When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 2836 Clone

RIBOOWW2

Thanks

I think those links point to movements which only have a date and not a day & date.

Actually, I am looking to put in place of an A7750 thats dead (chrono will then become faux). So footprint similar, I guess and same hours, second and minute hand

Richard

Actually, I am looking to put in place of an A7750 thats dead (chrono will then become faux). So footprint similar, I guess and same hours, second and minute hand

I think you will need another A7750 for that. Try the Trading section (they pop up every once in awhile) or contact some of the collectors to see if they might have a watch that was returned for cosmetic reasons that they are willing to sell at a discount. Or check with Ziggy to see about having yours serviced, which would be a good idea even if it was running.

Price has gone up - 135 CDN.

Its the Shanghai movement 3z something.

I am nervous of all A7750 - multiple bad experiences, I am afraid. Do you think the ones purchased from a local supplier will be more reliable and have longer life than the ones they put into the replicas in China? This one only lasted 4 month infrequent wear then the power reserve went to zero (well almost)

I contacted The Zigmeister before but not sure if he wants the servicing business -received no response

I am nervous of all A7750 - multiple bad experiences, I am afraid. Do you think the ones purchased from a local supplier will be more reliable and have longer life than the ones they put into the replicas in China?

Nope. It's hit and miss. The "risk" can play out in some cases as many have had them last years with no service and no problem...while others only a few months. I have one with a sticking reversing wheel that has low PR...but I still wear it.

As to The Zigmeister...if you've booked an appointment in the past and never made it, or have asked a lot of questions or "annoying" questions without booking work...you will find yourself on his "blocked" list.

He does the watch work as a hobby and has more potential for work than time to complete it.

Good luck with the decision. It's a fun one!!

I am nervous of all A7750 - multiple bad experiences, I am afraid. Do you think the ones purchased from a local supplier will be more reliable and have longer life than the ones they put into the replicas in China? This one only lasted 4 month infrequent wear then the power reserve went to zero (well almost)

My 2 cents on the subject - Excepting the seconds at 6 versions & potential problems locating some replacement parts, I am not aware of any inherent problems with properly serviced Asian 7750s. I repeat, properly serviced, which eliminates virtually all of the movements that come in rep watches. The point is that you are far better off having your current A7750 serviced by a knowledgeable watchsmith (like Ziggy or a local watchmaker who works on rep watches) than taking your chances on another surplus movement, regardless of which movement it is.

Nope. It's hit and miss. The "risk" can play out in some cases as many have had them last years with no service and no problem...while others only a few months. I have one with a sticking reversing wheel that has low PR...but I still wear it.

As to The Zigmeister...if you've booked an appointment in the past and never made it, or have asked a lot of questions or "annoying" questions without booking work...you will find yourself on his "blocked" list.

He does the watch work as a hobby and has more potential for work than time to complete it.

Good luck with the decision. It's a fun one!!

Toadtorrent,

You mention a "sticking reverser wheel". I posted this question on General Discussion and got no response. I have a watch that I built up that has an Asian-made 2824-2 (dealer insists that it is ETA), maybe a Hangzhou 6300. It is only 4 months and keeps time in the +-2 sec. range. Sometimes when I sit with the watch in flat, dial-up orientation I can hear the rotor spinning. I have removed the movement and confirmed that the rotor is spinning. It is like it is being driven by the mainspring and actually winding down the watch, but it only turns about a dozen revolutions, or so. Is this a "sticking reverser"? Is the upper wheel sticking to the lower wheel. I can probably determine which way the rotor spins when it happens. I want to fix it.

Thanks!

Toadtorrent,

You mention a "sticking reverser wheel". I posted this question on General Discussion and got no response. I have a watch that I built up that has an Asian-made 2824-2 (dealer insists that it is ETA), maybe a Hangzhou 6300. It is only 4 months and keeps time in the +-2 sec. range. Sometimes when I sit with the watch in flat, dial-up orientation I can hear the rotor spinning. I have removed the movement and confirmed that the rotor is spinning. It is like it is being driven by the mainspring and actually winding down the watch, but it only turns about a dozen revolutions, or so. Is this a "sticking reverser"? Is the upper wheel sticking to the lower wheel. I can probably determine which way the rotor spins when it happens. I want to fix it.

Thanks!

Isn't that the click or whatever the little metal piece is that keeps the mainspring from unwinding? It's like right next to the mainspring with a tooth slotted into it....it'll ratchet when you wind the watch...

The answer is - probably. Does the rotor spin when you manually wind the watch? If so, then, most likely, the auto-wind module (of which the reverser wheels are a part) needs to be disassembled, cleaned & lubricated. This is also a good indicator that the entire movement is in need of a proper overhaul.

The answer is - probably. Does the rotor spin when you manually wind the watch? If so, then, most likely, the auto-wind module (of which the reverser wheels are a part) needs to be disassembled, cleaned & lubricated. This is also a good indicator that the entire movement is in need of a proper overhaul.

Thanks for reply. I think that it is just not that bad yet. It doesn't just spin all the time. Sometimes if I am just sitting with the watch level, if I move my wrist so as to shake it a little, it will spin. In any other orientation it does not do it. Rotor has to be setting level...for obvious reasons. Seems to not be an uncommon problem.

somal quoted me $90 for the far east 2836 I bought a gen ETA from the bay instead in a best offer submission for $70 US it even has the incabloc shock instead of the novodiac and a black date wheel with white print... Rotor is missing but luckily I have a spare. Seller may have a nickle 2836 for sale, pm me for details if interested

somal quoted me $90 for the far east 2836 I bought a gen ETA from the bay instead in a best offer submission for $70 US it even has the incabloc shock instead of the novodiac and a black date wheel with white print... Rotor is missing but luckily I have a spare. Seller may have a nickle 2836 for sale, pm me for details if interested

Good deal :thumbs: !!