When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

And yet another DW V72 project started and finished!

ken fingerlove

Well, I just pulled the trigger on one of DW's case sets, days after deciding that I'd rather keep the cash.

Hopefully I'll end up with a nice Black faced Newman, with a black bezel.

Now on the lookout for crown, crystal, maybe pushers, bracelet, and of course, a movement.

Penury here I come!

J-dog

p.s. I blame everyone here - I wouldn't be doing this if if wasn't for all of you posting heinous pictures!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a question i want to know the answer too as well. Can you put a V72 in a case that housed a 7750? Mine will have the rotor removed and a thinner V72 caseback.

I am going to take the chicken way out....... DW with 7750. BTW can you later put a V72 in a DW cased that housed a 7750? Is the rehault the same on the 7750 as the v72?

Stupid question about the crown.. Is a 7mm triplock crown the way to go? Weren't these originally supplied with a diplock (?) crown?

Plus I'm ordering pushers from cousins uk, which seem to be the same as the ones on ofrei.. They have Tropic 21 glasses for 3.95. Will these be OEM, and the only difference to the Rolex glass is the Rolex branded baggie? Or should I be blowing the budget and spending that huge amount extra on a Rolex branded T21?

Jasper

no idea about the 7750 question

Stupid question about the crown.. Is a 7mm triplock crown the way to go? Weren't these originally supplied with a diplock (?) crown?

Plus I'm ordering pushers from cousins uk, which seem to be the same as the ones on ofrei.. They have Tropic 21 glasses for 3.95. Will these be OEM, and the only difference to the Rolex glass is the Rolex branded baggie? Or should I be blowing the budget and spending that huge amount extra on a Rolex branded T21?

Jasper

no idea about the 7750 question

The cousins pushers are virtually identical to the Ofrei ones but - they are not an exact match. I have used both and have no complaints about either but there is, visually a very slight difference. Not enough to worry me. Sorry I can't post pics but I haven't got a macro camera. Hope this helps.

Hi Jasper!

According to the bible (Rolex Daytona: A Legend Is Born) "Early models ref. 6263-6265 have Oyster Twinlock 700 winding crown...in the early 1970s Rolex [supplies] Oyster Triplock 701. In the second half of the 1970s...Triplock 702." My understanding is that PN dials for 6263 and 6265 (the screw-down pusher models) DO NOT say Daytona - only the PN dial meant for 6262 and 6264 (pusher buttons) models have the Daytona indicia, and the correct crown for those Daytonas is the Twinlock 600...it's confusing, and if someone knows better than me, please chime in!

Where is Freddy?

Hi Jasper!

According to the bible (Rolex Daytona: A Legend Is Born) "Early models ref. 6263-6265 have Oyster Twinlock 700 winding crown...in the early 1970s Rolex [supplies] Oyster Triplock 701. In the second half of the 1970s...Triplock 702." My understanding is that PN dials for 6263 and 6265 (the screw-down pusher models) DO NOT say Daytona - only the PN dial meant for 6262 and 6264 (pusher buttons) models have the Daytona indicia, and the correct crown for those Daytonas is the Twinlock 600...it's confusing, and if someone knows better than me, please chime in!

I am going to take the chicken way out....... DW with 7750. BTW can you later put a V72 in a DW cased that housed a 7750? Is the rehault the same on the 7750 as the v72?

The rehaut varies slightly in each of the DW Daytona cases I have worked on (though always within a reasonable range for a vintage Daytona) & it, like the dimensional aspects of the rest of the case, does not appear to be movement specific. That is, the differences are most likely due more to sample-to-sample manufacturing variations than to any designed-in specifications. In most cases, the middle case will accept either movement. The casebacks for the Valjoux are slightly shallower (similar to the gen), but it can be used with a rotorless 7750 as well since the middle case is otherwise the same. On the other hand, I had to do a great deal of grinding/reshaping to 1 of my V72 cases before the V72 would fit properly into it & that included the rehaut area. So alot of this comes down to luck of the draw (how well your particular case was machined at the factory) & how much time/effort you or your watchmaker are prepared to put in to get the job done (if required).

The rehaut varies slightly in each of the DW Daytona cases I have worked on (though always within a reasonable range for a vintage Daytona) & it, like the dimensional aspects of the rest of the case, does not appear to be movement specific. That is, the differences are most likely due more to sample-to-sample manufacturing variations than to any designed-in specifications. In most cases, the middle case will accept either movement. The casebacks for the Valjoux is slightly shallower (similar to the gen), but it can be used with a rotorless 7750 as well since the middle case is otherwise the same. On the other hand, I had to do a great deal of grinding/reshaping to 1 of my V72 cases before the V72 would fit properly into it & that included the rehaut area. So alot of this comes down to luck of the draw (how well your particular case was machined at the factory) & how much time/effort you or your watchmaker are prepared to put in to get the job done (if required).

Whoops! Not enough alcohol while reading this post.......... What have I done? :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

And the parts arrive.

I got the black Newman dial, and am going to go with the black bezel. David was very prompt with this lot, very happy.

The deal came with three movement components - for the sake of being cheap, unless the V72 from the donor needs a rebuild, I'll ask my guy to put the chrono bridge in only. I'm pretty sure no one will ever see any of them, but I'll get it put in anyway. Anyone got any tips on making it look a bit older?

I got the pushers from cousins, and a genuine crown is on its way - although I don't really see what's wrong with the one supplied. Glass is generic T21 from cousins, too.

The bezel came with two inserts. One has dodgy 'PERHOUR', and the other one has dodgy '1 1 0'. Shrug. Anyone got one that might be better?

I'll probably spend a bit of time 'vintagising' the case. I'll tape off some bits, and do the old bag of coins bit, polish, repeat. Almost certainly better to do that while the watch is in bits.

I picked up the Seth Thomas chronograph on the boards here, along with a DW mystery movement daytona. It needs some work, too (the 3 o'clock hand has fallen off its double sided tape, and the hand at 9 is falling off its tape). I'll see if a V23 will turn up anywhere, and pass that onto my friendly neighbourhood watchmaker.. I am in two minds about the donor watch. It's boxed, and in nice shape. If anyone out there had a V72 chrono that was more suited to giving up its guts, please let me know. Maybe we could come to an arrangement.

These tough economic climes mean that my watchmaker has some more spare time, so maybe this will get done more quickly than I expected (I certainly didn't expect to have all the parts this quickly).

Will follow up with the completed article. I'm actually quite excited :S

Cheers!

J

post-8435-1235823087_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on the DW, but, unless your watch guy has constructed a DW before, be prepared to hear discouraging words from him. The appearance of the parts can be deceiving as you are more likely than not to run into at least 1 part that will not fit without modifications (sometimes severe modifications).

Good luck.

I hate to discourage you, as you seem to have everything together and ready to go - But that donor watch is just too nice to pull apart, IMO. I think you should keep shopping for a loose movement, or at least an uglier donor.

I hate to discourage you, as you seem to have everything together and ready to go - But that donor watch is just too nice to pull apart, IMO. I think you should keep shopping for a loose movement, or at least an uglier donor.

Haha! I always think that from these projects.................the DW's are great, but when guys source the V72 donor watch gens like those sweet Gallets I drool over them!

Edited by Demsey

• 2 weeks later...

So, just had my preliminary chat with my watchmaker after he got the goods.

He said, I've got bad news for you - your dial says Oyster - they never made a newman with this dial. Cue some persuasion and the promise to email some pictures of the genuine article.

Then discussion of the pushers, which had a groove at the bottom (again okayed by pictures off t'internet).

Then eventually - oh, the movement doesn't fit. I'll have to do some serious work on the case to get it to fit. So finally, the really bad news last :( Not that I wasn't expecting it.

He's quite interested in vintage rolexes, and I think is a certified rolex repairer, so is sort of interested in doing this.

We also agreed that he'd clean the movemnt and fit it, and between now and when it gives up a bit, I can search for a more suitable V72 or a V727, put the movement back in the Seth Thomas, and get the fake bridges in something that needs more work...

So, just had my preliminary chat with my watchmaker after he got the goods.

He said, I've got bad news for you - your dial says Oyster - they never made a newman with this dial. Cue some persuasion and the promise to email some pictures of the genuine article.

I am 100% positive they made oyster PN dial in 626X cases (I bought one of these beauties in 1997 for $7000 believe it or not) here is a pic:

whitenewman.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Beautiful watch Hugonw

Agreed, the real dial really is a step (or two) above the DW..

I'm just replying here to vent about my new strap. I ordered a custom strap three weeks ago and specified contrast stitching three times (before I ordered, in my order, and confirmed after), then I get an email today saying they received one with same colour stitching and would I accept it. I politely declined. I guess it's annoying for them, too, because it probably wasn't their fault, either..

Oh well, one of those things. Not that I could have put it on the DW yet, anyway. I haven't heard anything from my watchmaker for a few weeks. I presume no news is bad news.

I ordered a buckle from yukiwatch. Hopefully that won't look as shoddy as the other 'vintage' buckle I just sent back.

The excitement about this watch had better wear off soon. You'd think my new WM9 sub would distract me. Perhaps another few weeks of nothing from the assembly house will make me forget.

Sorry to hear about the strap issues, but unforeseen problems tend to be the rule when constructing watches (& not making everything yourself).

And the Newman dials were definitely fitted to Oyster cases. These are often referred to as ROC (Rolex Oyster Cosmograph) Newmans. Just be sure to use Oyster-style (screw-type) pushers for that Oyster dial.

• 2 weeks later...

And yet another update with no update. :)

Finally got my strap in the post this week (actually, I will include one picture). But stitching was wrong, so back it went. Looked pretty good otherwise, but wondering if maybe a lighter brown would have been better.

I still have time. Talked to the watchmaker today, and he says he can probably start on it late next week. Woo-hoo.

In other good news, he has found a twinlock crown that he can stick in. He's now worried about the hands more than anything.

And he has me on the lookout for a bracelet, Tudor or Rolex, because he reckons a Tudor bracelet plus Rolex clasp will be much cheaper than the all Rolex affair.

Maybe in three weeks or so, I'll have some pictures of something ticky with hands and [censored] :S

post-8435-1240000072_thumb.jpg