When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Corum Golden Gate bridge watch - replica available?

kevnick80

I don't think the factories could replicate that watch. The key feature in the Bridge watch is the movt, and the factories could not afford to copy a movt for just one watch model, they need volumes.

Last here I found a site offering a Bridge rep using a gen photo, the site screamed SCAM! to loud and clear to even bother to ask them about the watch.

It's a shame, I also like this piece.

Kevin - you keep picking these watches - like the Ulysse Royal Blue. What's next? Brother, let us try and help you understand. Replica watches and replica movements are two different things. They just don't rep movements like these. You would think it is the same process. A copy is a copy right? Wrong. Even standard watch movements are a specialty item and require great expertise to make and make run. The factories that rep the watches don't make movements. They buy the movements from other factories in China. Those factories don't make one off high end watch movements, just standard ones for economy of scale reasons. This will never change. So usually you see reps, high end reps anyway, being made of genuine watches which use similar standard type movements. And even many of those are not of the highest quality. You will always get what you pay for. If you do see a rep of something really high end, you would never want it. It will be a sub hundred dollar piece with terrible plated base metal material and none of the complications will be working, nor will the watch be visually accurate.

I just thought I would try and clarify this for you before you ask for a Breguet Double Tourbillion or Nardin Ghengis Khan next...just kidding...welcome to the fray. But you need to lower your standards a bit and maybe try starting with reps of gens that cost less than 200k, 100k, or even 50k. In fact, the best reps made are of watches that cost less than 7K as gens and the movements are a very good reason for that. It allows the reps in many cases to not only be CNC made with 1:1 case parts, but also use the exact same movement as the gen as well...

FYI, the gens are fragile too. My best freind is one of the biggest collectors in the country and he has three of them, in each metal - yellow, white, rose. Two of the three of them have stopped running since he got them last year with various problems.

Really? That is valuable information. One could threaten to expose Corum in exchange for a settlement to remain quite.

Yeah, true story. And it has taken forever plus another day for him to get resolutions to the problem. So much so he will never buy anything from the brand again. Not the best idea to give bad service to a collector like him. There are literally stores across the country that are only still in business from his purchases of complications. Anyway, too bad about the GB as the concept is pretty cool. "In Line" train design movements are something to behold. The Nardin Royal Blue Tourbillion is another as is the carosel tourbillion design of The Freak.

FYI, the gens are fragile too. My best freind is one of the biggest collectors in the country and he has three of them, in each metal - yellow, white, rose. Two of the three of them have stopped running since he got them last year with various problems.

That is unfortunate to learn....that watch was definitely on my gen list. :(

That is unfortunate to learn....that watch was definitely on my gen list. :(

It is a shame too as the watches are really nice in the flesh. Personally, I don't care for the design or look myself but I know a world class watch when I handle one and these are for sure. I don't know if you have had a chance to spend some time with one yet. The cases are very well constructed and finished. I spent some time at 10x with them and was very impressed. My previous experiences with the brand were not that way at all - just the opposite. Prior to that I felt that everthing I touched from them was junk.

It does stand to reason though that a movement that small would be fragile. His problems were supposedly broken part related and I don't know the details. But one can guess. Everything needs to be built very lightly and yet they still chose to beat it at 28.8k. It would take a bigger balance, but they might have considered building an 18k or at the very least a 21.6 caliber to keep the torque and friction down. In fact, it might even look cooler and remain just as symetrical. A larger screw balance (which are always cooler looking anyway) and a bigger mainspring barrel at the other end (then maybe up the case size as well). But of course, they were going for the most even, vertical look possible, hence the small balance and high beat rate.

Too bad really.

Here you go Kevin, bit more than Birdman said but there none the less. Possibly they come down in price when they are on auction on the TV? Birdman, can you verify?

http://www.jewelrytelevision.com/index.asp...3&R=3117766

Hope this helps.

I just googled it and they were on sale. I did see it on 1 sale a day website about a week ago for $399. Lots on ebay also

Birdman