When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Brain Teaser Game!

cornerstone

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picture a litre of milk and a litre of Sangria. A cup of Sangria is poured into the milk and mixed thoroughly. Then, a cup of this mixture is poured back into the Sangria. Is the amount of Sangria now in the milk more, less, or the same as the amount of milk in Sangria? :g:

Rather than saying "Depends on the size of the cup", I'm going to answer ...

A cup is a decilitre. So, you get 90cl of Sangria left and 100cl/10cl of milk. Assuming these can be emulsified, and this isn't a trick question, you then take 10cl of Mangria (Silk was already taken) which is 10/11 Milk and add it to the Sangria, giving you 90.909cl Sangria in the starting jug and ... it's the same.

In fact, it has to be the same. You're swapping a set amount from each jug

No I'm not with you there Puggy, if you pour a cup full of Sangria and a cup full of Milk then poured each in to the others container then it would be the same.

However here we are pouring the Sangria into the Milk first, so providing some blending occurs when you re-pour a cup from the (now) Mangria you will then be returning a fluid which has to some extent a Milk content to the Sangria.

Now for the result to be the same then the cup you take from the Mangria must contain 50% Sangria, however if (for the purpose of this question) the Sangria blended completely with the Milk then what you have in your cup is 9 parts of Milk to 1 part of Sangria.

Therefore at the end of the little experiment there must in fact be more Sangria in the Milk than vice-versa.

I think :unsure:

Ken

No I'm not with you there Puggy

Here's the easy explanation: No matter how much you take out of either jug, you can't have more of one liquid in either jug than another.

If you have a 75/25 mix, you have to have a 25/75 mix in the other jug. You only have a fixed identical amount of each liquid. :animal_rooster:

And yes, it's all about the Cockstrap :D

WINNER!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That wasn't an easy one, so kudos! I think the time he saves going faster downstream doesn't compensate for the extra time he spent going slower upstream.

Picture a litre of milk and a litre of Sangria. A cup of Sangria is poured into the milk and mixed thoroughly. Then, a cup of this mixture is poured back into the Sangria. Is the amount of Sangria now in the milk more, less, or the same as the amount of milk in Sangria? :g:

It's got to be Sangria. The first cup is a distraction. In the end, you poured ONE cup of the mixture into the Sangria.

:victory:

This was one of the toughest questions so far, I've had it up my sleeve for over a week. ;)

But there can only be one winner - and it is VICTORY @ PUGWASH :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That's not just for the correct answer, but also the best explanation. :clap:

Using his 10cl cup:

JUG 1 = 100 cl milk JUG 2 = 100 cl SANGRIA

The cup of Sangria is put into the milk

JUG 1 = 100 cl milk, 10 cl sangria JUG 2 = 90 cl of Sangria

The cup from Jug 1 is 10/11 milk, 1/11 sangria. So we deduct that from jug 1, and add it to jug 2

JUG 1 = 90.91 cl milk, 9.091 cl sangria JUG 2 = 90.91 cl sangria, 9.091 cl milk

B)

Sam is in prison and planning his escape. The cell he is in measures 3m by 3m by 3m. The walls are made of reinforced concrete and they extend 2m beneath the dirt floor. The only openings in the cell are a locked door and a skylight 1m in diametre. Sam thinks he has found a way to escape so he begins digging a tunnel. He knows he can't tunnel himself out, but digging a tunnel is crucial for his plan. How does he plan to escape?

This was one of the toughest questions so far, I've had it up my sleeve for over a week. ;)

But there can only be one winner - and it is VICTORY @ PUGWASH :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That's not just for the correct answer, but also the best explanation. :clap:

Using his 10cl cup:

JUG 1 = 100 cl milk JUG 2 = 100 cl SANGRIA

The cup of Sangria is put into the milk

JUG 1 = 100 cl milk, 10 cl sangria JUG 2 = 90 cl of Sangria

The cup from Jug 1 is 10/11 milk, 1/11 sangria. So we deduct that from jug 1, and add it to jug 2

JUG 1 = 90.91 cl milk, 9.091 cl sangria JUG 2 = 90.91 cl sangria, 9.091 cl milk

B)

That is a good one, Pugwash :thumbsupsmileyanim: .

dig a hole to accumulate enough dirt to climb on top of to get out through the skylight?

An easy one:

A farmer in Somerset owns a beautiful pear tree. He supplies the fruit to a nearby grocery store. The store owner has called the farmer to see how much fruit is available to purchase. The farmer knows that the main trunk has 24 branches. Each branch has exactly 12 boughs and each bough has exactly 6 twigs. Since each twig bears one piece of fruit, how many plums will the farmer be able to deliver?

Well you could give him a good seeing to with that cockstrap of yours :whistling:

Ken

:o(backs slowly against the wall)

So I take it you all give up then do I? :animal_rooster:

It takes Sandy three hours to paint a fence, and it takes Claude six hours to complete the same job. How long would it take both of them working together at their normal paces to complete the same job? Explain.

It takes Sandy three hours to paint a fence, and it takes Claude six hours to complete the same job. How long would it take both of them working together at their normal paces to complete the same job? Explain.

Two Hours. Explain? Because it does.

:o(backs slowly against the wall)

So I take it you all give up then do I? :animal_rooster:

Sorry to interrupt Ken Maister and Pugs the Wizard of all puzzles! But I think, provided that Claude and Sandy don't get busy agaisnt a half painted wall :wub: , it will take 2 hours...

Sandy will have painted 2/3 of the wall...(she takes 3 hours to finish the job - 3/3 -), that leaves the remaining 1/3...Claude takes 6 hours to do the job...so in two hours he would have completed the remaining 1/3... :animal_rooster:

Cheers

Alex :whistling:

Sorry to interrupt Ken Maister and Pugs the Wizard of all puzzles! But I think, provided that Claude and Sandy don't get busy agaisnt a half painted wall :wub: , it will take 2 hours...

Sandy will have painted 2/3 of the wall...(she takes 3 hours to finish the job - 3/3 -), that leaves the remaining 1/3...Claude takes 6 hours to do the job...so in two hours he would have completed the remaining 1/3... :animal_rooster:

Cheers

Alex :whistling:

And WINNER @ irongambit too! ;)

Pugwash got 2 hours (and the plums), but insolence got the better of him. :bleh:

Gary Gladhand, the politician, was very tired after a long day of campaigning. He went to bed at 10pm wound his alarm clock and set it for noon the next day. Since Gary fell asleep almost immediately, how many hours of sleep did he get before the alarm clock woke him?

Pugwash got 2 hours (and the plums), but insolence got the better of him. :bleh:

And how! :animal_rooster:

Gary Gladhand, the politician, was very tired after a long day of campaigning. He went to bed at 10pm wound his alarm clock and set it for noon the next day. Since Gary fell asleep almost immediately, how many hours of sleep did he get before the alarm clock woke him?

I'm trying to see why it's not 14 hours. Ah, because it's a wind up clock implying it'll go off every 12 hours. He'll get 2 hours sleep, the idiot. :animal_rooster::animal_rooster::animal_rooster::animal_rooster:

That´s one for dumb Germans like me... :blink:

He has 2 hours to sleep until midnight. If you have a mechanical alarm clock that must be wound, you can´t set the time to pm or am...