When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Calling for a new 29j Portuguese to be analyzed

Francisco

I personally don't believe there is anything "new" at all...still the same old A7750 we have seen for years...

In other words, you didn't get the wrong movement, because there is no new movement available.

RG

The seller admitted that Josh movement are slightly modified, after contacting the factories, because the member complained as the movement was the old one. Although the seller thinks that the difference is not relevant (after the explanation from the factories).

So, if there is improvement or not, I am offering graphite treatment for free…

Francisco.

Just to clarify the point made above;

I contacted the seller, who confirmed this is the same model being sold by Joshua. The only difference between this 'new version' and the old one is that some parts were sandblasted, the movement itself is the same.

Hopefully if we can get a watch from Joshua/Andrew it will confirm this, if not, Il try and get a replacement sent out...I must say I'm very cynical about these new movement claims.

Thank you Francisco for your support and service, the watch arrived back in the UK today, very quick shipping!

Im confused, did the seller say he thinks the new improvement is not of any relevance? in terms of being better?

Yes. Therefore, we are like at the beginnig. Who is saying the true?

The only way to knw the true is to open the watch and to analyze the mechanism.

BTW, I bought a Daytona from Josh. In this case, no doubt, he confirmed me that old stock was sold out and that I will receive the new version. It is coming.

Francisco.

• 3 weeks later...

Got one ordered 1 week ago as new improved 29j version from Andrew.

I live in France, so if it stands still, would be pleased to send the watch to Francisco.

But, the watch is a bit low about power reserve, just wonder if it has the new mechanism to be honest.

Please PM me

I personally don't believe there is anything "new" at all...still the same old A7750 we have seen for years...

In other words, you didn't get the wrong movement, because there is no new movement available.

RG

I'm with The Zigmeister on this one. The following is a quote from one of our dealers. One whose words can be trusted. His comment on the sec@6:

I'm not sure about the latest Daytona at 6, what I did hear was that the factory of the IWC didn't really mention much of an improvement so it could have been hyped up by you know who....

"the factory of the IWC didn't really mention much of an improvement" there you go, sounds like the Portuguese MVT hasn't changed much if any.And that's from someone who gets to talk to the makers.

Col.

who knows... I have no opinion of 29j watch until I open it....

For me Portuguese is one of the most beatiful watches... my interest is to see if finally a better movement is avalaible...

Francisco.

I think it will be of the same quality of the new 'improved' Daytona seconds @ 6 that you reviewed. I have 2 of the new Portuguese. Both have problems already. I let my watch smith remove a gear and freeze the seconds.

I think it will be of the same quality of the new 'improved' Daytona seconds @ 6 that you reviewed. I have 2 of the new Portuguese. Both have problems already. I let my watch smith remove a gear and freeze the seconds.

This is really amazing. Sorry for that :o

Yes, I guess new Portuguese movement is the same as previous one. However, I want to have a look...

Francisco.

This is really amazing. Sorry for that :o

Yes, I guess new Portuguese movement is the same as previous one. However, I want to have a look...

Francisco.

Nope, I am not amazed...

According to my watch smith with every extra small wheel, around 10% of power is lost due to extra friction.

Some nice detail...:

My watch smith worked on a genuine Portuguese Chrono some weeks ago. He told me that the genuine has a somewhat similar modification. But then jeweled of course. But the most important thing, the genuine has A LOT MORE POWERFUL BALANCE (WHEEL/c.o.c.k. dunno) than the standard ETA, for the purpose of pulling those extra wheels.

so for our Chinese friends at the rep factory, they should jewel the thing and use a more powerful balance. but my guess: Never going to happen... :(

Edited by hooky