When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Photobucket bandwith exceeded

By-Tor

I've seen that lots of people's Photobucket bandwith exceeding lately... including mine. I find it quite amazing as this particular Photobucket was only used for wrist shots. Still, the bandwith jumped from 70% to 100% in just one day. I seriously doubt this kind of increase in bandwith can be realistic, especially when my other (new) Photobucket sites have always gotten much bigger traffic before (due to Omega Guide, Breitling Guide, TAG Guide, etc.) and they're running normally at 20% / month or so.

Could this be just Photobucket's trick to get people to pay for the full service? They're first targeting the oldest accounts?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Does linking to your photos in Photobucket from other sites count By-Tor.

What I'm thinking is someone is linking to your photos and causing this.

Yeah that's what I thought too. But who would link rep pictures and where?

Maybe Ioffer though... I've seen lots of my pics over there. :thumbdown:

But then again you'd need something like 5.000 - 10.000 individual member views to use the full bandwith. I doubt it.

Same happened to me - I think that this is an attempt to make people pay for their free account.

Yep. +1

Time to find another picture host me thinks. :thumbdown:

@Ken: those are just hosting pages. We need something that we can save our photo collections to. Imagecave is crap, it reduces the image quality and resolution, which is utterly terrible for all self-respecting photographers.

Of course the real tragedy is anyone who uses these as BT and I and and many others do and imbed links for the photos in reviews/guides/articles, etc. for the good of the community would all become broken and it would be beyond time consuming to pull them all up, find and reload all the images in to the new service and re-insert all the new links into the docs.

I use PB BTW and have received no coorespondence from them regarding bandwidth.

Smugmug is worth a look. Not a free service, but costs are reasonable and they're very generous with bandwidth (the site is aimed at serious photographers rather than the happy snap crowd).

I think those bandwith issues are directly tied to the age of the album. They start to happen as soon as your account/album reaches certain age... like 3 1/2 years or so.

It has nothing to do with real bandwith used I'm afraid... just people at Photobucket trying to cash people. I wouldn't mind that cashing part, it's a business after all... but lying about bandwith is not cool.