When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you guys resist purchasing watches?

DemonSlayer

I don't think a shred of self-discipline exists in me at this point in time :huh: Lately I've been finding it extremely difficult resisting purchasing reps. The crazy thing is, I don't have much disposable income. All my reps are basically funded with student loan money. It wasn't this bad a few months ago, but lately all I've been doing is browsing the forums in the spare time I have (pretty much all day) and looking at pictures and info of reps I don't have at the moment, and then thinking of buying them to see how it looks on me.

Most members here and on the other boards fund this hobby with full time jobs, and therefore have adequate amounts of money to buy pretty much the reps they want. I on the other hand can't really justify the (little) amount of money I have in reps at the moment. I keep telling myself "Keep this watch, when you get a job in the near future, you'll get all the money back you have in them).

For instance, my justification for keeping a TW best Pearlmaster is that these are rare and so well made, and therefore worth hanging onto. I want to get the SOH because I've read that a lot of people find it a very nice watch and it gets lots of compliments. I'll get another watch because it was featured heavily in a movie and therefore it's relatively known... :rolleyes:

I think this hobby is leading me to dangerous territory :lol: If I don't do something soon, I will have no money left and my studies will be jeapordised... I seriously need to cut down the amount of time I spend on these forums and browse watch forums and other watch related info.

Is there anyone else here who is finding it really difficult to resist such things? Anyone have any good tips to resist buying reps?

All input is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get married....:)

your time ( and money) will no longer be your own

Have children!! Childcare costs could buy me a handful of gen PAMs every year or maybe a gen 1655 AND a PAM...or maybe a VC Tourby every few years!!!

Yowzaa!!

I rationalize it that I can't buy another one until I can rationalize the utility in doing so...maybe that's writing a good post on the watch (in other words it has to have some significance either to me or the history or function of watches)...or if I have a good photo I want to do. It can't just be a nice looking piece I want in the stable...it has to be more than that!!

Hehe, it looks like you are in the same position as me. I'm also a student and I'm not able to spent a lot to replicas, but as soon as I jump on the fora, I see different watches, read about them and then start to think "I've got to get it!", but damn, I need an income!

"Keep this watch, when you get a job in the near future, you'll get all the money back you have in them)." This sentence is very popular in my head too... But it just doesn't work! :-)

Have children!! Childcare costs could buy me a handful of gen PAMs every year or maybe a gen 1655 AND a PAM...or maybe a VC Tourby every few years!!!

Yowzaa!!

I rationalize it that I can't buy another one until I can rationalize the utility in doing so...maybe that's writing a good post on the watch (in other words it has to have some significance either to me or the history or function of watches)...or if I have a good photo I want to do. It can't just be a nice looking piece I want in the stable...it has to be more than that!!

I completely understand your points. I think the main problem with the rep obsession is that theres so many well made reps now, that in your mind you think it's crazy not to buy them, as they're a great "bargain". Even after you know the massive mark ups on these watches. As you said Toad, it makes more sense in getting a watch that means something to you, and not simply because it looks good and is so well made.

Hehe, it looks like you are in the same position as me. I'm also a student and I'm not able to spent a lot to replicas, but as soon as I jump on the fora, I see different watches, read about them and then start to think "I've got to get it!", but damn, I need an income!

"Keep this watch, when you get a job in the near future, you'll get all the money back you have in them)." This sentence is very popular in my head too... But it just doesn't work! :-)

:D it's comforting to know that there's someone else in a similar position as me! It's not fair when all these amazing reps come out, and most people here have the money to buy them without any issues. What can be considered a significant amount of money to one person, is pocket change to another...

How many reps are you at now Edge?

Or,

You can sell one you dont like and replace it with whatever you do like at the moment.

-H

I am currently doing that but the problem is that I am buying more than I am selling :lol: I need to slow down the buying rate, but finding that extremely difficult to do.

I just stopped buying reps due to the over pricing 5-6months ago.easy.

This days i mod my watches that is a costly thing and time consuming waiting on slots at modders,on parts and such.

Cheers

Dani I have to congratulate you on your extreme self-discipline :lol: I know these things are hugely overpriced, but at the same time they are really well made and cost a fraction of their genuine counterparts. I also hope that one day I will be in your position where I am satisfied with just a few, and I can live with these for the rest of my life.

The members RobbieG and b16a2 spring to mind when I think if 'downsizing' the collection. I have to give it to hand it to them, I don't know how they resist. Isn't it weird in that most of us think rationally when it comes to everyday life, but then most of us have that achilles heel where rationality doesn't seem to work :lol:

i can definitely sympathize. i have a job and earn a decent living. yet i have accummulated

over 50 watches both gen & reps! i have thought to stop buying because i'm getting abit fed up with the QC issues lately.

yet i keep going- also i have all 3 boards open on my computer, checking posts, etc.

we may be candidates for an INTERVENTION

Wear a watch that you haven't worn in a while. Or buy a strap for a watch you haven't touched in a while. Sometimes that helps. It's a tough addiction man. There are ways to get around it though. Organize you watches, create a log for those you've owned and sold so you can track your collection, or start doing photography, taking pics of your watches. You'll find that you can consume your time with the pieces you already have if you get creative enough.

Chop off your arms.

...no, seriously.

Kidding...what Stephane said makes a lot of sense though...once you understand how much money you've spent.... you'll think!

The other thing you can consider doing is asking your parents to hold on to the bulk of your cash and only transfer 200-500 bucks a month to you for your non-scholastic expenses... you'll learn to budget quickly! Either that or try to pick up some sort of workstudy/ part time job and set up a budget... Sock away 100-175 a month for reps and buy a new one every three months. Sell one on every fourth month... might be able to keep a "rolling" collection (I personally cap my new purchases at a certain percent of my yearly income and only about 15% of that amount of that is kept in reps... by doing that, I grow my gen and rep collection year after year and easily limit my spending... It also allows me to do a TON of research and really figure out which watches I "need" vs just want because they're shiny...

I have gens and reps and suffered from a similar addiction. Then I realized that with all of the watches that I have and have had I was only wearing one or two of them. I have also found that just because I like a watch in a picture doesn't mean I will like it on my wrist.

Dump your internet connection - it simply costs money - seeing all this stuff you think you want to buy!

Just think about it - No more provider fees, NO more "junk" emails, no more temptation, no more eye strain and bad back & posture....the benefits are amazing!

Get a real life, life..........speak to people, real people, face to face, like we used to do......... :D