When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Daytona Movement Released?

Corgi

Hello and happy new year.

Somebody brought this to my attention in another thread, but I think this news is so big that it deserves a thread of its own. A short while ago on his website Perfect Clones, Joshua listed two all-black "Pro Hunter" Rolex Daytona wristwatches. The watches themselves are nothing special but what's inside could be the saving grace Daytona fans have been looking for. Just check out these specifications:

Model : PVD Black SS Case and Red Inked Bezel, Black Dial, Silver Subdials, Stick Markers on PVD Black SS Oyster Bracelet,

Movement: Asia 7750 Valjoux Working Chronograph movement Updated Decorated Insignia Rotor, 28800 bph, New Improved 29J Version

Functions:

Hours, Minutes,

Seconds : Running Secs at 6.00 subdials,

Chronograph : 3.00 subdial - minute counter, 9.00 subdials, hour counter

2.00 pusher - start/stop chrono, 4.00 pusher - reset

Dimensions : Dia 40mm x 13.5mm Thk

Material : 1 piece forged case construction, solid 316 stainless steel, Thick Black PVD Coating

Back : Close case back with Pro Hunter Serial Engraving

Crown : One-piece Screw down crown with o ring

Crystal: - Sapphire Crystal

Water-resistant

29 jewel movement? Updated?

7.jpg

Click here to go to the product page.

Obviously my questions are;

1. Has anyone heard any information regarding the reliability of this movement? While only time will tell, it would be nice to have an expert chime in on the changes which the manufacturers may have introduced.

2. How long before we see this movement in standard SS or TT models?

Best wishes

Corgi

Well since there are 11 extra gears for the moving of the subdial hands around the dial face, and each gear needs 2 jewels, adding 4 jewels leaves us with 9 gears still running on metal on metal...

Wonder which 2 gears get the new jewels...2 of the 5 in the running seconds??

I won't be holding my breath on this one, but you never know...they got the seconds at 3 right, finally a good design.

RG

I think one of the new movements (out of an IWC Portugese) has been sent to Francisco for a break down. Waiting to see that post!

Yep, mines on its way to him tomorrow, so hopefully we can get some resolve to this claim that there is a new movement.

Like The Zigmeister has mentioned, they may have improved the movement by adding extra jewels, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it is reliable, there could well be many transfer gears still running on the metal plate. Improving something as dire as the old seconds at 6 movement wouldn't be difficult, making it as reliable as the standard 7750/seconds at 3 movement would be a big leap!

Another non development touted as NEW!!! by our collector pals. They could put 107 jewels in the modded 7750 and it will still result in a too thick watch and herky jerky seconds hands. When I read corgi's title, I said to myself, "wow! they finally did it--a dedicated seconds @ 6 movement," which BTW could be used in dozens of now impossible reps (AP, BP, VC, aside from the daytona). Now a genuionely NEW!!! movement would sure be a development.

I'm frankly confused...

it says 'new updated rotor'

but its the same rotor as in my old crap seconds at 6...

or am i misunderstanding what they mean?

or, if everyone elses rotors look different, then i have one of these 'new' secs at 6 apart on my workbench right now... purchased broken... :)

Edited by roflwaffle

I'm frankly confused...

it says 'new updated rotor'

but its the same rotor as in my old crap seconds at 6...

or am i misunderstanding what they mean?

or, if everyone elses rotors look different, then i have one of these 'new' secs at 6 apart on my workbench right now... purchased broken... :)

after looking at a few of the dealers sites, it appears that if the 'updated rotor' is any indication (Ive frankly no idea if it does or not, but mine has it), then I have one of these 'new updated secs at 6' movements

I can obviously take better pics of the whole thing in a takedown guide, but

help.JPG

anyone familiar with the movement (im not familiar with the old secs at 6), does anything jump out at you?

The watch was bought busted, and when the module was removed, the watch ran fine... lol... I was reassembling it before my flight home for christmas for repair... im home now but havnt touched it since

theres 3 jewels on the top plate

and one on the other plate... so thats 4 jewels plus the 7750 which has 25, making the 29j version as stated above

is that consistent with the 'old' version?

i'm not terribly impressed with it so far.. then again, it c ould be the same as the old version... as ive said, im not famliar with it

Edited by roflwaffle

one thing i can not understnad- why not jewel each and every hole in that secs@6 module ? wouldnt that make the modded movement much much better and perhaps much more reliable ?

is that such a hard work, and long research.. to put a few more jewels in the correct places to make these gears work flawlessly ? or its just that the factories too lazy to do it (or have hounderds of 'old' movement they would like to get rid of first)

a second of thought.

db1

one thing i can not understnad- why not jewel each and every hole in that secs@6 module ? wouldnt that make the modded movement much much better and perhaps much more reliable ?

is that such a hard work, and long research.. to put a few more jewels in the correct places to make these gears work flawlessly ? or its just that the factories too lazy to do it (or have hounderds of 'old' movement they would like to get rid of first)

a second of thought.

db1

no clue mate

Alright... I'm out for the night. realize that I do not check RWG often, so if anyone is hankering for macro pics,etc.. .shoot me a PM, I have email notifcation turned on, so I'll get it... and I can take macro pics..

and then someone else who is better in the 'know' to make such calls can pass judgement on the movement..

If nobody cares, well, no worries, just trying to do my part.. lata kids

If the 3 wheels indicated have jewels below the caps above their arbors, then this is a step in the right direction (there should be jewels at the other end also)

Image1-18.jpg

Here is a 2nd gen secs at 6 A7750. As you can see, the wheels are different (the 3 main wheels simply pivoted around posts coming up from the plate (without lube or jeweling at these critical points)), but I do not see anything that tells me they have corrected (with jewels) the inherent issues

Image1-8.jpg

Here is the bare top plate from the same 2nd gen movement, which has jewels for the 3 subdial wheel pinions

top_plate.jpg

If the 3 wheels indicated have jewels below the caps above their arbors, then this is a step in the right direction (there should be jewels at the other end also)

Here is a 2nd gen secs at 6 A7750. As you can see, the wheels are different (the 3 main wheels simply pivoted around posts coming up from the plate (without lube or jeweling at these critical points)), but I do not see anything that tells me they have corrected (with jewels) the inherent issues

Here is the bare top plate from the same 2nd gen movement, which has jewels for the 3 subdial wheel pinions

nope, the three wheels you indicate do not have jewels... but the subdial wheel pinions have jewels on the top plate as per gen

the only thing they did to those 3 wheels you indicated was to 'skeletonize' the gears so they are no longer solid.. they have cutouts now

Boy these guys will stop at nothing.

An apology may be in order...

it appears the rep i have is almost a year old according to previous owner..

so, theres either 3 versions of the secs at 6 (closed gears normal rotor, open gears 'updated rotor', and 'new updated rotor uknown gears')

or, the dealers just neglected to say that the 'new' one has been around for ages...

so please take my post for what it is... a post by someone who assumed that 'updated rotor on new version' meant 'ones with updated rotor was new one'

apologies for jumping the gun...

but if the 'new one' turns out to be the same as the one i posted pics of... well.. we'll all have a good laugh over it in a few weeks..