When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First photo of my new genuine

By-Tor

nice BT :)

How does the quality compare to the rep aquaracer?

People who say that TAG isn't anything special are talking out of their arse. The finish and details on the gen are absolutely stunning.

But still, the rep compares very well... it's one of the best reps ever done. Really difficult to believe it's a rep.

Looking good BT, great picture...Enjoy :D

Forgot to mention... got this beauty from Azerbyjam's son. Top class seller, the watch really was in perfect condition. Even the clasp still had the blue plastics attached. :tu:

Nice photo By-tor! You certainly have a handsome collection now. I agree fully with the statement about fit and finish being top class. In the flesh they look outstanding, and they really do have a quality feel to them. For the money you really can't go wrong with a Tag!

I will try to squeeze out some kind of rep vs. gen article soon. However they're not exactly comparable as the rep is the larger day-date model.

But I guess you all have seen World Traveller's excellent comparison already.

Until your review(s) of your Tag's, I never really gave them much thought. Most of them that I've seen are at mall kiosk's and are quartz, so they never really 'tripped my trigger'.

You have a great eye for picking out understated, handsome sports watches.

Congrats on another excellent choice!

Hey congrats man. Another nice gen in the stable.

As you know, I had a 2000 Exclusive Automatic Chronograph myself for a while. You are right, people snub TAG's but they really are very well made. Very much like Breitling in terms of milling which is a great compliment.

I would even go so far as to say the bracelets are far superior to classic gen Rolex sports watch bracelets hands down. Mine reminded me of my Fish in many ways fit and finish wise.

Again, congrats on a good score. That's 41MM right? And $2700 retail or so? I'm sure you got a great deal on it as I have seen them new at up to 37% off which is a steal.

Sorry to poop on the parade but that watch SUCKS!. Your old one is much better! Pleeeeeeeease, it looks so fake I'd be ashamed to wear it! Look how close the T-I-C are on AUTOMATIC. And that blue dial! It screams MADE IN CHYNA. I bet you're wishin' you didn't sell you old one now aren't ya!

Wait... you said you were going to send it out... tomorrow... :mellow:

Hey! Nice watch! :)

Congrats, wear it well BT.

Must admit though I'm a little surprised you've gone for the older 41mm model even if the gen blue dial is slightly different to the rep.

Long ago during the Great Rep Poll of 2005/6 (?) I advocated the production of the 43mm 'Aquagraph-esque' Day-Date as although I really liked the look of your new baby (in blue), I was singularly unimpressed with the wrist presence (plus the bracelet) in the flesh, not to mention the fliplock bracelet.

Still like you, I too didn't dwell long on the rep Aquaracer - it comes out now and again, but my gen Aquagraph takes precedence.

Thanks Gentlemen.

@Doc: I agree 100%. The bigger day-date version has more impressive wrist presence and is definitely more "macho". But I simply wanted this smaller one... just a personal preference. I think the 40-42 mm size is just perfect for sports watches. Anything that goes beyond it ruins the "balance". That's just how I see it... there are many watches that would be even more desirable if they just weren't that huge (like two-tone BCE for example). I probably just have more conservative taste. :)

The bracelet is absolutely stunning on this one... the satin finish is really beautiful on the gen.

Hang on there... gotta do some editorial work now but I try to put out a small rep vs. gen article with more photos later.

As all can see from the wrist shot 41MM is plenty big enough. I think a lot of people have numbers on size on the brain as absolutes and forget sometimes that they all wear different and you can't get much from the number. My 42MM Aquatimer is "bigger" than the 44MM Steelfish because the interior bezel makes the AT appear larger. Similarly, the shape of the Aquaracer case makes it wear larger than 41MM.

Even my favorite illustration, the new style DJ case like on my M serial. It just wears so much larger than 36MM now. I never look down and think the watch is "too small" at all. Is it a large watch? No. But does it "wear" like a 36MM watch? Absolutely not. - and I have 7.5" wrists...

DJmini1-1.jpg

I also agree with BT about relative size and balance. I feel that just so many larger watches are so out of balance. And that isn't a blanket statement. A 47MM Fiddy is balanced fine for what it is, but many others that size just look silly. There is a lot more to the size thing than a number