When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need some advice from any Jaguar owners

Chicken Manny

Although I have always loved the looks of the XJ Jaguars I never considered owning one due to reliability issues. Well now I'm doing what I thought I would never do; I'm considering buying a XJ8. From the reading I've done it seems the issues have been greatly improved on the newest series but I would like to hear from any members that have knowlege on the subject.

I'm aware of the air suspension issues but what else could you tell me? Also, I know they are working on an updated version for 2010 or 2011 but I can't wait that long.

Thanks in advance for the help! :D

My dad's company leases him an XJ... great car... I remember it had an issue with a faulty abs sensor or something but it was a quick fix... his '05 Audi had many more issues... Drives great...suspension is a tad on the softer side but the upgraded electronics package, etc are pretty good... the newest model's sound system is also amazing.

Man, just do it. All cars have consumer horror stories. All. Name a car that has the best recognized service record, then Google it /Horror Stories............................http://www.porscheenginefailure.com/?p=11

Then someone here will post a "Yeah, but, yeah, but, I'm Mr. Porsche and that site is crap, and I ran a service tech in Germany and you should listen to me, because when I was at Brumos................" PHOOEY!!

I drive Fords; a '03 Excursion V-10 and a '98 Cobra modular V-8 32v, and all the import guys will say American is crap, and all the Bow Tie guys will say Ford is junk............but my experience with both vehicles has been nothing but sheer bliss and contentment.

Do your 'Consumer Reports' due diligence and if you can easily talk yourself into it, grab for the ring.

My father has owned XK-E types through the sixties, XJ-S types through the seventies, tried a couple of Lexus through the nineties, and now drives an old geezer's XJ-S................there have been computer problems, brake problems, fuel injection problems, electrical gremlins but every single Jag has been BUTTER!.............cars are man made. Men are fallible. Get some faith.

JUST DO IT!!

Pics please.

Current XJ is a run out model, so you should get a good deal on it. All new XJ launch is in London in June '09 (with sales to start early 2010) - this car will not be a traditional Jag, but much more like the new XF - think along the lines of Audi A7, Mercedes CLS and such - definitely a different target customer. Smallest gasoline engine will be N/A 5.0 liter V8, aside from 3.0l V6 diesels.

Dean

Edited by straight_six

As a Land Rover owner I feel eminently qualified to comment:

BUY IT. And then get some stock in oil companies so you're actually paying yourself as you replenish the leaky fluids.

It's a win-win! :tu:

As a Land Rover owner I feel eminently qualified to comment:

BUY IT. And then get some stock in oil companies so you're actually paying yourself as you replenish the leaky fluids.

It's a win-win! :tu:

BRILLIANT!

Like I said, the truck has a V-10, my portfolio holds Exxon/Mobil, and I have an Exxon card in my wallet. -_-

I drive a 95 xj6. its part of the x300 series. Apart from the spareparts being really expensive, its and extremely reliable car. Actually i would say never mind the sparreparts, because you rarely need them.

For me the x300 was the last good looking jaguar. They were built with ford quality control, but they werent just disguised ford mondeos. They are widely regarded as the best jags out there. Their engines have a run in period of 90.000 km, so they are built to last.

I dont really like how the moderne jags look, so i would recomend a 95-99 x300. If you can get a xjr, thats even more fun.

this one is mine

jag-til-blog.jpg

jag-til-blog-2.jpg

Can't argue that fact Dems,well said.

Make sure to pick up that Jag used,they go for less than Honda Civics of the same year around here.... :lol:

Hey Dave. Is RepGeek down again? Hate when that happens. :thumbdown:

Roger on the 'resale/depreciation' on Jaguar. Oh well, you can't be a big dog on chump change.

Speaking of 'Change', I saw O. was in Canada last week. Good thing you guys have all the oil. He's gonna shut Mexico out of NAFTA through US protectionism. You'll still be able to get MOPAR and GM parts. It'll cost you though.............when the government owns two of the big three, a fan belt for your 'Vette will cost as much as one off an F-22.

Good to see you!

Jaguar used to be a great manufacturer of British luxury and sport cars. Then it was purchased by Ford. Now, to spit on it even more, it was purchased by Indian carmaker TaTa.

So you would be buying an Indian car that was, at some point, "done up" by Ford.

I wouldn't, but it's your choice.

Hey Dave. Is RepGeek down again? Hate when that happens. :thumbdown:

Roger on the 'resale/depreciation' on Jaguar. Oh well, you can't be a big dog on chump change.

Speaking of 'Change', I saw O. was in Canada last week. Good thing you guys have all the oil. He's gonna shut Mexico out of NAFTA through US protectionism. You'll still be able to get MOPAR and GM parts. It'll cost you though.............when the government owns two of the big three, a fan belt for your 'Vette will cost as much as one off an F-22.

Good to see you!

Good to see you here as well my friend,RWG1 must be down?....

I was unaware that Obama was here,which province did he visit...Ontario,Alberta,Florida?...

Jaguars are nice cars,the prestige of an owner is not if he can afford to buy the car,but can afford to keep it on the road.

Nice looking cars,my father had 2 of them. :)

Thanks for the input Gents! Both Nanuq and I are Land Rover owners so I'm used to the British Anti-Corrosion Self-Oiling System (aka fluid leaks). I don't mind a bit of a mess as long as I can get where I need to go.

It sounds like nobody had anything really bad to report. I suspect I can put up with the normal stuff associated with Jag ownership. I own a Mercedes (wife's ride) and haven't been exactly happy with the way it holds up. I keep hearing the Jags are doing better than the Germans in terms of reliability.

I will likely find a used very low mile car, as mentioned above. Let someone else take the major hit. While I would like to check out the 'new' XJ coming out I try to stay away from first year cars. If I waited a year after launch, well, I just can't wait that long.

I'm still a bit nervous but what the heck, the worst thing that happens is I take a hit and buy something else. I'll blame it all on Nanuq anyway. ;)

Now I have to check if I can get the union jack painted on a XJ B)

You might consider a used 08 xj8. I'm a car dealer and know that 6 sold last week via Manheim Auctions at an average of $35,500 for an average 5000 mile car. Let the first owner take the depreciation hit.

Very true!

Oh, right. One to get to work in, one to be in the shop. K.

Indeed... my grandfather had an XJ6... I remember my dad calling it the British Songbird as it would tweet, purr, chug...you name a sound and that car made it! Reason: zero...just it's personality. I remember him ranting about Lucas electrics on one of his older cars when I was much younger...thankfully-Lucas is no longer providing for Jaguar!

Sidenote: A good friend has a TR6...that car would just decide to not work and then start right up a few hours later...no logic needed :)!

Not being rich like Chicken_Manny :whistling: I drive a Land Rover of, shall we say, a collectible vintage. *cough*

Mine came with electrics by the Prince of Darkness (Lord Lucas) and in all honesty, once I got past the initial electrical weirdness, it has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. And mine has lived a HARD life here in the arctic.

There's a lot to be said for a vehicle with character. Mine is sprightly, and sluggish, and cranky, and indomitable ... all in the course of a day. And the gents that hand built mine all signed the back of the driver's seat. I like that... more character.

It used to be said that you NEVER bought a Monday or Friday car, as the party behind the factory was just over, or just beginning ... and the car's build quality would suffer. I doubt it's true anymore, but God bless the British for giving us vehicles with character.

I have a lovely pacific blue XK8 (can't post pictures from work) which I've had for almost a year and it's the best car I've ever owned. Sure it's a bit gutsy on the fuel (4L engine) but hey it only does about 8 miles per day.

The only minor issue I may have at the moment is that I may have to replace the ABS cable sensors as the warning light intermittently comes on - wear and tear imo.

Go for it - a Jag is more than just a car, it's a statement about quality and performance. I always get a real good feeling behind the wheel of mine. (especially at 160 mph :D)

Enjoy.

JTB

Bond drives Aston Martins...

Pretty much, but he did drive a Lotus Esprit The Spy Who Loved Me and a L E Turbo For Your Eyes Only and a few B'mers, including the Z3 in GoldenEye. lol a Z3 what a chick car. Only a Miata MX5 could have been worse, but yeah, the DB5 is, was, and always will be...........'it'.

lol a Z3 what a chick car. Only a Miata MX5 could have been worse, but yeah, the DB5 is, was, and always will be...........'it'.

Dems - the wife has a Z3 and on occasions when I have had to use it and spied doing so by my mates, they tell me it makes me look like a gay hairdresser!

Bah!

(Not that I've got anything against gay hairdressers!)