When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do you Believe in Banging out Big Bucks for a Beautiful Box?

Spidey7

So, I'm looking around at some of the repro box sets that are available. I'm assuming that for the most part they're all made by the same company and then farmed out to the various dealers, so we won't discuss levels of quality. What I want to know is, Do many of you plunk down the extra money for a box set with papers and all? It seems like it would be a cool thing to have, but it also seems like one of those things that gets you excited for a few minutes and then goes in the back of the closet for the rest of its life. It would be one thing if they were just a few bucks, but some of these sets are around a cool C-note. So, is it worth it? Or do most just find it to be a waste of time/money? Also, does one make the paperwork that comes with it match up to the watch? Or is it all just generic stuff?

I personally do not bother with getting a box and papers. If you are like a lot of us here, you may soon find yourself with many watches in your collection and that a nice multiple watch storage box would be much more fitting to your needs. However, a lot of times, you buy a watch only to find out a month later that it is just not for you, and you sell it to someone else and having a nice box to send it in sometimes makes the deal more attractive to a potential buyer, or you keep the box to store another watch in. Giving one as a gift is always a nice reason to get a box. I guess it all depends on how you feel about throwing the cash for a box. I think most of us here wind up needing a multiple storage box (some folks need a whole cabinet), and spending the money on all those boxes is not worth it.

It's nice in the beginning for a couple nice pieces...but space constraints in my case kick in and having a stack of a dozen boxes on a dresser looks plain dumb. A big winder is more appropriate. I've seen a few members do some beautiful displays in glass cases of their pieces in the boxes with catalogues, etc...very nice...but I don't have my watches as showpieces.

Corgi, Those are beautiful. Are they yours? Since they're "useless" I'll be happy to get rid of them for you. :p

It's the same box on both pictures. Josh sells this one... I snagged it back when they were selling for $75, now they are a little more...

I'm happy with it, it's a fun thing to own, but I won't be spending any more money on boxes in the near future. We're in a recession for heaven's sakes! :p

totally agree on previous posts.... my personal history:

- after my first couple of watches I went for a 4-watches leather box to protect the pieces from dust and clutching into eachother

b48735b0.jpg

- a year later this was upgraded to a 6-piece case with display glass on top

IMG_2034.jpg

- last birthday my wife gave me a big dispay winder which winds 4 pieces simultanously and provides space for 2 or 4 additional watches

- the boxset of my GEN IWC MK XVI is also stored in the attic as it just takes up space (it looks great with the watch inside, but kinda stupid when you wear the watch; also the box needs to stay open to have the watch on display as it has no glass display; this ends up as a dust-pile after a couple of month's)

Boxes? Boxes and papers?

I started this hobby by buying a box set for each watch I got.

Genuine box sets that is.

As others said here above...I ended up selling them all.

Why bother getting a box when you know you might end with 30 watches :o

It will be soon impossible to store them.

As displaying your collection in a large cabinet so that you can admire it, it's risky.

It's the first thing thieves would take ;)

So this is my solution now...allthough a large part of the watches have been sold :)

All4Watches_18.jpg

StephaneGroupShot_800_01.jpg

Nice to see Corgi.

I have appointed a beatiful watch for my darling WITH the box-set from Joshua.

http://www.jpc8118.com/rlmpls12043-diam-bl...712-p-4101.html

http://www.jpc8118.com/rlbx10001-2006-desi...set-p-3141.html

I hope I can adapt the paper to the watch.

My first buy from a RWG-Collector.

The pictures makes me hopefull. :)

I bought it yesterday, now I will see what happens.

I

I have a coupel of boxes here both rep and a gen, I think for a watch that is as much a display piece as a wrist watch or even more so like my fiddy ( it gets very little wrist time) A nice Box makes a great place to display the watch. This box came as a gift from a great friend and person here.

DSC00882.jpg

Sorry about the photos but it was never my strong point

I have an Omega box that i bought mainly just to compare it with the gen box i have here and it makes a great storage place for my speedy

speedmasterbrandnewinbox.jpg

The box and info compares well with the gen box i would say, some differences but hey it coat a 10th of the price.

The rest of mine sit in winders that are just used as displays

Some very bad photos of 90% of my collection, the teddys were gift that i hade reciecved as gifts when i have been away, Tuff ted for example servered the whole of Gulf war 1 (desert storm and shield) so they deserve their place!

post-1258-1231071663_thumb.jpg

post-1258-1231071719_thumb.jpg

post-1258-1231071771_thumb.jpg

post-1258-1231071908_thumb.jpg

post-1258-1231071953_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I used to love them. Accuracy was less important as they were only for photo shoots. Boxes and papers to me have provided some of the best image setups that I could never have had without them - especially for more abstract type images. Some of them are not very accurate either...

FA12.jpg

Yacht19.jpg

GMT10.jpg

63pam11.jpg

Malte27.jpg

GST5.jpg

And then they are also fun for the "group" shots...

dj7.jpg

FA31.jpg

GMT11.jpg

I have a few boxes but the majority of my watches live in a generic mutli-watch box. Interestingly comparing my gen Omega red leather box with a rep one I got from Josh the rep looks pretty good until you smell it (also it is a slightly different shade of red). I have a Tag box black leather box which is a bit "so so"qualitywise and a bakerlite Breitling box which is great (it's in my avatar).

Something that has always bothered me about the marketing of replica OEM watch boxes, tags, and replica warranties is the likelihood that some people use them to resell reps as gens.

Sure, there are always scammers out there, and buyers need to be aware, whether simply buying a watch on its own or when accompanied by the "original box and warranty." The only way to confirm authenticity then is to have it physically inspected by someone knowledgeable.

I do not believe any of the established members here would do this, and I love the photograps and impressive displays people create using the rep boxes and papers.

But it basically demonstrates that even the existance of a box and papers is not a guarantee of authenticity.

As for storing watches, I started by keeping mine in a dresser drawer, then eventually sprang for a nice multi-watch display box.

So, I'm looking around at some of the repro box sets that are available. I'm assuming that for the most part they're all made by the same company and then farmed out to the various dealers, so we won't discuss levels of quality. What I want to know is, Do many of you plunk down the extra money for a box set with papers and all? It seems like it would be a cool thing to have, but it also seems like one of those things that gets you excited for a few minutes and then goes in the back of the closet for the rest of its life. It would be one thing if they were just a few bucks, but some of these sets are around a cool C-note. So, is it worth it? Or do most just find it to be a waste of time/money? Also, does one make the paperwork that comes with it match up to the watch? Or is it all just generic stuff?

I fall into the

find it to be a waste of time/money
category.

Save your money and buy yourself another good rep instead.