When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Time to Meet the Godfather

fotoman

So what watch will this pen go with (THIS IS A GENERAL TOPIC< BECAUSE I"m ASKING ABOUT PENS GOING WITH WATCHES)

Well, here is what i think will be my top of the line pen - The Godfather. Its an expensive one o make because it comes from 2 different sets of pen pieces

i'm also going to make an all black on black version called Luca

now, this one isn't for sale, but would you guys be interested in something like this? african ebony wood. the gold is 24k plate

these are hard to shoot, but teh wood has amazing coloration in it a little green as well as mostly black

thoughts

25072902.jpg

76184814.jpg43180977.jpg

I dont know that much about Pens. :pardon: I have a few, Parker and a cross, and a couple of others. All I can say about the pen above is "MAGNIFACENT",very nice indeed. :thumbs: Mike

Thanks, i had fun making it, last night. I think that [censored] out i did on the bottom is a little more than i envisioned, but it looks cool :)

If i make more like this - (i have to order more wood and kits) would any be interested in buying something like this or similiar and at what price.

I will tell you this particular pen costs close to 25-30 dollars for the materials but the all black one would only be around 15$ for materials.

It generally takes me 1.5 sometimes 2 hrs to work a pen. in lawyer numbers thats 225 an hour :)

but, what is a fair price for something that has lots of love and care - and, has parker ink.

Thanks, i had fun making it, last night. I think that flange out i did on the bottom is a little more than i envisioned, but it looks cool :)

If i make more like this - (i have to order more wood and kits) would any be interested in buying something like this or similiar and at what price.

I will tell you this particular pen costs close to 25-30 dollars for the materials but the all black one would only be around 15$ for materials.

It generally takes me 1.5 sometimes 2 hrs to work a pen. in lawyer numbers thats 225 an hour :)

but, what is a fair price for something that has lots of love and care - and, has parker ink.

I charge

If the watch is called the Godfather the the only watch that would go with it is a Rolex President in yellow gold. I do however fell this pen is more elegant and worthy of a Patek Calatrava or chronograph.

Considering high end pens go for big money, one of these hand carved out of solid wood should sell for over $200 to $500 on the retail market. Here amongst friends, a significant discount should apply............

If the watch is called the Godfather the the only watch that would go with it is a Rolex President in yellow gold. I do however fell this pen is more elegant and worthy of a Patek Calatrava or chronograph.

Considering high end pens go for big money, one of these hand carved out of solid wood should sell for over $200 to $500 on the retail market. Here amongst friends, a significant discount should apply............

There you have it :) The price I quoted was literally only time and cost of supplies, without any 'retail markup' :)

well, thats about what i was thinking, 80 ish in USD + ship

i really like this wood, i have some other projects and woods i have to use up, but i think you guys would like it to seeing it in person, its a very semi glossy smooth as glass feeling. This is definitely my new favorite one.

It's got to be either the BSA Blacksteel or the HBB Big Bang Black Magic black diamond bezel to go with the Luca!!!

Can't see the pens bud but I know how much effort and passion you put into them that alone has to be worth a good bit!!

Sixx :bones:

i really like this wood, i have some other projects and woods i have to use up, but i think you guys would like it to seeing it in person, its a very semi glossy smooth as glass feeling. This is definitely my new favorite one.

That sounds like a reasonable price to me, especially for a hand-crafted item. Had you considered selling them at local craft fairs, or places like that which deal solely with wooden items?

I would think that $80-100. would be more than a fair price for pens of this caliber. I mean there hand made for god sakes. To have a hand made pen would be cool, a conversation piece to be sure. I hope one day to buy one. :) Mike

That sounds like a reasonable price to me, especially for a hand-crafted item. Had you considered selling them at local craft fairs, or places like that which deal solely with wooden items?

actually yes, sort of, i live near a huge mall, at the mall there is a "jewelery exchange" which is a big building that had like 10 watch and jewelery dealers in it. This is where my watchmaker is, he sells watches and some jewelery and stuff. He is a good friend, so i'm going to put a few in his display case and see how they do. I want to have a few ready to go though before i put them out and they take so long to make and i give alot of them away, :) i have to do a few.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I think the Big Bang is one of the more interesting choices so far

Classy pen needs a classy watch bro!! That HBB is a serious watch, heavily understated considering whats on the bezel! Your pen in black, understated, but full of passion and soul!!

Sixx :bones:

yeah i should have shot this one first at ya-all

i have some of those striped pieces of work like my sig. i have some nice dark red solid color pieces. tha i haven't even made a pen from yet.

but i'm sold on this wood for the dark wood projects. I love the grain and how it is really shiney even before polishing. which means i lasts. nice and smooth.

FW2EV9SWOWEXCFELAE.medium.jpg

This amazing looking wood faced wrist watch might not be available in stores, but Instructables user BLADE was kind enough to post a thorough how to showing how he turned a simple Fossil Zane into a stunning custom accessory using a few common tools, a few homemade tools, and a lot of time. Next up on MTV: Pimp My Watch. :) ....

actually yes, sort of, i live near a huge mall, at the mall there is a "jewelery exchange" which is a big building that had like 10 watch and jewelery dealers in it. This is where my watchmaker is, he sells watches and some jewelery and stuff. He is a good friend, so i'm going to put a few in his display case and see how they do. I want to have a few ready to go though before i put them out and they take so long to make and i give alot of them away, :) i have to do a few.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

I think the Big Bang is one of the more interesting choices so far

No problem at all, I'm always interested to see another artists work :)

That definitely sounds like a good way of getting some exposure from interested parties, after all, watches and pens are a good combination :)

FW2EV9SWOWEXCFELAE.medium.jpg

This amazing looking wood faced wrist watch might not be available in stores, but Instructables user BLADE was kind enough to post a thorough how to showing how he turned a simple Fossil Zane into a stunning custom accessory using a few common tools, a few homemade tools, and a lot of time. Next up on MTV: Pimp My Watch. :) ....

:o Faaaarrrrrrk ME! That is one awesome look for a watch :tu:

the passion and skill you have for making these pens just amazing!

the suggestions of the forum members are all good. i would thing to compliment the soul of this pen why not a JLC - simple yet elegant!

i will keep your skill and products in mind since my wife and i have several university graduations to attend to this summer -- individuals gradutating with advanced degrees - MBA/JDs

i don't want to play myself down or anything, but, i mean i also don't want to hold out that i sculpted the gold or anything. I do work on these, i enjoy it very much and i try to make it interesting to the finest detail. But, I am no The Zigmeister, i wouldn't think of touching a movement or trying a relume

teejay and others have all done fantastic work on this forum. What i do in comparison is pasting macaroni on a paper plate :)

having said that - these pens are fantastic gifts, every person i have given these to at my office and to my family have all flipped out, not believing that i could have made it :) So they are great. Its almost like being able to make your own watches, i enjoy my watches and pens in the same way.

these pens are definitely unique - other people sell pens on the internet of course, but, each one is different, even when i try to make them the same, they are different. I try to work with whatever is there and develop it as i comes, I have a general vision going in with where i want to go, but they all come out different then i think. You start shaping the wood, and maybe on purpose or maybe by accident you knick a piece and start working it and then you go in a different direction.

wih this "godfather" pen, i did not intend the [censored] to be that big, but after putting the pen together i really like it.

anyway - just wanted to fairly represent what i'm doing

Nanuq - my friend- its soooo funny that you bring that up - the guitar is amazing, but, i just ordered this camphor burl oversized pen blanks to be made into a "jumbo" pen

here is the wood, its on the way

e49e_1.JPG

here is the pen i'll be using that wood to make

144982.jpg

:) haven't decided what i'm going to do with these yet, they are expensive to gather the parts and wood and bushings and drill bits and such

I nearly forgot Rolex did a wood dial president in the 80's. Imagine his pen on the center console of a Caddy with the wood steering wheel while driving wearing the wood dial President. Oh and wood temple Cartier sunglasses of course......

:o:mellow::o:tu:

That sounds soooo cool :D I don't suppose you have any pictures of it, or recall what it looked like? Did it carry markings, or was the dial more plain? Absolutely fantastic idea :)

i don't want to play myself down or anything, but, i mean i also don't want to hold out that i sculpted the gold or anything. I do work on these, i enjoy it very much and i try to make it interesting to the finest detail. But, I am no Ziggy, i wouldn't think of touching a movement or trying a relume

teejay and others have all done fantastic work on this forum. What i do in comparison is pasting macaroni on a paper plate :)

having said that - these pens are fantastic gifts, every person i have given these to at my office and to my family have all flipped out, not believing that i could have made it :) So they are great. Its almost like being able to make your own watches, i enjoy my watches and pens in the same way.

these pens are definitely unique - other people sell pens on the internet of course, but, each one is different, even when i try to make them the same, they are different. I try to work with whatever is there and develop it as i comes, I have a general vision going in with where i want to go, but they all come out different then i think. You start shaping the wood, and maybe on purpose or maybe by accident you knick a piece and start working it and then you go in a different direction.

wih this "godfather" pen, i did not intend the flange to be that big, but after putting the pen together i really like it.

anyway - just wanted to fairly represent what i'm doing

Bro, different strokes for different folks, and art is art, regardless of the medium :) Your pens are fine examples of hand-crafting, and I'm sure with time, you'll only get more and more creative with that medium :) I've never used a lathe, so, although I know the basic idea of turning, I wouldn't know where to begin with a project like these :) As for movements, well, my latest incident with the movement of my GMTSub has taught me to either not try and cut corners, and do the job properly, or, leave well alone :lol: We can't all be good at every kind of art, but that doesn't make us bad artists, after all, we can't all be Leonardo da Vinci's, we just have to figure out what we are good at, and then focus on being the best we can be within that discipline :) Sometimes, it's the 'mistakes' in art which produce the best work, or teach new techniques, look at how solarization was discovered by Lee Miller and ManRay... Hardly a planned outcome, but one which had lasting applications :good: