When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Deep Sea Sea Dweller v4 (DSSD) Review by JimBean (Huge Pics)

jimbean

Greetings,

Well, I'm on my third rep now, the GMT IIc, PAM 111h and this, the new so called Rolex Sea Dweller Deep Sea (DSSD or SDDS) version 4. Below is my formal review. Feel free to let me know what you think of it and how it compares to the Gen and to other DSSD versions. Enjoy and please feel free to critique my copy of the watch and comment.

INTRODUCTION:

After getting my GMT IIc and see how accurate and handsome it was, I was hooked. I come from a family of Rolex lovers but I never really saw the appeal of an expensive watch. It's not because I can't afford one, but most likely due to the fact that I'm a cheapa$$. I'm a want something for nothing kid of guy and if I can get 99% of the bang but only have to spend 1% of its value, I'm all in. After getting my PAM 111h, I realized I also like big watches and what can be nicer than a big watch that happens to be a Rolex. Welcome the Rolex Deep Sea v4:

3420562842_a08fb73444.jpg

The Bezel:

This is one of the defining features of the watch. It gives this tool watch some 'bling' factor to go along with its in your face styling and size. Out of the box it's very strong. The black "ceramic" bezel is dark, has a deep shine and seems to be very resistant to scratches. Also, the fonts are accurate, perfectly spaced and positioned, an accurate color, but most importantly, it appears to be the correct thickness. Font thickness seemed to be the weakness of all the other versions. They were either too thick or too thin. This one seems dead on. In my pictures, the font my appear thicker or thinner, but that's mainly a function of the light conditions. I assure you it's closer to Gen then other versions. The depth of the engraving was also very impressive. But like every rep, it's not without its flaws. The bezel numbers lack the precision found on my Ultimate GMT IIc. This is due to somewhat flawed painting or possible over spray, depending on what technique they used. Paint on the vertical edges of the engraving are inconsistent, being either too much paint that spills over the edge onto the bezel or gaps in the paint on the vertical edge. (Pics are pre bezel engraving modification) The good news: it's not that noticeable and I've found a dead easy and cheap modification for it. Look for it in my upcoming tutorial. Overall, the bezel is the best one of all the versions, looks very Gen and is just about on par with GMT IIc bezel after my modifications.

3419772119_918f0b096a_b.jpg

3415389306_f206f4d2f5_b.jpg

The Pearl

Hmmmmmm. The pearl was a bit of a let down during the day light. It does not have a clear sapphire crystal like the Gen or clear coat like those found on my of the other Rep version. Also, it's not a pearly white and does not exactly match the hour makers. The color is more of an off white with hints of yellow and green. Not a deal breaker, but the pearls from the other version would be a welcomed addition. Also, I'd imagine that with a few mods, I can get this bad boy looking pretty sweet. I'll be working on it this week, so look out for the post. But if you're a lume fanatic, this pearl's for you. It's constantly charging from any light source and glows a brilliant blue. It really is quite nice and lasts a long time (still visible in the dark several hours later).

3414595141_3035d274cc_b.jpg

The Dial

In my opinion, the dial is very accurate and is on par with the other version, but includes the nice addition of a beveled date window. The print, second markers, and the hands are great. They look very Gen and are well done. The hour markers are very nice also and have great lume that lasts hours. The one big flaw of the dial is its glossy finish. The Gen has a nice matte finish that I wish the v4 also had. But the mods posted here should solve the glossy dial issue. Other than that, I think the dial is very accurate and impressive.

3415384600_4245198f8d_b.jpg

3414594247_bc530669b4_b.jpg

3415387338_24263ea2e9_b.jpg

The Watch Case, Case Back, HEV and Crown

The DSSD has a very beef case. It's well constructed and screams quality. When I handle it, it feels the way one would image a premium Rolex would feel. Heavy, thick, and built like a tank. The brushed and polished finishes are great and the Escape Valve... Ring Lock.... print is top notch. The CG's look very accurate and are well shaped. The crown is nice and fat, matching the rest of the watch. The three piece case back is wonderfully constructed and looks very Gen. The HEV, looks to be similar to those found on the other versions and is recessed just the right amount. I think it's very close to Gen. Overall, the watch is top quality and handles like the Gen.

3414589799_8aab3bf0c2_b.jpg

3414585563_28b6331169_b.jpg

3414571437_989ed6aaec_b.jpg

The Bracelet

This is the icing on the cake. Just like the other versions of the DSSD, the bracelet is phenomenal. The construction looks just like the Gen, but most importantly, feels like the Gen. My GMT IIc is deadly accurate, but the bracelet does not have that sturdy feel from the Gen. The DSSD's bracelet feels like a million bucks. Combine that with the built like a tank case and this watch feels perfect! The quick micro adjustments are a pleasure to use and the clasp is spectacular. What more can I say, the bracelet is a thing of beauty.

3415403786_ce47db30cb_b.jpg

3415395426_a3acd55171_b.jpg

3415393296_d2bfb0db8c_b.jpg

3414576701_fc3a0c47e3_b.jpg

3414575233_667b008d3c_b.jpg

3415381172_e9526a63a6_b.jpg

3415380324_9ee74099f8_b.jpg

3414568687_7616ef9b7d_b.jpg

The Crystal

It's sapphire crystal and domed just like the Gen. It gives the watch a very unique look and seems to be of the same geometry as the Gen. It's great.

3414591193_95b95c3c51_b.jpg

The Feel

This watch feels AWESOME! It has a great wrist presence and feels as a tool Rolex should. I love wearing it and it's now my daily watch. Words can't describe how nice it feels on the wrist, but if you try this version on or the Gen, you'll get the idea. The perfect watch for you big watch and Parerai fans, but if you really don't like a chunk of steel on your wrist then the DSSD might not be for you. But in reality it doesn't wear too big and isn't really that heavy. It comfortable, but just big and heavy enough to remind you that you're wearing a nice Rolex watch. The winding action is smooth and I've had no problems with the movement (it keeps great time).

Conclusion

This watch is very nice out of the box. Not as accurate as the Ultimate GMT IIc OTB, but with a few modifications, it can be very close. But the feel and build of this watch is AWESOME! It's built like a tank and feels so Gen you'd forget it's a Rep. I recommend this watch if you'd like it despite its flaws or if you don't mind modding. If you can't forgive its faults, it may not be for you. But overall, it's a great watch. I hope you enjoyed my review. Please feel free to ask questions and comment. Thanks for looking.

Comparison Shots, Etc

3415385516_97cda3516b_b.jpg

3414592081_9989998b1e_b.jpg

3414596911_676babab55_b.jpg

3420566102_4bda7ccd60_b.jpg

Edited by jimbean

Very nice review. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on this one.

Wear it well :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Yeah, great review! Thanks. Your wrist-shot really made up my mind - gotta get one of these.

EDIT: (assuming Rolex designers read this as RWG should be a major source of inspiration to them considering RWGs inherent pragmatic, visionary, modding and improvement culture as compared to gen-lovers with somewhat more sheep-herd minds:) Rolex should use their current momentum to move out of the ditch NOW!! Basel 2009? Crap!! Rolex employees need to throw more stones! For example, they would move a hellova lot of units if they dared introducing an oversized "pseudo vintage" Pepsi GMT with red date and bakelite lumed bezel as a sort of a best-of-themselves bastardized self-tribute like the Fiddy etc (which is probably why they won