazy. I can say though that if I ever own a perpetual calendar I will get a single autowinder as the whole fun there is seeing how long you can go without touching it...

I just leave them in the box. It is too much effort to keep them all going plus what The Zigmeister says. I still go through the morning routine of reviewing the lot and seeing which one is calling to me that morning. There is always one that wants to get out of the box.

Usil

Well I made it through the first day without winding. Took a little self control when I looked at my box last night and saw that two of my autos had ground to a halt. I threw on my Navitimer and played about two hours of guitar, mostly Alex Lifeson riffs, so it should be good for a few days. Then I quenched my "winding addiction" by throwing on my manual wind 192 for today at the office. I keep telling myself I can do this!

I gave up on it when my winder started breaking. Only 2 out of 5 winders still work. The only ones that need much manual winding are the 7750's. My peeve is the two that have developed an issue with the crown. When I screw it back down it engages and flips over the date. My Invicta 9937 (gen. ETA) has done this for a year and now my SSD is doing it. :thumbdown: Very annoying.

Damn. I own so many automatics. 1/2 are eta, and 1/2 are Asian 21j's.

I wear just a few on a regular basis.

I never use a watch winder.

When I put the newest on the wrist, I set time and date, wind it and wear it.

If The Zigmeister uses a winder for his 6 favorites, then I guess it is time for a winder.

i have a quad winder. it holds 4 watches on the winders and 6 below.

Its served me well for over a year now, but its starting to get louder. I hope it doesnt die anytime soon. If it does I'm not sure Ill find another for as cheap and as reliable..it was like 50.00 shipped on ebay!