When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello I want to buy the best....Bla Bla Bla

Tribal

Is it just me or do you feel the same.....

A lot of new members are up on the Forum now,not a problem but most

there is no intoduction from them,they don't read the rules.....

They only want the best AAAA+ ;) watch for cheap........

Damn I hate that,why they can't take the search funktion or just read the topics...

All Information is easy to find here....

So please new Members read and learn a lot in this fantastic Forum...

Don't rty to get the best watch only to fool somebody.....

This is a fantastic hobby......

Think about it..... ;)

Is there a small document that we as members could produce to answer the basics. I know there is the information in the general area as a asticky (I think) but if this was reprdocued in a word document and automatically sent to them along with their confirmation of membership it might ensure that they get the basics before asking the questions?

Is there a small document that we as members could produce to answer the basics. I know there is the information in the general area as a asticky (I think) but if this was reprdocued in a word document and automatically sent to them along with their confirmation of membership it might ensure that they get the basics before asking the questions?

Toad's guide for newbs?

I wonder what we would see if we went back and looked at the first post of the senior members? I bet there was more of these type of posts than we would suspect.

"Hi, my name is Chicken Manny. Who makes the Best AAAA+ Swiss Made, Italian Polished, 31 jewel SUB made by retired RLX watchsmiths? I only want to hear about dealers located in my neighborhood and my budget is $150."

:D

I do agree that people are getting more and more inpatient.

Instant gratification is not an issue of generations if you ask me it's the modern times and the internet with all the search engines.

Sometimes i help "new" people out by giving them a straight answer or telling them about the search button.

And if i don't feel like helping them out i just ignore it.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Maybe the search button should be more visable on our site.

A lot of noobs are leechers and one-day-flies. They just take, take and take even more. The first post they usually make is to complain E.g. about a well respected dealer on this board, a rep which isn't truly 1:1 or a dust partical underneath the crystal....

I still think we have to limit the acces to the dealer and trade section for newbs. Best way is to require a minimum amount of posts. Sure this is no guarantee they will contribute valuable information, but they WILL engage in some conversations and learn things along the way!

I know I was also a Noob back in the years,but as i found the old RWG

I introduced myself and read a lot to learn........

that's the normal way i think......

But that's only my two cents........... ;)

That's the problem, the forum has changed from patient people looking into reps as a hobby to a much faster flowing instant source of amazing reps. It is quite sad really. There are still members joining and sticking around, but quite a few don't, or so it seems.

Shundi, yes I suppose maybe a link to Toad's tutorial page with the noobs section could be provided?

Personally i don't find those kind of questions annoying.

It s the normal thing for someone to do considering the fact

that he is new to this "hobby" or whatever we may want to call it.

What i find annoying is the insults that a new member has to go through

by some of the older members when he asks those kind of questions.

Just because he is new to this forum and has posted only 1 or 2 times

this doesn't give us the right to call him a newbie and throw it back

at his face prompting him in a bad manner to read the rules.

I dont judge a book by its cover...so i cannot judge a new member by

its first post and call him a damn newbie who doesnt know anything...

if he did he wouldn't care to ask.

Also i dont have a problem providing someone with an answer as long as i have one to give to a new

member.I btw am a new member.

If someone finds it annoying,then simply shouldnt bother to read the post in the

first place.All the posts have a title which id the main theme of them,so we can

choose what to read and what not.

I personally read all the posts which i find interesting according to my specific criteria

(mostly tech stuff)and i choose not to read something that i dont find interesting.

The public forums all over the world are based on free and open minded posting

and we are all in here to help each other,newbies or not.

Thanks for reading guys.

Personally i don't find those kind of questions annoying.

It s the normal thing for someone to do considering the fact

that he is new to this "hobby" or whatever we may want to call it.

What i find annoying is the insults that a new member has to go through

by some of the older members when he asks those kind of questions.

Just because he is new to this forum and has posted only 1 or 2 times

this doesn't give us the right to call him a newbie and throw it back

at his face prompting him in a bad manner to read the rules.

I dont judge a book by its cover...so i cannot judge a new member by

its first post and call him a damn newbie who doesnt know anything...

if he did he wouldn't care to ask.

Also i dont have a problem providing someone with an answer as long as i have one to give to a new

member.I btw am a new member.

If someone finds it annoying,then simply shouldnt bother to read the post in the

first place.All the posts have a title which id the main theme of them,so we can

choose what to read and what not.

I personally read all the posts which i find interesting according to my specific criteria

(mostly tech stuff)and i choose not to read something that i dont find interesting.

The public forums all over the world are based on free and open minded posting

and we are all in here to help each other,newbies or not.

Thanks for reading guys.

You are right......

But me bothers that they go the easy way.....

I think the most intention is to buy a good Rep and thats it....

Thats not what the forum is for......

Couldn't agree more Jmarin, but generally forum members here have all the time in the world for those who show willingness, it's those that are here and show no participation that sometimes get the blunt end of the replies.

For example

New Member #1 posts;

I have searched the Rolex forum, and found out the new Wm9 is one of the best Subs around. I am on a budget, and don't know whether I can justify spending that much when I could get a Noobmariner which seems to be cheaper, and I can't see that there are that many differences. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

New Member #2 posts;

Where can I buy the best Rolex Sub?

In the first scenario most members would agree that they have done a search and are seeking help. In the second scenario, it's pure laziness, something that we see quite a lot and it does get boring.

Couldn't agree more Jmarin, but generally forum members here have all the time in the world for those who show willingness, it's those that are here and show no participation that sometimes get the blunt end of the replies.

For example

New Member #1 posts;

I have searched the Rolex forum, and found out the new Wm9 is one of the best Subs around. I am on a budget, and don't know whether I can justify spending that much when I could get a Noobmariner which seems to be cheaper, and I can't see that there are that many differences. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

New Member #2 posts;

In the first scenario most members would agree that they have done a search and are seeking help. In the second scenario, it's pure laziness, something that we see quite a lot and it does get boring.

Point taken ;)

I agree that a lot of ppl are way to lazy to bother to search and they want their food ready and served.

I on the other hand found this forum late and i am mad at my self cause i learned about the reps through

paying trial and error,if i may pUt it this way.For my first replicas i overpaid up to 650$ just because i thought

i was going to get a top of the notch-near gen high end watch!!!

But as i already said now i know better and i am searching constantly for the best info in here and RG

And i got to say that in here i have found information that i still can't believe it could ever exist.

And thanks to you guys those first 650 $ watches are now a part of my watch repairing-mod training

equipment!!!since they are not good for anything else!!! :p

Cheers :D

Point taken ;)

I agree that a lot of ppl are way to lazy to bother to search and they want their food ready and served.

I on the other hand found this forum late and i am mad at my self cause i learned about the reps through

paying trial and error,if i may pUt it this way.For my first replicas i overpaid up to 650$ just because i thought

i was going to get a top of the notch-near gen high end watch!!!

But as i already said now i know better and i am searching constantly for the best info in here and RG

And i got to say that in here i have found information that i still can't believe it could ever exist.

And thanks to you guys those first 650 $ watches are now a part of my watch repairing-mod training

equipment!!!since they are not good for anything else!!! :p

Cheers :D

this is what I mean....

Most of the members go the hard way and bought a overpriced "super Rep" in the past

thats Live.....

But after you found the forum you read and learn a lot and this is the right way in my opinion :)

Discussing things,talk to other member, show your watches , make new friends etc...

This is for what a forum is....... ;)

I am new to this site and to the hobby and I think the biggest issue for newbies is not knowing which questions to ask. I asked some fairly stupid questions right at the beginning and I was pointed in the right direction.

As a result of the positive support I decided to show my gratitude by becoming a Supporter of this Forum. I have spent most of my time reading and practically no time since the very beginning either asking questions or contributing to the discussions. I don't know very much about rep collecting and felt it better to keep silent until such time as i had something useful to contribute.

'Better to keep silent and let people think you are a fool that to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'

I think for those who choose to insult newbies I think it is more a reflection on them than the newbies themselves. Everyone needs a helping hand at some point and this Forum is no exception. If you provide the support (by pointing people in the right direction rather than necessarily answering the question) then the benefits will follow; take my example - I am now a supporter.

So, welcome the newbies, give them some help and remember, (I think Donald Rumsfeld said it best) 'they don't know what they don't know'

I am new to this site and to the hobby and I think the biggest issue for newbies is not knowing which questions to ask. I asked some fairly stupid questions right at the beginning and I was pointed in the right direction.

As a result of the positive support I decided to show my gratitude by becoming a Supporter of this Forum. I have spent most of my time reading and practically no time since the very beginning either asking questions or contributing to the discussions. I don't know very much about rep collecting and felt it better to keep silent until such time as i had something useful to contribute.

'Better to keep silent and let people think you are a fool that to open your mouth and remove all doubt.'

I think for those who choose to insult newbies I think it is more a reflection on them than the newbies themselves. Everyone needs a helping hand at some point and this Forum is no exception. If you provide the support (by pointing people in the right direction rather than necessarily answering the question) then the benefits will follow; take my example - I am now a supporter.

So, welcome the newbies, give them some help and remember, (I think Donald Rumsfeld said it best) 'they don't know what they don't know'

Agreed

My message folder is full of questions from new members and I try to help and guide them in the right direction...

Thats not the problem...... ;)

RWG is a bit daunting for a 1st-timer. There is alot of info to take in, many forums from which to get it from &, in my opinion, too many pinned articles (making them more noise than clarification for an already overwhelmed newbie). But what gets my goat are newbies who not only ask the same "Where can I get the best....." questions, but feel the need to PM these questions to members (like me) & expecting to receive a personal buying service, often for watches that the member may know little or nothing about (which the newbie is not aware of because he has not been around long enough to find out).

But I think this would remedy most of the problems - Require all new members to read a single document containing no more than 7 items that explains (generally) what NOT to ask, where to find basic/frequently asked answers & Da rules (which, if it were not buried 3 layers deep in the Wiki (the last place I would ever look for them), might help).

As an extreme newb myself; I'd just like to say to the 'vets' of the board - allow us 'noobs' some leeway! This is an extremely difficult topic to learn about and I have spent about 9 hours the past week in total reading thread after thread [since one thread always links to another - its like wikipedia!] about all sorts, at this point what possible great contribution could I make?

Having access to the trade section is one of the main ways I am learning about this wonderful hobby and art. There are many many many guides around for newbs already on the board - it is a hell of alot of information to take in, particularly if you don't own any gens or know much about the Rolex range, let alone the rep rolex range.

edit: Freddy - you put it perfectly. Noise.

Edited by ammandel

I think TT's saying sums it up perfectly;

'Where people gather life happens'

I love this place for all the interaction. I don't see a real divide between noobs and vets. I've only been on the forums for just over two years, and still consider myself a noob. I'm learning all of the time from members here.

I apply my JKD principles to hobbies like this, you're never a novice, and you're never an expert, you're always on that journey to understand more about your hobby and get rid of the information that you consider irrelevant. It is this journey to seek out our own goals that brings enjoyment and friendship with other members. If someones goal can be achieved by merely purchasing a super rep, well then that member misses out on the journey that can be had in searching and researching both through members first hand knowledge, and archived posts.

New members here asking questions is certainly not a problem. In fact a new pair of eyes on a situation helps long term members here see things a different way, and the questions help remind us where we all started off. It's the quick bang for a buck, and the questions which show no prior input that I feel is at the heart fo the problem. Like Tribal has said, this is a forum for interaction.

For example

New Member #1 posts;

New Member #2 posts;

Very well said!

New members here asking questions is certainly not a problem. In fact a new pair of eyes on a situation helps long term members here see things a different way, and the questions help remind us where we all started off. It's the quick bang for a buck, and the questions which show no prior input that I feel is at the heart fo the problem. Like Tribal has said, this is a forum for interaction.

I can't say it better.... ;)

Sorry english is not my native Language....