When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How come the women can pull it off?

Limestone

I think it's just the culture. Guys are often more brash and up front...whereas women of a certain social sect may not ask directly...but may well talk about them being real or fake behind their backs.

...oh...we were talking about watches right? ;)

I've never been called out on a watch...and have rarely had anybody ask the real or fake question that wasn't doing it in jest.

Yep they usually don't get is it a Rep Vs. Gen question... these kinda questions emerge in the men circles mostly...

Still depends on a situation... example i have 2 gen Rolex and when i visit in my parents in a small town where they live most of the people if they notice a ROLEX will ask the gen/rep question... even when i tell them the watch is real 50% of them will still insist its a fake!

Now on the other hand corp. i work for sent me to brand course edu. to Munich in 2006 and no one there even sensed my ultimate 111h i wore at that time is a fake... i received nice comments all around... and let me tell u watch presence was big there.

Laz

Cool story Laz, as a kind of off topic side note: I had my sub called out last night by a friend of mine running his finger over the date mag and saying that on the gens it's not even slightly 'sharp' on the edges..

I don't pass it off to be gen so it didn't bother me, just interesting that this 'flaw' isnt talked about much..

I guess the general consensus on the boards is we all figure someone should be able to tell a gen from a fake just from the 'feel' in general though.. Not sure how true that is though really..

Cool story Laz, as a kind of off topic side note: I had my sub called out last night by a friend of mine running his finger over the date mag and saying that on the gens it's not even slightly 'sharp' on the edges..

I don't pass it off to be gen so it didn't bother me, just interesting that this 'flaw' isnt talked about much..

I guess the general consensus on the boards is we all figure someone should be able to tell a gen from a fake just from the 'feel' in general though.. Not sure how true that is though really..

I can't say whether or not your friend is correct, but usually people have some dumb ass tell on a Rolex that is a figment of their imagination and they get lucky sometimes. If I handed a gen Submariner to 100 people on the street, 95 of them would say it is fake because the bracelet is too cheap feeling.

Interesting.... I've handled gens, but never tried touching the cyclops, so I couldn't speak from experience as to how accurate that is. To me, it sounds like he just wanted an excuse - any excuse - to say the watch was a rep, and by feeling the edge of the cyclops, that was probably a good enough reason :lol:

Maybe we talk more about feelings/situations with women and physical/technical things with men.

Yea, that could be one of the main issues.

And I also think that Toad has an excellent answer

Guys are often more brash and up front...whereas women of a certain social sect may not ask directly...but may well talk about them being real or fake behind their backs.

//H

Women do not get called out as we know they lie all the time….make-up to hide age (ware and tear), high heels to fake their size, push up bras (as gravity never gives up), their real age (see make-up)… sorry for being such as sexist…..

Funniest thing I've read today :D :D :D

Really strange conversation today with the local watchmaker, went to get the Link resized as I don't have the tools at university and he only identified it was fake because the links are attached very differently to the gen. Wanted to know where I got the watch from/was impressed.

i think because men decide to think if your watch is rep or gen by judging your status, wealth etc.. well they also get jealous and they want inside that your rolex is a (with these words)cheap fake, knock-off. for whatever reasons

i guess women to themselves are more mature in that aspect..and if a man notices the watch of a woman and compliments, they usually concentrated more on something else than thinking if her watch is rep or not.

i hate people ask "real or fake?", its so low and dumb..i just compliment on someone elses watch if its looking nice to me, and i dont care if ts rep or gen unless im paying for the watch.

Really strange conversation today with the local watchmaker, went to get the Link resized as I don't have the tools at university and he only identified it was fake because the links are attached very differently to the gen. Wanted to know where I got the watch from/was impressed.

What model Link? Because every one I have seen on here duplicated the genuine perfectly.

//H .. all that I can say to that is... reminds me of one of a joke I will never forget..

2 very afluent kids playing... and the boy say's... 'my daddy has a yacht',.. the little girl say's ,.. "Oh yeah, my daddy has one too, and we have a lear jet"

the little boy get's a little agitated and say's .. OH, yeah !.. my mommy has a Mercedes Benz!" .. the little girl laughs and say's,..." that's nothing we have a Limo and a driver" ....

now the little boy is really frustrated.. so he pulls down his pants,.. and say's.. "oh yeah, bet ya don't have one of these".. .. the girl just laughs.. and pulls up her dress,.. and say's... "no... but with one of These... I can get as many of Those as I want." :lol:

Morale of the story... don't ever compare the genders equality .... never works B)

The very few times anyone has noticed my rep, I've never been asked if it's real or fake, personally I think that would be kind of rude and I'm glad that's never happended to me.

Why do people aske these questions? It's behavior not gender related. I'm not a woman but in over 20 years I've never even been asked about my watch. Why? Because I wear it. It's a watch. It's meant for telling time. I can't even begin to think of a situation where someone would be running their fingers over my cyclops.

I think women can get away wearing obvious fakes because most women consider their watch just part of their overall jewelry. This is also 1 of the reasons why most women prefer battery-operated to mechanical, regardless of the value or technology involved.

This will be old news for many of the long-time members, but I gave a couple of my early rep watches (this 6263 & a VC fantasy watch) to a female friend who, although she is well aware they are fakes, loves & wears them daily

6263-24HourWinneratDaytonarep1.jpg

vcfantasy0011.jpg

As it happens, 1 of the VC's 4mm x 6mm square pushers fell out of her watch (& was lost) & I am having trouble locating a replacement.

vcfantasy20011.jpg

None of the usual parts houses stock this particular size (ofrei, borel, cousins, etc), so if anyone knows of a source, please let me know.

i think because men decide to think if your watch is rep or gen by judging your status, wealth etc.. well they also get jealous and they want inside that your rolex is a (with these words)cheap fake, knock-off. for whatever reasons

Fully agree on this point, most men want to feel they are better earn more ect and by trying to put down what you have makes them feel better.