When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fake discussion at timezone

iceberg1459

I liked this comment from http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...ev=&reveal=

"...I scared the pants off myself when I saw the fakes out there. I finally pulled the trigger on an ROO Safari from a reputable dealer and then started to look on line. If I had not purchased from a known entity, I probably would have opened the thing myself to just to be comfortable. The fakes are unbelievable. Straps, boxes, papers and holograms are all available on line.

A local AD told me the only way they were able to identify a fake rolex was through a typo on the back of the case. He also told me about an AP from someone witha very large collection that turned out to be fake. They only found out when they sent it to AP for repairs.

Some watch "replica" sites review replicas, like the Graham Swordfish, where the replica is better made than the real one, and indistinguishable. Other sites are showing Panerais with swan neck features in the movements and improved crystals that make it impossible to tell it is a fake. "Patek" Aquanauts and Nautilus look identical to the real thing.

I can't imagine buying from a private seller anymore. Even if they have a great reputation, how do you know the guy who sold it to them didn't rip them off?

Scary world out there. . . . . . "

So is the Graham Swordfish Rep "better" than the real one?? Really?

I havent looked so much into the Graham reps since I thought they were too bulky IMHO, but maybe I should...maybe I should...

I actually saw one gen Graham model displayed at an AD when I was in CA recently, at the Santana Row near San Jose and it was quite expensive...so I rather have a rep of it...

Any Graham fans on the board?? Gimme some suggestion what models are cool and which are not...

*LoL*

/me silently thanks TZ poster for the heads up and seriously considers adding swordfish to short list.

Actualy, this could be bad, real bad. The're starting to realise just how good reps are now. Not so shure live links to TZ etc are a very good idea anymore either. Perhaps a "annonto" setup like RWI's may be a good idea?

Col.

Well thank god the TZ folks still haven't caught on that we had figured out the recessed cannon pin 3+ years ago and started installing H3 pins on our PAM's...according to that one poster, that's the way to spot a fake PAM. :)

The less they know, the better as far as I am concerned, although many probably are reading this right now and members of this forum, but lets not mention that on TZ...it would not be acceptable.

RG

I am making a broad generalization, but often times the people on gen forums know jack [censored] about watches. They don't realize that a Breitling Navitimer and a Tag Link have the same movement, that ETA makes them, and that ETA is a Swatch company. They bought something and don't realize that it is probably 80% identical to another watch someone else has and yet they still get in brand pissing matches.

funny thing nobody noticed the wrong cyclops and dw...these are the biggest flaws of APROOs.

good :)

Good indeed!

And let's keep it that way.

One of the great things about RWG and similar places, is the amount of info available.

However, it is only available to the dedicated researcher, and in doing so, each one learns a little more about this hobby and watches in general.

I recall some years back, someone floated an idea (either here or elsewhere,) of producing a list of "Tells"

Apart from the massive task of actually producing an accurate list of all models, and the various versions from different sources, then the ongoing job of keeping it updated, would have required almost full time commitment.

The down side, if it ever had been undertaken, would have been an instant copy & paste, for all the lazy WIS, who only want to decry reps in the 1st instance.

So it never proceeded, (thankfully), although I believe it would have been of limited use/value.

Better these things remain, "our little secret"

Offshore

Well thank god the TZ folks still haven't caught on that we had figured out the recessed cannon pin 3+ years ago and started installing H3 pins on our PAM's...according to that one poster, that's the way to spot a fake PAM. :)

The less they know, the better as far as I am concerned, although many probably are reading this right now and members of this forum, but lets not mention that on TZ...it would not be acceptable.

RG

...or the discussion on the two variations of the number "6" on the ceramic (bezel of) GMT II ..That discussion was insane :)

I had posted some months ago another thread on timezon (i think): There was a member over there saying something like that: "Have you seend these guys, the RWG? They can replicate anything. Scary thing" .... Scary thread that one, scary thread the other one... The world of watches became a "State of Fear" obviously.. :busted_cop:

Indeed andreww.

Looks like the purist censor strikes again!

?? Protecting the unwashed masses from the truth?

O/S

If I were a gen forum admin, I would do the same thing.

Places like TZ have gen watch brands sponsoring them, etc. I doubt these sponsors want to see pictures of 100% illegal counterfeit watches there. Yes, there's the "educational" point, but anyone can come to RWG and get the same information. This is like someone giving public advice how to abuse drugs in a medical forum... Yes, there are people who would never buy reps, no matter how good they are... but reps are so good these days that some people actually ARE buying them instead of genuine articles. And pictures of "super reps" are "promotional" and they're bound to raise interest in these products.

Perfectly understandable, imho.

hmmm, looks like the thread has been removed, "Invalid link".

How very kind of them to contribute to the ignorence of their members in such a positive manner!

The less they know, the safer we are. 'cause some still read here as I am shure do reps of just about every gen watch maker in the known world.

Hi Mr Rolex guy!

/me waves @ Rollie spy

Col.

i knew it was going to be closed so i posted as soon as i saw it

just as info for the people who missed it, poster said that he found some pics of reps in internet and said how good reps are getting

he posted a pic of a moderate SHAQ rep with sec@9 but bad cyclops/dw, nobody commented on cyclops

and 2 pics of the best APROO black themes sec@12 with painted dw

one said he would be fooled easly for the SHAQ as gen and

2 people said the APROO looked so genuine its scary

I liked this comment from http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...ev=&reveal=

"...I scared the pants off myself when I saw the fakes out there. I finally pulled the trigger on an ROO Safari from a reputable dealer and then started to look on line. If I had not purchased from a known entity, I probably would have opened the thing myself to just to be comfortable. The fakes are unbelievable. Straps, boxes, papers and holograms are all available on line.

A local AD told me the only way they were able to identify a fake rolex was through a typo on the back of the case. He also told me about an AP from someone witha very large collection that turned out to be fake. They only found out when they sent it to AP for repairs.

Some watch "replica" sites review replicas, like the Graham Swordfish, where the replica is better made than the real one, and indistinguishable. Other sites are showing Panerais with swan neck features in the movements and improved crystals that make it impossible to tell it is a fake. "Patek" Aquanauts and Nautilus look identical to the real thing.

I can't imagine buying from a private seller anymore. Even if they have a great reputation, how do you know the guy who sold it to them didn't rip them off?

Scary world out there. . . . . . "

Wow :busted_cop: ...we are finally busted guys.... :cry:

Seems like all our dirty tricks are out in the open... :omg:

I think its time for someone to stop this guy before he reveals everything... :gun2:

One main problem for us is the high Google rating.

I was searching for genuine TAG Aquaracer chrono pictures... to purchase a genuine, and guess what's the first picture of the Google image search: My RWG rep Aquaracer Chrono review title photo. Ironic, huh... trying to find genuine reference shots, with a gen purchase in mind... and the first one that pops up is my own rep review! :D

Yes you heard it right guys... THE FIRST DAMN PICTURE that comes from the search string: TAG AQUARACER CHRONOGRAPH. So much for flying "under the rarar", eh?

94633586px0.jpg

I was searching for genuine TAG Aquaracer chrono pictures... to purchase a genuine, and guess what's the first picture of the Google image search: My RWG rep Aquaracer Chrono review title photo. Ironic, huh... trying to find genuine reference shots and the first one that pops up is my own rep! :D

Yes... THE FIRST DAMN PICTURE that comes from the search string: TAG AQUARACER CHRONOGRAPH. So much for flying "under the rarar", eh?

94633586px0.jpg

:o OMG...you are the TZ and TKF insider huh???!!!

Busted B-T :busted_cop:

I'd've loved to have read the tread, but never mind... In a way, I say the less attention the hobby gets the better, but, from the other side, it would be nice for people to know that there is an option beyond AD price tags :) I'm sure anyone on TZ who read the thread and actually has an interest in reps, will find their way to the suppliers, where the elitists will just avoid them on principle... I can live with that outcome :) Knowledge for those who seek it, a nice hole in the sand for those who chose not to :)

I was searching for genuine TAG Aquaracer chrono pictures... to purchase a genuine, and guess what's the first picture of the Google image search: My RWG rep Aquaracer Chrono review title photo. Ironic, huh... trying to find genuine reference shots, with a gen purchase in mind... and the first one that pops up is my own rep review! :D

Yes you heard it right guys... THE FIRST DAMN PICTURE that comes from the search string: TAG AQUARACER CHRONOGRAPH. So much for flying "under the rarar", eh?

94633586px0.jpg

:rofl::thumbsupsmileyanim::rofl:

I've told you before, bro, your photography is just too good :good: