When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Starting Five

RobbieG

I just came from Bytor's update and figured I needed to update my Starting Five now that I finally shot the UN Dual Time. This is it. All I have. The rest are gone. I wanted to carefully plan my collection so that one day when I stood in front of my watchbox I would literally be at a loss of what to wear because I couldn't live without any of them. Over a period of 6 months I slowly sold a collection of gens and reps that was probably 30 pieces or so. With each sale I had given a lot of thought to what categories I would have in my collection and I wanted to get to the point where I had one favorite watch which fills each category. I made pact that if I ever had a bigger collection it would be because I felt the need to add a category and not because I duplicated one I already had. In other words, if I decide that I like a certain watch better than what I have in a category, I will sell that one and fill the spot with the new one - but not have both. The reason for this is simple: When you see the categories I have it makes little sense to have more than one of each as the occasion to wear will dictate an easy choice most always and more would just create confusion. So what categories? Here they are:

1. I knew I needed a black bezel/black dial sports watch. Right now I love the Omega Planet Ocean 42MM more than anything else. The AR, lume, and versatilty of the watch looking great on steel, rubber, or croc to me makes it far more diverse than a Sub. This category is most likey worn with casual clothes, shorts, T's, etc. Great for beach days, outdoor activities, sports, bike riding and the like - especially on rubber.

2. I knew I needed a more blingy sports watch with a lighter colored dial with a bracelet with brushed and polished surfaces. Originally, this category was filled by a Yachtmaster, but I fell in love with the Ulysse Nardin Maxi Marine Diver which has a similar look except more interesting. This category is most likely worn when going out for dinner or a show or maybe shopping with the girl at our favorite higher end mall where my favorite AD is. A little more dressy than the previous category but it goes with everything.

3. I knew I needed a great travel watch. I wanted to find one watch I could take on the road for up to two weeks and never feel like I had to take others with me (yeah, I still take one other usually but hey). I wanted it to have a great GMT complication that was easy to use and that wears well with everything from shorts to jeans to a jacket and sleeves. I found it with the UN Dual Time 42MM. Nuf said.

4. I knew I needed a smaller braceleted dress watch that would also work with any long sleeve attire, including jeans and a long sleeve pullover for added versatility. I have always had a Rolex Datejust of some kind and still do. Right now it is an Oyster bracelet and domed bezel. This category is most likely worn while working - client meetings and lunches. Usually with dress shirts, especially with french cuffs. Looks like a million dollars with anything though. Small is cool. Less is more. Gets more attention than any other watch still to this day. I might also mention that I have my eye on upgrading to a DD. When I do, the current DJ will be sold and the new one would just take its place in keeping with the collection plan.

5. I knew I needed at least one chronograph and the IWC Aquatimer Chronograph design is my favorite sports chrono at the moment (VC Malte Chrono is my favorite dress chrono!). The design of the bracelet and the internal bezel to me is just the coolest around. I also wanted at least one Ti watch and IMO nobody executes Ti like IWC. This watch is most likely worn whenever and whereever. Surprisingly, despite the interesting colors it is the most versatile watch I own. It goes with everything and the lightness of the Ti makes it the second most comfortable next to the DJ. It workds great with shorts, with jeans, pretty much everything except a suit. For comfort reasons I used to wear it for travel before I got the UN GMT. It worked great for that as again, it goes with everything really. Plus I use it around the house and office in case I ever need to precision time anything.

So that is it. It was fun sharing that and I always wonder what the rest of the members think about when building a collection. Such a personal thing and everyones choices are different and interesting.

So what is next? I really can think of only one thing which will become a permanent category soon and that is that I need one really nice strapped dress watch with a simple design. It will either be a Patek Calatrava or a Vacheron Patrimony Traditionelle. That much I know for sure right now. I just have to decide and when the time is right that will complete the final 6 piece collection. But until then, may I present The Starting Five. If they change I'll let you know, but I doubt much will and if so it will happen very slowly. It took me 20 years to figure out what my watch collection would look like and I'm happy the way it is. Maybe in the future if I ever get rich I'll play with some higher complications, but I suspect the everyday watch collection will always be pretty close to what this is today, a few substitutions now and then aside to combat boredom. Enjoy...

As always, the complete current collection and individual photos is here in my regular collection thread: http://www.rwg.cc/members/RobbieG-s-Collection-t85202.html

UNgmt14.jpg

PS: We have discussed it briefly elsewhere but I would love to hear from some of you how you decide what is going to make up your collections. I realize that sometimes with reps since they are inexpensive you can just buy on whims and get whatever comes out that is cool, but I know eventually everyone tires of it. There is kind of a rep process that we all go through of insanity followed by some method to the madness. Just curious if anyone else is trying to limit and focus and of those who still build bigger collections what motivates you other than impulse...

Yeah, I gathered that. A real UN fan. I have been one since the mid 90's and I'm not surprised there are plenty others here. But I must confess, I was always hoping they would be repped just so I could see how the people here liked them. Un fortunately, the first rep is kind of a controversial one so it isn't the best guage yet. Once they do the MMD I think we will see those really catch on big if they do it right.

So, what is the goal of your collection MM - current and future?

It's threads like this which made me stop loving all my watches, and only focus on a very select few :lol:

Right now, I've got a 004 with a dead movement, which was a birthday present the birthday before last, and even though it's not getting any wrist time, it's going no-where :lol: I've also got two SMPs (2531.80 and 2220.80) and my 45mm Planet Ocean. The 2531.80 and Planet Ocean were bought with inheritance money, so again, they're going no-where :lol: I've then got my two cobbled together Submariners. One is a work in progress, the other, I'm happy with 'as is', and has become my permanant beater. When I say I'm happy with it 'as is', that's not quite accurate. The watch is acceptable to me, but there are tweaks I would continue to make to it, and, by the time I get the parts to perform those tweaks, and the modifications it would involve (including a movement transplant) it would make more sense, and be easier to simply build 'V2.0', and have an improved version, rather than 'patch' this one :) (or replace so many parts, it would ultimately be a different watch anyway :lol: )

That said, I have got plans to re-build my collection when finances allow, but I'm going to be much more selective this time round, and most likely with different watches than before... Afterall, if I loved them that much, and they were that perfect for me, I wouldn't've considered selling them (even though circumstances forced me to sell them, I was considering selling them quite a while before I actually had to sell them... )

Uh...the date is probably set to last time it was worn or set to something I like the look of in a pic and time can be reset sometimes to keep hand out of the way of certain dial areas for photos if I happen to be shooting them as well. I also don't believe in auto winders. They ruin all the fun of manually setting your watch when you decide what to wear in the morning - and then again in the afternoon...

Very nice set Robbie...

...I'm wondering though if you actually use them to tell time...

...5 awesome watches all set to different times, and even different dates!! ;)

Uh...the date is probably set to last time it was worn or set to something I like the look of in a pic and time can be reset sometimes to keep hand out of the way of certain dial areas for photos if I happen to be shooting them as well. I also don't believe in auto winders. They ruin all the fun of manually setting your watch when you decide what to wear in the morning - and then again in the afternoon...

Yeah...I know...I was just kiddin'. It IS a nice pic!

post-22-1233242371_thumb.jpgpost-22-1233242249_thumb.jpgpost-22-1233242207_thumb.jpgpost-22-1233242133_thumb.jpgpost-22-1233242111_thumb.jpg

All reps. 4 of the 5 Ziggified. The PP's are my favorites, but the 3717, the Heritage and the 6265

see a fair amount of wrist time. Owning over 20 watches has been a fun ride to discover what really works best for me. The 5 I show here are the pick of the litter. Only watch I am looking forward to purchasing one day is the Fifty Fathoms, other than that I am pretty much done.

I assume you have sold all the others that are wasting space?

Haven't sold many, I still love my 3 Pams, my other 5 rolli's, 4 Omega's, Cartier Tank,

my Casablanca.... still love them all...just never wear them...(much).

I have turned pretty much into a Diver kinda guy.

I currently own 5 Divers with rubber straps. Pam 112, Sieko Black Monster, Omega Seamaster 300 (black dial), BSOH Heritage, and my favorite these days...the PP Aquanaut 5167. I LOVE all these watches, and have no plans to sell any of them.

Every once and awhile I pull out my 20 count watch case, and just 'look' at all of them. It would be nice if they were all gen, etc., but I don't really care all that much whether they are fake or real...to me they are just beautiful. If I had the money to buy the 20+ gens of the rep models I own, I would have beeen way discouraged with a lot of my original purchases. It took me 25 or 30 tries at buying reps to figure out what it was I liked. And it turns out my favorite watch of all times is the Nautilus.

Pretty much perfect design IMO. Even if I could afford x20 5000.00 watches, I would probably not ever spend 25,000.00 to 35,000.00 for a gen PP Nautilus. With my MBK Nautilus I am quite happy to wear it pretty much on all occasions, quite happily even though the MBKN isn't even CLOSE to the gen. Still one of the best reps ever made. Glad to own it.

My top five in my estimation are all classic watches.

Of my other rolli's for instance, I have a SM Daytona, a really nicely modded sub, a classic TW case/dial Explorer I, etc., but although I don't ever wear them, I will probably not ever sell them.

Maybe I'll just give them away as party favors one day.