When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water

freddy333

Here is a 7828 from a very reputable & long-time Rolex seller (I believe he even co-wrote a series of well respected Rolex price guides some years back, so he ought to know) with all of the usually tell-tale signs of a franken-Tudor - ETA movement, the wrong crown, odd caseback, aftermarket strap &, most importantly, dial reads 'SWISS - T < 25' at 6, which I had come to believe was the final arbiter in deciding a Tudor Sub's authenticity

51683ebay.jpg

So maybe our 7016s are gen

tudor7016autumn20081.jpg

tudor70160081.jpg

2482 movement seems OK, CRS on the caseback- I've never seen that on a Tudor, only on the 6238 and Daytonas. And that crown sure looks terrible. The T<25 dial just means 1965 or after to me. But the frankens are getting so good these days, maybe even the experts can be fooled.

I've just had a call from my local Rolex service centre to say that the new insert for the bezel of mine has arrived. I have to bring it in to have the insert fitted and I have arranged that they wil fit it 'while I wait'. Interesting to see whether they fit it or chase me. I called in to the AD/ service centre and asked them to order the insert for me - I didn't have my watch with me.

I believe the time is near when some of the "better" replicas will fool many of, if not most of the pot bellied old timer "experts" in the used watch business.

Questionable "tooters" seem to be showing up more and more and to tell the truth, I doubt I could spot many of them if they were aged to look 20 years old instead of appearing to be brand new.

I have seen three 34mm tooter replicas in the past few weeks...one Ranger and two with "California" dials. One (the Ranger) had what looked like a genuine Eta movement from a tooter but the other two had etaclones with Eta/tooter markings. The two Cali dial watches had the same serial numbers.

They all looked brand new. The owner of the Ranger was not happy at all when we told him it was a replica because he paid over $700 for it.

It's not funny (to me anyway) looking back at all tooters I passed on for a few hundred bucks...snowflake subs etc. The last one a blue snowflake for $400 a few short years back.

100% hindsight.

Here's a 7928 with a 390 movt- 'Swiss' dial, III64 on the inside of the caseback, and an early Rolex triplock crown- oops, make that twinlock...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLEX-TUDOR-SUBMARINER...%3A3%7C294%3A50

certainly looks more correct to me

Edit: Oops, refinished dial- didn't read everything- a bit overpriced IMO. But parts of the watch do look better.

"Fake all over. No such thing as a 7928 with an ETA mvt."

I looked it up in an "official" rolex parts list...

7928 uses 12.5" 390 tudor movement aka FEF 390

This is the only movement listed for the 7928 case reference number.

Here is another guy with 7928 problems...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=134141

Good pics of a 7928 with a 390...

http://www.yorktime.com/search?cid=5:sku=193

anyone notice two different snowflakes (snowfakes?) up on the various sales forums going for 1600 (usd)....I know the market is bad but that is way below what they'e been going for.

I'm not saying they are fake or frankens but seems like the franken market might be hurting the sale of these.