When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Customs Declaration Papers to UK

lanikai

Dear All ~

I am preparing to ship a rep to the UK ..members have noted that customs has not been a problem .. (both sender and reciever).

I would like to ask members who have actually sent watches to the UK .. "How did you fill out the declaration paer?"

Was it "gift" or "watch repair?",.. and what value was claimed .. I don't want the reciever to have to pay customs duty either ..

Thanks in advance

L

As MP has said, usually a 'gift', or 'broken jewellery for repair' does the job. Customs in the UK is verylapse, and I've never had a problem ordering from the US, China or Thailand. It's more likely that Parcelfarce make a mistake when delivering it rather than customs making an issue of the pakage :D

As MP has said, usually a 'gift', or 'broken jewellery for repair' does the job. Customs in the UK is verylapse, and I've never had a problem ordering from the US, China or Thailand. It's more likely that Parcelfarce make a mistake when delivering it rather than customs making an issue of the pakage :D

Aww man, Parcelforce, don't get me started! 100% ParcelFarce if you ask me! :p:lol:

There are still customs between EU countries i.e. for illegal goods etc... however there cannot be the imposition of an unfair taxation system on products crossing frontiers within the EU, otherwise it would defeat the objectives of the foundations of the EU itself.

• 10 months later...

Hi, sorry to re-kindle a dead thread, but I have just bought a $900 gen watch from TZ and wanted to know the best way to avoid customs.

The seller will either mark the package as a gift and label the package with lower value $36~ to try and avoid problems, but my concern is that if the package gets lost would I be able to claim the $900 back?

Secondly I thought about marking the package as a watch being return for repair, my thinking being that it would avoid import charges as I could say it was bought in the UK and sent to the USA for repair, that way I could mark it at full value and be able to insure it at that cost.

Or is it possible to mark the package at a low cost and still insure the watch at full value??

Many Thanks

Ben

personally i'd insure for the full amount otherwise you will only be able to claim the customs declaration amount.. using the "return from repair" statement would be the best (and safest) way to get around the charges, HOWEVER this doesn't work too well if the watch is being sent complete with paperwork, certificates, boxes, etc..

Hey Lani bro. I think everyones said it all. You shouldnt have problems shipping to the EU. Most of my watches coming from CONUS / Asia have always been shipped USPS / FedEx. Have had parcels sent as a "gift" and as a "watch returned from service" without any issues. Now the value s upto the buyer I guess.....if the watch is valuable then insurance is advisable (which means you cant alter the value on customs form).....If the value is VERY low (say below $50) then I usually never received a VAT invoice......Ask the buyer whats preferable to them.

Hi, sorry to re-kindle a dead thread, but I have just bought a $900 gen watch from TZ and wanted to know the best way to avoid customs.

The seller will either mark the package as a gift and label the package with lower value $36~ to try and avoid problems, but my concern is that if the package gets lost would I be able to claim the $900 back?

Secondly I thought about marking the package as a watch being return for repair, my thinking being that it would avoid import charges as I could say it was bought in the UK and sent to the USA for repair, that way I could mark it at full value and be able to insure it at that cost.

Or is it possible to mark the package at a low cost and still insure the watch at full value??

Many Thanks

Ben

No matter what you say if value is over £18 you will be hit with VAT if its over £36 it will also attract duty plus VAT. Never use the term watch even the manufacturers wont do that. The official phrase is 'precision instrument' UK customs and excise do not recognise the term gift or return for repair etc they go on declared value only. They also rely on paperwork submitted by shipping company and only carry out random checks on the package frames as they sit in the bonded areas.

If you want to be covered you must declare the value if you take the risk then still put down a couple of hundred dollars and ship at least EMS or better to reduce risk of loss or of getting it back later if initially lost. You shouldnt value low and send by expensive shipping method that might raise questions.

The risk of loss and reduced value is minimal but if there are papers certs etc then send these seperately if you do lose the watch then use certs/paperwork to claim watch loss on house insurance!! If its that important to you finacially.

Thanks for the replys everyone!

@PeteM do you think it would be best to ship watch and papers seperately?

That way watch can be marked as precision instrument @ full value with insurance and box and papers can be sent at minimal value with insurance for say $50?

Surely if manufactures mark it as precision instrument the postal workers know this aswell and its just as likely to go missing??

TIA

Thanks for the replys everyone!

@PeteM do you think it would be best to ship watch and papers seperately?

That way watch can be marked as precision instrument @ full value with insurance and box and papers can be sent at minimal value with insurance for say $50?

Surely if manufactures mark it as precision instrument the postal workers know this aswell and its just as likely to go missing??

TIA

PM sent mate