When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

summertime blue in white gold

JJFlash

Well I see Rolodex has finally decided to resurrect the summertime blue sub.

rolexbluewhitegold.jpg

All I can say is it's about time!!!

This has always been one of the most beautiful colored subs.

I am sure this will come with the obligatory ceramic bezel and rolodex-rolodex-relodex rehaut.

In white gold retails close to $30,000.

Okay rep factory's, start making them cause I am going to need one of these.

I have the previous version and I must say it is still one of my favorites after all these years.

I have to respectfully disagree here, I don't like that blue at all. Especially if you think how beautiful and captivating the blue dial on the current 16613 is.

That one in stainless steel and black dial... hmm, why not. I still prefer the old slimmer case. Rolex Submariner is like Porsche 911... they shouldn't have changed the perfect lines.

Well, like you say JJ, Rolex has released the 116619- blue dial and blue ceramic bezel, case in white gold and yes, the price I saw in the Rolex book was like $27,900 plus tax! The salesman said 4 weeks- they could order it.

I think the rep of this is around- there was some discussion a month or so ago. It's kinda ironic- a $200-300 rep of a $30,000 watch. But the new case is coming- this year the TT's are supposed to hit the market and in 2010 the 116610 is supposed to arrive. Like B-T says, I'll miss the old 16610- but it's been around for over 20 years. I guess things gotta change.

Like B-T says, I'll miss the old 16610- but it's been around for over 20 years. I guess things gotta change.

Actually the base design has been there since 1680 was introduced. The 1680 case is 99% identical with 16610. So the classic crown guards Submariner has been around for 40 years.

Personally, I think they should have made less dramatic changes. But then again ask me again in 20 years... maybe I have changed my mind. :D

The rep is out with a ceramic bezel but has many flaws. I purchased one in spite of the obvious miscues and still love the watch. The dial and bezel are off color from the gen and if you look closely they are off color from each other. The bezel insert is some ceramicish material and the numbers are too thin. The crown guards are huge but all that considered I would rather have this rep than not. I purchased it from Ajoe and it was a watch he bought but did not want to keep. I think it will satisfy the craving for a blue sub if you really want blue but otherwise no.

Here is a wrist shot.

DSCN1540.jpg

Edited by Raijor

Yeah, these reps are nothing but GMTs with different dials and bezel inserts. which is wrong

I have heard a member of another forum saying that he got one of these 116619 Subs with the correct clasp (The GLIDElock clasp, as in the DEEPSEA) But I

I ve seen it in stores. although i hadnt liked it when i 12st saw it in pics i have to admit that this blue color is very very bright. It is an eye catcher. I cannot explain how they managed to do it but you have to see it live to believe me. It will be really hard to replicate this blue color imo (much brighter than the 16610 TTs)

• 1 month later...

It looks like watcheden has it:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/Rolex-Submariner...ati-t91718.html

and has what appears from the pics to be the GLIDElock clasp. Just from the pics its looks pretty accurate, but I am by no means an expert. The price is nice too.

Gotta say, since I first saw this in GQ, I've wanted it.

Edited by R0NiN

I like the blue Sub, but I don't know if I like them enough to actually wear one... I think I'd have to try one on to actually decide. Blue SMP, no problem... Blue Sub... Not too sure... :unsure:

I've seen TJ Thyne wearing a blue sub on Bones, and always wondered if it was a rep :lol:

We will at least agree wholeheartedly on this point.

Never going to give up my red 911SC, a true classic.

However, I may be driving it with my new summertime blue sub on the wrist! B)

For a ride in an SC I could care less if the driver were naked wearing a Timex. I would care even less if the driver were a woman, but, yeah, a ride up the Taconic Parkway in a 70's SC would be a good day.

I like the blue Sub, but I don't know if I like them enough to actually wear one...

Me as well. There are a lot of watches I feel this way about. The 16613 and the PO Chrono are two of them that I own. I don't think I've ever seen the Summer Blue look better in photograph than it does on Raijor's wrist shot. There it looks tempting. It is a nice watch with an interesting history.

Me as well. There are a lot of watches I feel this way about. The 16613 and the PO Chrono are two of them that I own. I don't think I've ever seen the Summer Blue look better in photograph than it does on Raijor's wrist shot. There it looks tempting. It is a nice watch with an interesting history.

Do you mean that you own them simply as collection pieces, rather than them getting wrist time? Is the Blue Sub a limited editition? I have to admit, I've never seen anything about them online, I'd certainly be interested to find out more about them :)

Actually, I own them as I thought, wrongly, I would appreciate them as personally 'functional'. That they would suit me. After a 'test drive', I realized, no, they do not.

Which brings to the conversation how amazing and what a resource that facet of 'replica' is. It gives you the opportunity for more than 2000% mark down to experience a wrist watch in the non-virtual. Towit, I thought, since I registered RWG in '04. how amazing it would be to own a genuine Daytona. I admired them since childhood as my father and all his cronies wore them. I chanced a 16520 and felt ridiculous, given my circle, vocation and station wearing it. I was self conscious regardless and aside of it being a 'replica'. Could you imagine the horror to come to that realization after spending upwards of 25K in a moment of retail hysteria?! YIKES!

Through the RWG experience I have come to realize I am a 'Submariner Man' as I always knew deep down. Perhaps a Sea Dweller, but not the DSSD surely. Vintage as well, the older the better.

As for the Daytona, as I have been given one through legacy, I will wear that proudly with ZERO remorse. :)

6263II.jpg

The 'Summer Blue', as may have been mentioned here already is a 'snipe'. A 'Japan Release' only edition, for a short run in the 70's to 80's (ish, it's been a while since I researched, and with freddy around I wouldn't waste my time :D ). Seldom seen photographed, never have I as a wrist shot, and certainly not on these boards. Sort of like the Triumph Spitfire, or the Saab Sonnet. Merely "meh" automobiles in their day, but now highly sought after.

I like the blue Sub, but I don't know if I like them enough to actually wear one... I think I'd have to try one on to actually decide.

Think faded jeans, sneaks & a t & the Smurf works.

As for the Daytona, as I have been given one through legacy, I will wear that proudly with ZERO remorse. :)

6263II.jpg

Sort of like the Triumph Spitfire, or the Saab Sonnet. Merely "meh" automobiles in their day, but now highly sought after.

Love that pic (& watch) :good:

raybans004b1.jpg