When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mentor a Noob..

lanikai

also, certain members are more knowledgable in certain brands than others. so if a noob clearly intends to make inquiries about a specific brand, the most relevant members should be quick to spot, no?

also, certain members are more knowledgable in certain brands than others. so if a noob clearly intends to make inquiries about a specific brand, the most relevant members should be quick to spot, no?

I think that alot of the members that have been around a while get plenty of pm's from new members,at RWG1 and RG i have gotten thousands and responded to all,it seems people see the members to ask on the forum and this one is likely no different.

This could be a thread where members that don't want those pm's could speak up though,another good idea... :p

Count on me...as mentor or as noob, whatever the forum needs. :)

Maybe we could have a section with the Mentor list as b16a2 suggested, including their area of expertise, so the Noob could find the right Mentor according with his own interest.

Mentor must have a limit of the number of Noobs assigned, to avoid a work overload. The Admin could post comments in section showing with Mentor is open to receive more Noobs. We could have Noob time limit, I mean a member could be considered a Noob after a period of time or after X number of posts, so they leave space for new Noobs.

This is a great idea! Maximum supporter count, minimum best sub questions (although I find those quite endearing)!!!

One question though: how do we make sure that the poor noob won't have to fight off 20 well meaning guides PMing him about upgrade possibilities? Could shy them away...

Yours kindly

Val.

Very good point.Valerian :thumbs: If we start breathing down the new members neck as soon as they walk In through the door it could send the wrong message. I just think that we should not be to agressive when approaching these new members. Dont want to scare them off :) Mike

This is a great idea! Maximum supporter count, minimum best sub questions (although I find those quite endearing)!!!

One question though: how do we make sure that the poor noob won't have to fight .

Yours kindly

I kind of do this now or answer a bunch of PMs when I get them but can those of us that want to do this post our names here

Shundi

and have some sort of system that automatically ties a random member on that list to a new member?

wonderful plan

i had an idea i wanted to propose to the Admin team,

i was thinking maybe we could assign a number of well informed members to monitor the introduction area, and maybe give them a special tag like "

mentor" or something, they'd be around for all the questions noobs might need, and they could have the noob guides ready to be PMed to all new members

taking care of new comers would give them a feeling of belonging, which will encourage them to support this community

ofcourse this is just an idea, need alot of more details but that was the concept..

I like this too...can we submit our names to this and then have the admin team vote/ membership vote by poll on like...25 members to get "mentor" designations (must be platinum, at least 1000 posts, at least a year, in good standing, not a dealer, etc) that will sort of "officially" monitor things?

wonderful plan

i had an idea i wanted to propose to the Admin team,

i was thinking maybe we could assign a number of well informed members to monitor the introduction area, and maybe give them a special tag like "

mentor" or something, they'd be around for all the questions noobs might need, and they could have the noob guides ready to be PMed to all new members

taking care of new comers would give them a feeling of belonging, which will encourage them to support this community

ofcourse this is just an idea, need alot of more details but that was the concept..

Negative.. no tag.. no "badge" . we will "keep it simple" this is not a "teach the noob all about reps" .. they will learn at their own pace and skill as we all did.. we are NOT going to "Control" the forum .. what we can do is "suggest" that the Noob think about "supporting" the forum if they are gaining

Value Added"

In a simple sense.. you don't even need to use the PM.. it may be a better idea to keep everything in the open .. and "suggest" that the member consider an upgrade ..

there is too much room for inconsistencies and time is alway's a factor .. no one is going to "Monitor" these members.. that is the duties of the Admin Team.... we communicate.. support ... simple..

let's keep it that way :D .. just simply suggest without using pm's

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

From an Admin point of view 'Big Noob' is better than a specialized mentor.

As Lani points out the Big Noob mission is not to teach the newbie to become a Rolex or Breitling or Omega etc etc expert over night but to help welcome him/her into our community and gently guide them through the pitfalls.

Kudos Lani. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Ken

Negative.. no tag.. no "badge" . we will "keep it simple" this is not a "teach the noob all about reps" .. they will learn at their own pace and skill as we all did.. we are NOT going to "Control" the forum .. what we can do is "suggest" that the Noob think about "supporting" the forum if they are gaining

Value Added"

In a simple sense.. you don't even need to use the PM.. it may be a better idea to keep everything in the open .. and "suggest" that the member consider an upgrade ..

there is too much room for inconsistencies and time is alway's a factor .. no one is going to "Monitor" these members.. that is the duties of the Admin Team.... we communicate.. support ... simple..

let's keep it that way :D .. just simply suggest without using pm's

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

Well said :good: Mike

Screw the golden rule...I'm only going to help if Admin makes sure Shundi and Ajoesmith are not allowed to change their Avatars.

I offered my services to mentor 1thunder. I'm now signed up.

All I have to say is "1thunder is one lucky guy/gal" :)