When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Review - My New Genuine Planet Ocean

b16a2

This was a really enjoyed read, I like how you left the best till last in terms of pictures and events. I also enjoyed how we came to understand the true reasons why you decided only the Gen was right for you. It seems RobbieG and yourself both came to this same conclusion on the same watch, I believe.

Congratulations on your purchase, in my opinion you picked the best colour combination for the watch and I too prefer the PO on a Rubber/Leather than on the bracelet. I hadn't thought about why I preferred it until now, I think you really hit the nail on the head when you said it makes the watch head stand out rather than fade into the background. It's surprising to me how many 'cheapy' unbranded watches come with metal bracelets these days, I think its for this reason that the Sub is rarely recognised in the crowd.

The only other thing I'd say if I wonder if you're able to get a nice leather strap for it too just for a change now and then, I mentioned Robbie earlier in the post, he owns a beautiful 42mm PO and has purchased a blue shark sirtoli strap which it looks equally great on!

Enjoy your evenings staring at it through a loupe!

@TT - I think that's my favourite too, it looks like it's on the beach, but it's really in my back garden :)

@Ammandel - Yes Robbie's is very nice and the leather straps do look awesome so I think Il follow your advice there and get a couple so that I can rotate them a bit! With regards to the bracelet, it just doesn't give enough contrast. I used to really like my watches on bracelets, but at the moment I much prefer them to be on leather or rubber, it just offers me a little more visual impact when it's on the wrist.

@everyone else, thanks for your kind words!

Congrats on the buy J!

Did you buy locally? Obviously not from those fellas who've been helping themselves to our local jewellers front windows recently! ;-)

I bought this one from Surrey.

With regards to the local incident it's sickening isn't it! They have a security guy outside the door now, quite a friendly chap. Have you been inside recently, they have changed the layout of it, it's really nice in there now.

@TT - I think that's my favourite too, it looks like it's on the beach, but it's really in my back garden :)

It's funny how some things trigger loosely related threads...but that pic, even though it's an Omega on rocks, vs. what would be a Rollie on Sand, immediately makes me think of:

ursula_andress.jpg

It's funny how some things trigger loosely related threads...but that pic, even though it's an Omega on rocks, vs. what would be a Rollie on Sand, immediately makes me think of:

...any excuse to think of the bond girls ToadTorrent ;)

Here's two for you;

P1000909.jpg

P1000910.jpg

Congrats sir, I love your tree pic, here is my UPO back in the day in a tree. She is with the Chief right now. I miss her so much.

Once Chieftang has worked his magic on the crystal you'll love it, the AR makes ALOT of difference n this watch!

Great write up J... There's nothing like the real thing. At current prices on the second hand market, the gen PO is very very appealing to me too.

Cheers B, certainly a very good buy at the moment. If you keep your eyes peeled on TZ, they crop up for good prices now and again!

PS - your AR is still better than the one I have on this one though! :)

I've not been in there for a while - always wearing a rep when I'm walking past :-) Will have to don my Steinhart tomorrow and pop in!

They've been caught now, looks like they've been very busy boys! Argus link

I bought this one from Surrey.

With regards to the local incident it's sickening isn't it! They have a security guy outside the door now, quite a friendly chap. Have you been inside recently, they have changed the layout of it, it's really nice in there now.

Oh my. What a nice watch. The PO (rep)is on my hit list for sure. Maybe one day I can own a Gen like you. I'm curious, is there anything about the watch that didn't meet your expectations? Any imperfections?

None at all. Having owned the UPO (quite a few haha) I didn't think I would be that impressed by the gen because the UPO is built really well. However, it really did exceed my expectations, the fit and finish is really very good, Im really pleased with it.

When you get the UPO see how you like it. Personally I couldn't live with the little flaws, I think it is perhaps because I adore the genuine so much, so it never quite met that level. However, if you don't mind the little flaws there really is no reason to get the genuine. The UPO keeps great time (usually) and it is built very well. With a double AR coating, on the wrist it looks almost everybit as good as the genuine. I was certainly shocked at howmuch better the UPO looks with an AR coating when I got Bwhitesox's Orange PO. The double AR completely transforms the replica from a good rep, to a great rep!