When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gold UN just released;

b16a2

You know, if the dealers would just learn how to take proper photos they'd probably sell more watches. The pics on the website of all the UN's look terrible. I was going to pass until I saw Lanakai's photo review. The pic of the gold plated on the website also looks terrible, but given the look of Lanakai's review I suspect it'll probably look much closer to the gen posted above. I was really hoping for a gold plated, silver dial version, but for some strange reason they've come out with a white dial instead of silver. I'll definately go for a UN, but I'll have to wait for a photo review of this black faced gold version before I decide between it or the red / black bezel ss version.

this is supposed to be YG right not RG?

No. That is just it Pho. The gen is RG believe it or not. But their RG alloy mix makes for a color that is much closer to yellow gold than rose gold - hence why I sent the gen of this back. Yellow gold looks terribel with my blondish type skin tone. It is REALLY yellow/greenish in person and will only fade to something worse over time (the gen I mean). The rep plating is much more rosey colored than the gen and while not so accurate is much more pleasing to me. Looks more like Hublot or Rolex Everrose which is more pink than not...

Awful watch, $400 or $44,000, no way.

In your opinion, you mean to say I'm sure?

I'm betting there is a watch or two that you might have, that members here who bought the UN Diver Chrono might not like as well. And I'm betting that they might resist saying anything so short, negative and subjectively unqualified about it in a thread about that watch, since no good can really come out of insulting whatever it is that you like - just as no good can come out of you insulting what they like... ;)

How about this instead:

"I really don't like this design so much, as compared to some of the other UN diver watches."

or

"I don't like the look of the rose gold on this one, but it looks like they did a good job with the replication."

or

"I think I'll pass on this one as the $400 price tag is a bit steep. If it were under $300, I'd consider getting it but not in gold - only steel."

or

"My Mom told me that if I didn't have anything nice to say, I shouldn't say anything at all..."

Signed,

Your Conscience :D

I think the problem with the color of the gold is really down to the marketing. What is now commonly referred to as rose gold used to be referred to as pink gold. What was commonly referred to as rose gold (before the casual bandying about of the term to include the old pink gold) was really much closer to yellow gold in color. UN's actual color is rose gold, it's just that you are used to seeing other manufacturers use the term rose gold when pink gold is more technically appropriate. The term has now become virtually meaningless since it's unclear exactly what shade of gold you are referring to.

Yup - all about the copper % really. And you are 100% right about that IM. Many people don't know actually that historically, rose gold was kind of the original gold watch and was much closer to yellow gold which Rolex actually made popular. Then, in order to differentiate, since YG and RG were similar, some brands started doing the other mix and calling it pink gold. There was even yet another mix which I believe had less nickel in it to darken it up that was called red gold for a time as well...

Yup - all about the copper % really. And you are 100% right about that IM. Many people don't know actually that historically, rose gold was kind of the original gold watch and was much closer to yellow gold which Rolex actually made popular. Then, in order to differentiate, since YG and RG were similar, some brands started doing the other mix and calling it pink gold. There was even yet another mix which I believe had less nickel in it to darken it up that was called red gold for a time as well...

don't be such a hater

just don't buy it.

i'll make a note not to get it for you for christmas

Pho you can forward it to me instead :)

The white and gold version on Joshes site.....does that have black details on the dial, or are they blue, or is it the effect of the AR that makes them look blue?

http://www.jpc8118.com/000000000un10005-ma...800-p-5654.html

The white and gold version on Joshes site.....does that have black details on the dial, or are they blue, or is it the effect of the AR that makes them look blue?

its a good question, i have been wondering that myself. I'm getting the black dial one though cause i have looked at those black and gold GMT or sub's and just have never pulled the trigger so this is perfect.

Hopefully it wont be to gold.

its a good question, i have been wondering that myself. I'm getting the black dial one though cause i have looked at those black and gold GMT or sub's and just have never pulled the trigger so this is perfect.

Hopefully it wont be to gold.

Yeh the gold suits the black much more, whereas I find myself prefering the stainless case on the white dial version. Looking forward to seeing the pics!

It shouldn't be a white dial. The other dial on the gold versions is silver and has black, not blue indices. I believe the indices on the rep are correctly black, but from both pics and handling the gen, the dial color is WAY off. Looks really bad to me. This pic still doesn't do it justice, but the gen is VERY silver and not whitish at all...

8006-102-3a-91n_main.jpg

FYI guys, I don't know if it has been discussed specifically, but same deal on the steel version. It has blue indices, but most importantly the strap is blue and again, the dial is WAY silver and whatever that whitish silver they are doing is pretty off. Pho's/Lani's Blk/Red SS version is I'm afraid the only one to have. The black and gold is probably OK, but you have to live with the rotor being wrong and the gold color being a bit different...

8003-102-3-91bl_main.jpg

I have provided the feedback to Josh that in the Gold UN, the screws in the strap mid-links need to be black. Hopefully they will correct this soon as it's not very difficult to achieve.

Good.

Have you said him that the rotor is very off?

That's more important, IMO.

Francisco.

Good.

Have you said him that the rotor is very off?

That's more important, IMO.

Francisco.

Didn't even bother with that :p

I don't they are going to make a gen-like rotor based on our feedback.....probably milk the sales first....then see after 3-6 months....come up with a V2 and get more sales :p

Didn't even bother with that :p

I don't they are going to make a gen-like rotor based on our feedback.....probably milk the sales first....then see after 3-6 months....come up with a V2 and get more sales :p

I would buy it if the rotor was better. I cannot mod it... too wrong.

Francisco.

Robbie, your totally right on the 200m and being obscured by the date mag

- now you have ruined it for me!!!!!

JK STILL LOVE IT :)

Sorry Pho. Maybe V2 will fix it. EVERYONE TELL YOUR DEALERS ABOUT THIS!!!

The movement causes the date window to be higher than on the gen. The dial font placement is 1:1 but they overlooked that the higher date window would cause the mag to partially obscure the red "200M" font printing. And so it does.

So if they do a v2 dial they just need to adjust the CNC to pinty it a hair higher closer to the center post. Techically the placement will be incorrect but unlike now you would never notice it then...

It is always something, but then that is part of the fun I suppose. :D