When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brain Teaser Game!

cornerstone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WINNER!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

And WINNER @ irongambit too! ;)

Pugwash got 2 hours (and the plums), but insolence got the better of him. :bleh:

Gary Gladhand, the politician, was very tired after a long day of campaigning. He went to bed at 10pm wound his alarm clock and set it for noon the next day. Since Gary fell asleep almost immediately, how many hours of sleep did he get before the alarm clock woke him?

In hours? 13 full hours...(he fell asleep past 10... woke up at noon so the 14th hour is not a full hour but a bit less depending on how long it took him to fall asleep - and the nightly dose of valium- ) :whistling:

A

PS: THAT IS...IF THE ALARM CLOCK WAS DIGITAL.... ;) apparently politicians can wind digital alarm clocks...

And how! :animal_rooster:

I'm trying to see why it's not 14 hours. Ah, because it's a wind up clock implying it'll go off every 12 hours. He'll get 2 hours sleep, the idiot. :animal_rooster::animal_rooster::animal_rooster::animal_rooster:

WINNER on the buzzer!! :cc_scooter:

The Amazing Jason, the famous magician, is standing on a concrete floor holding a raw egg in his outstretched hand. Without the aid of any objects, he is able to drop the egg two metres without breaking its shell. How does he accomplish this feat? :blink:

The Amazing Jason, the famous magician, is standing on a concrete floor holding a raw egg in his outstretched hand. Without the aid of any objects, he is able to drop the egg two metres without breaking its shell. How does he accomplish this feat? :blink:

Does a swimming pool count as an object?

He just drops it 2 metres in the air and catches it again afterwards...

He just drops it 2 metres in the air and catches it again afterwards...

I think you'll find that it's at 2m05 (he's a tall bloke) when it hits the floor that it breaks, but I don't want to be the one that answers every one of these. :D

In fact, I'm going to drop out of teasing Brian and let the rest of you have a go. :animal_rooster:

I think you'll find that it's at 2m05 (he's a tall bloke) when it hits the floor that it breaks, but I don't want to be the one that answers every one of these. :D

WINNER! Aye, he drops it from higher than 2m. You don't need to be very tall!

A woman had two sons who were born in the same hour of the same day of the same year, but they were not twins. How could this be so? :o

I'm afraid that the chicken smiley has now taken on a meaning of its own.

So now combinations of smileys now have less innoucous meanings, such as...

:bleh::animal_rooster: , or

:1::animal_rooster:

and I sure don't want to see any :wub::animal_rooster: out of you guys as that would be :yuk:

102490-25894.jpg

:blink:

Because they were sextuplets. Sadly, Mom suffered a nervous breakdown one year later when they began walking.

WINNER!!

There is a well known story of a famous German mathematician, who showed his brilliance as a young boy. (Melvin, was it you?!) While in elementary school, he was given the problem of finding the sum of all the whole numbers from one to 100. For most of us it would be a long and tricky task, but he found an easy way to solve it in his head in just a few moments. What is the answer, and how did he do it so easily? :whistling:

There is a well known story of a famous German mathematician, who showed his brilliance as a young boy. (Melvin, was it you?!) While in elementary school, he was given the problem of finding the sum of all the whole numbers from one to 100. For most of us it would be a long and tricky task, but he found an easy way to solve it in his head in just a few moments. What is the answer, and how did he do it so easily? :whistling:

His Name was Karl Friedrich Gauss, and not Melvin...

In the set of numbers, each number at the far extreme (except 100 and 50) has an inverse on the other extreme, that when added together equals 100.

i.e. 1 + 99 = 100

2 + 98 = 100

etc, etc.

so with 49 "pairs" of 100 + the 50 and 100 that we left out...

(49 X 100) + 50 + 100 = 5050.

In the set of numbers, each number at the far extreme (except 100 and 50) has an inverse on the other extreme, that when added together equals 100.

i.e. 1 + 99 = 100

2 + 98 = 100

etc, etc.

so with 49 "pairs" of 100 + the 50 and 100 that we left out...

(49 X 100) + 50 + 100 = 5050.

Not bad Irongambit, same result in the end, but Gauss found it out this way:

(1 + 100) + (2 + 99) + (3 + 98) + . . . . + (50 + 51) = ?

If you notice every pair of numbers adds up to 101. There are 50

pairs of numbers, so the answer is 50*101 = 5050.

Not bad Irongambit, same result in the end, but Gauss found it out this way:

(1 + 100) + (2 + 99) + (3 + 98) + . . . . + (50 + 51) = ?

If you notice every pair of numbers adds up to 101. There are 50

pairs of numbers, so the answer is 50*101 = 5050.

Ahhhh....that's even easier.

Obviously I didn't spend too much time paying attention in Math class. :) As I've grown older, I'm somewhat ashamed of what little studying I did prior to university. I'll have to read up on this Gauss.

Ahhhh....that's even easier.

Obviously I didn't spend too much time paying attention in Math class. :) As I've grown older, I'm somewhat ashamed of what little studying I did prior to university. I'll have to read up on this Gauss.

Are you kidding me!! :o

Given the same problem I probably have gone the 1+2 and 2+3 and 3+4 route :lol:

Ken

Well today marks an unprecedented event in the Brain Teaser Game - the back of the card was wrong! :o

WINNER@Irongambit for getting the exact answer on the back of the card, but a special mention to:

UBER-WINNER@Melvin for giving the true answer!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The back of the card says he used 100, but you're right, he used 101.

There was a boy in my class at school who could do the cube root of any number in his head. I can only assume he was dropped as a child. ;)

Candy Barr has five bags of sweets to give her nieces. Four of the bags have a total of 84 sweets. The fifth contains four sweets less than the average of the five bags. How many sweets are in the fifth bag? :g:

Ken

WINNER!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: This man knows his sweeties!! ;)

Right, I hope none of you have been drinking for this one - I'm confused and I'm sober...and know the answer! :lol:

The letters on the glass door of a beauty salon read correctly when viewed from the street. How would this lettering appear when seen in a mirror in the salon, which reflects it from a mirror, which reflects it from another mirror? Explain. :cry:

Damn right I do bucko :bleh:

And the lettering on the Beauty Palour door will read correctly ie; from inside it is reversed however in the first reflection it is correct, in the second it is reversed again and in the final reflection it reads correctly.

Ken

You sure?

Of course! There are 100 sweets in total.

Damn right I do bucko :bleh:

And the lettering on the Beauty Palour door will read correctly ie; from inside it is reversed however in the first reflection it is correct, in the second it is reversed again and in the final reflection it reads correctly.

Ken

WINNER!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I like this one:

A horse travels a certain distace each day. Strangely enough, two of its legs travel 30 km each day and the other two legs travel 31 km. It would seem that two of the horse's legs must be almost a km ahead of the other two legs, but of course this is not the case. Since the horse is quite normal, how is this situation possible?

Bonus horse question: What was 'Archer' famous for?