When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brain Teaser Game!

cornerstone

just woke up...

how about queue?

WINNER!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Just beat Pugwash to it!

Suppose you have an open topped box that is 5cm x 5cm x 5cm (capacity: 125 cubic cm). Inside the box is a steel ball-bearing that is 25 cubic cm in size. Next to the box is a two litre pail filled with mercury. How many cubic cm of mercury would you pour into the box to completely submerge the ball bearing? :g:

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just beat Pugwash to it!

Suppose you have an open topped box that is 5cm x 5cm x 5cm (capacity: 125 cubic cm). Inside the box is a steel ball-bearing that is 25 cubic cm in size. Next to the box is a two litre pail filled with mercury. How many cubic cm of mercury would you pour into the box to completely submerge the ball bearing? :g:

The ball would never be submerged because mercury is so dense that the ball would swim on the surface...

OK. I got another easy one for you guys until cornerstone is back to tell me that I am a winner... :victory:

There are two railroad tracks that are parallel to each other until they come to a bridge, where they cross. One day, two trains leave in opposing directions of one another, on opposite tracks. They both cross at the bridge and over the intersection, but do not actually collide. How is this possible?

OK. I got another easy one for you guys until cornerstone is back to tell me that I am a winner... :victory:

There are two railroad tracks that are parallel to each other until they come to a bridge, where they cross. One day, two trains leave in opposing directions of one another, on opposite tracks. They both cross at the bridge and over the intersection, but do not actually collide. How is this possible?

They don't pass under the bridge at the same time.

One pass goes out and than the other goes into the bridge :blink:

They don't pass under the bridge at the same time.

....and that´s absolutely CORRECT ! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

They leave at different times so they reach the bridge at different times. I knew it was too easy... :bangin:

Here´s another short and easy one...

If I were in Hawaii and dropped a bowling ball in a bucket of water which is 45 degrees F, and dropped another ball of the same weight, mass, and size in a bucket at 30 degrees F, both of them at the same time, which ball would hit the bottom of the bucket first?

Edited by melvin.x

If I were in Hawaii and dropped a bowling ball in a bucket of water which is 45 degrees F, and dropped another ball of the same weight, mass, and size in a bucket at 30 degrees F, both of them at the same time, which ball would hit the bottom of the bucket first?

The ball would hit first in the bucket that was at 30 degrees that had no water in it, assuming that they were dropped from the same distance.

Now if you were to assume that the 30 degree F bucket did have water in it, then the reverse is true, as at 30 degrees F, the water would be completely frozen, so the ball wouldn't touch the bottom of the bucket until the ice melted.

Multiple answers based on multiple wording assumptions.

The ball would hit first in the bucket that was at 30 degrees that had no water in it, assuming that they were dropped from the same distance.

Now if you were to assume that the 30 degree F bucket did have water in it, then the reverse is true, as at 30 degrees F, the water would be completely frozen, so the ball wouldn't touch the bottom of the bucket until the ice melted.

Multiple answers based on multiple wording assumptions.

Can´t fool you... B)

Of course your first answer is CORRECT, because the question said nothing about water in the bucket at 30 degrees F.

Congratulations!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

OK. I try again...

Imagine two bridges that are exactly alike except that every dimension of one bridge is twice as large as the other. For example, the larger bridge is exactly two times longer, its structural members are exactly two times thicker, and so forth. Which of the two bridges would be stronger, or is their strength the same?

The smaller bridge is stronger. Doubling the dimensions would exponentionally increase weight while not increasing "strength" per diameter of structural member, etc. of the bridge.

...and once again...CORRECT ANSWER !!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I have to go to bed now, but wasn´t there a question still unanswered ? :whistling:

Good night...

You are a winner!! :lol:;)

Arthur only had $2 but he needed $3 for his cab fare home. Undaunted, he went to a pawn shop and pawned his $2 for $1.50. Art then bumped into Duncan and told him that he would sell his $2 pawn ticket for $1.50. Duncan agreed. Since Arthur started out with $2 and ended up with $3, who is out the extra dollar and why?

Duncan is because he still has to pay another $1.50 to pick up the $2

But Slim Dusty knew that Ducan was an easy touch, that's why he loved to share a beer with him. :D

Ken

Not just Dunc, but also Col, Kev, Pat and Bob. Bit of a beer tart that Slim! ;)

Which would be worth more, a kilogram of $10 pure gold coins or half a kilogram of $20 pure gold coins; or would they be worth the same amount? Explain.

P.S. Feckin' census!! Bringing back bad tax return vibes so soon after July!

Oh BTW in your question there let's get rid of those misleading $10 and $20 bits, what we have is half a kilo of gold verses a Kilo of gold...........I know which one I would prefer to have. :lol:

Ken

Oh BTW in your question there let's get rid of those misleading $10 and $20 bits, what we have is half a kilo of gold verses a Kilo of gold...........I know which one I would prefer to have. :lol:

Ken

Ah, the spirit of the Victorian Gold Rush lives on I see!! :lol: WINNER! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

How could you rearrange the letters in the words new door to make one word? NB: There is only one correct answer.

the letters in "new door" can be rearranged to write "one word"

This is a most unusual paragraph. How quickly can you find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so ordinary you'd think nothing was wrong with it - and in fact, nothing is wrong with it. It is unusual though. Why? Study it, think about it, and you may find out. Try to do it without coaching (or Googling). If you work at it for a bit it will dawn on you. So jump to it and try your skill at figuring it out. Good luck - don't blow your cool! :D

I couldn't resist, so I googled after answering. Looks like I'm a WINNER!

Hold your horses.....

Hold it......

Holding them....?

Ah you're right! WINNER!! :bleh::thumbsupsmileyanim:

While lounging in the bath, Hardy decided to play with his two foot long plastic boat :blink: which was filled with metal nuts :o and bolts.

While 'playing' he accidentally tipped the boat over, dumping the contents into the water. :brow:

With the nuts and bolts in the water, will the water level in the bathtub rise, fall or stay the same as it was when the nuts and bolts were in the boat?

Man, this is digging back to my high school knowledge, but I think this is a plausible answer:

The water level will fall. When the nuts and bolts were in the boat, they displace their MASS in water, since the boat effectively makes the metal bouyant. When they fall in, they will displace their VOLUME, which since metal is denser than water, will be a smaller amount of water, making the water level fall.

So hows about it? Am I a genius?

Man, this is digging back to my high school knowledge, but I think this is a plausible answer:

The water level will fall. When the nuts and bolts were in the boat, they displace their MASS in water, since the boat effectively makes the metal bouyant. When they fall in, they will displace their VOLUME, which since metal is denser than water, will be a smaller amount of water, making the water level fall.

So hows about it? Am I a genius?

:g: .....GENIUS! :lol: WINNER! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

The Amazing Jason, the famous magician, claims he can tell the score of any football game before it even starts. Many think he is psychic and possesses supernatural powers. How is it that he can be accurate about the score 99 per cent of the time? :o